Our Defence

Ryan.

It's unquestionably our weakest area but what can we do to improve it? Change formation? Change the line up? Pray?

All three would be a good start, We're in a real dog fight now and we simply can't go attacking teams with three strikers.

I think we need to go 4-5-1 (or 4-2-3-1) - we need to cover our weakness rather than just trying to out score teams as it isn't working!

I also think Clark is really struggling ATM, I'd like to see Baker in there with Vlaar, and maybe even put Delph at LB for Bennett. 

Obviously losing Dunne has been a massive blow and could very well be the deciding factor in us getting relegated. I just don't understand how Lambert can leave what is clearly a vulnerable defence so exposed? 

What do I know I'm just a hurt Villa fan hoping something will change.

the left side of defense is most definitely the weakest part, but that has been so obvious for the past 5 months

lowton and vlaar, all good on the right half, although no appropriate cover except lichaj if either are injured

bennett is awful, stevens a slightly little better, but not much by,

baker and clark, well

for me, as i stated in clarks thread, he would best be suited to LB imo, the following till the summer....

Lowton - Vlaar - Baker/Dunne - Clark

come the summer buy another CB to replace dunnes departure and a LB

• 4 months later...

I can see us playing 5-3-2 again or 3-5-2 either way baker okore vlar in the middle, maybe okore could sit in front of the other 2.

I would not feel confident with okore partnering vlar, not enough height in there for free kicks and corners .

It was without question our weakest area last season. It was where Lambert gambled the most and had we gone down, it's what would perhaps have cost him his job. Three of our regular back four were new signings, two of those were youngsters and the 4th defender was also relatively inexperienced; whether it be Clark or Baker. Vlaar was given the captain's armband and tasked with marshalling a defence consisting of kids in a team consisting of kids all while having to acclimatise to a new and better league himself. He did this without giving away penalties, conceding dangerous free kicks, getting sent off or generally messing up. Given the circumstances, it's why I think Vlaar actually had a very good season.

Next season, that defence will be a year older and more experienced and there will also be competition for places. We've already signed a highly rated centre back who I expect will eventually (if not immediately) become a regular in the side and a leftback who will at the very least provide real competition for the improving Bennett. Bennett came in for a lot of stick and rightly so, but he was improving towards the end and with a pre-season under his belt I expect he'll be better again. If he's not (or even if he is) then maybe Tony Moon can come in and do a job. He does have a beard so that's a good start.

We need to get the clean sheet monkey off our back early on - even if the fixtures haven't been kind in that area. And with Sylla as a key defensive midfielder, the defence will probably get more protection than they did until the last few months of last season. All in all, I think they'll be better through a combination of factors.

• Like 1

There were two problems for me last season - the weakness of some personnel, and the 3-5-2 system we tended to play before January.

I trust Lambert has learned his lesson on 3-5-2 and we will never see this played again.

We have a new CB and LB so hopefully that begins to adress the quality issue. Wouldn't mind seeing one or two other additions to the defence before the window closes (someone mentioned above lack of cover on the right).

• Like 1

Not being in a relegation battle should mean cutting out some of the mistakes I reckon. 

We have also bought in a coach who can help on this side of things.

Is this what the new guy's here for right enough?

Height at the back is my concern, don't want to be relying on Benteke to mark key players at set pieces.

Indeed and Okore does nothing to change that, at least that appears to be the common opinion. Baker is good aerially and Vlaar offers a strong physical presence despite not having much of a leap on him. But if we were to go with Vlaar and Okore I'd be very concerned, as is usual these days, at set pieces.

Clark isn't good enough full stop IMO.

Lowton is a fantastic player and hopefully one of Luna/Bennett can step up over the other side.

I'd like to see Clark out and a dominant aerial center half bought in and we can try and find balance from there. We're in for another season of transition, I assume everybody knows that. But we're lucky enough to have found our boots going forward so I can't see a relegation battle. Hopefully with genuine competition the defence will "sort itself" so to speak.

i think our defence is almost complete

left back is not a concern now, however much i dislike bennett, one more season to prove himself seems reasonable, plus hopefully luna will become a solid LB

as for cover on the right, its not much to worry about, herd is capable of it, and there is of course donacien waiting to step up, which im hoping we will see this season

as for central defense, as mentioned, vlaar and baker are solid, dont know on okore yet, ariel ability is a must, abdoulaye ba will certainly sort that problem and probably would cost much

RB - Lowton / Herd / Okore / Donacien

rCB - Vlaar / Okore / Donacien

lCB - Ba / Baker / Clack

LB  - Luna / Bennett / Clark

ive just read an article that stoke are interesting in ba as well, they seem to be a thorn in our side, looks like we will lose out on ba then, although theyve already signed a efender as well, are they looking to push huth out?

ive just read an article that stoke are interesting in ba as well, they seem to be a thorn in our side, looks like we will lose out on ba then, although theyve already signed a efender as well, are they looking to push huth out?

Remind me, why is it that we will definitely lose out because Stoke are interested?!

Remind me, why is it that we will definitely lose out because Stoke are interested?!

Why do I get the feeling this is the same AmdyBM that said Honda is the new Holman .... ?

Stoke have no more pulling power than us, in fact considerably less given the fact that we are signing youngsters and playing them in the Premier League - whether or not we have actually bid and/or had a bid accepted and/or are able to agree wages with Ba is an entirely different matter but if comes down to choosing Stoke or Villa I am not worried.

Defence is for sides that can't score and Alex McLeish...I'm sure it will all sort itself out.

Well, of last season's top 4, Man U had the 5th best goals against record; Man C were 1st best; Chelsea were 3rd and Arsenal were 2nd. They were all in the top 5 for goals scored as well

So that suggests that successful clubs do it well at both ends.  :)

• Like 1

Â