The Cull of the High Earners

smetrov

Didn't Lerner vote for FFP??

What a tool (as the other chairman were too). He now has a declining asset that nobody in their right mind would want to buy as you cannot invest to get back up to the top. I would say it serves him right but some day he'll be gone whilst we are all left to pick up the pieces

IIRC Villa, WBA and another team actually voted against it.

What a tool (as the other chairman were too). He now has a declining asset that nobody in their right mind would want to buy as you cannot invest to get back up to the top. I would say it serves him right but some day he'll be gone whilst we are all left to pick up the pieces

Fulham was the other team.

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1330784/premier-league-clubs-vote-in-favour-of-ffp-plans

My Apologies - I have checked and you are right.

I doesn't change the fact that we have been cut adrift and Lerner will find it difficult to sell.

My Apologies - I have checked and you are right.

I doesn't change the fact that we have been cut adrift and Lerner will find it difficult to sell.

You'd have to think it'd be relatively easy (comparatively speaking in the larger picture) to sell a club that's turning a pretty profit... not many of them exist

Our wage bill must be one of the lowest in the premier league now.

Probably, however, we still have Given, Bent, Delph, Agbonlahor & N'Zogbia on high wages.... and Hutton with his not as high but still reasonably high 30k a week. Plus whatever Delfounso on as he keeps getting mentioned so may be on a high wage too.

30k per week high? We aren't Wolves!

I thought the TV money doubled this season? Randy?

SPEND SOME GOD DAMN MONEY YOU TIGHT FISTED ASSHOLE !!!

We don't get the tv money til summer. And he's just put £90m of his own money into the club... But don't let that get in the way of a rant

I thought the TV money doubled this season? Randy?SPEND SOME GOD DAMN MONEY YOU TIGHT FISTED ASSHOLE !!!

Yes we got a massive cheque all at once.

Are you really going to defend him? Really?

You can do what other clubs do and borrow against the future income.  Obviously you pay interest on the loan and it is more expensive if you go that route. However, getting relegated is more expensive than taking out a loan, but given how close we have sailed to the wind over the past two and a half years Lerner doesn't really appear to care about that. 

Edited by The_Rev

You can do what other clubs do and borrow against the future income. Obviously you pay interest on the loan and it is more expensive if you go that route. Getting relegated is more expensive than taking out a loan, but given how close we have sailed to the wind over the past two and a half years Lerner doesn't really appear to care about that.

Either that or he's plenty confident we won't go down, rightly or wrongly

Well we haven't gotten the TV money yet so how can we spend it?

We aren't trying to score on a street corner.

Why create more debt when we've just cleared it when we can wait till the summer (hopefully) and actually spend a few quid

Why create more debt when we've just cleared it when we can wait till the summer (hopefully) and actually spend a few quid

Unless Villa are in such a conundrum that they require the physical cash in their bank before any expenditure is undertaken (i.e. their cashflow is buggered beyond correction), your above comment amount 'debt' is utter nonsense.

Spending above income equates to a deficit not a debt.

Edited by snowychap

Not if there's a potential sale on the horizon, or new investment, or any number of things

You'd have to be some kind of mental to make any kind of decision about any of those things without taking in to account recent history, current goings on or future (guaranteed) income.

Not if there's a potential sale on the horizon, or new investment, or any number of things

You'd have to be some kind of mental to make any kind of decision about any of those things without taking in to account recent history, current goings on or future (guaranteed) income.

I doubt any decision was made without taking things into account - just because Lerner came to a different conclusion to you about it doesn't mean he didn't take things into consideration

I doubt any decision was made without taking things into account - just because Lerner came to a different conclusion to you about it doesn't mean he didn't take things into consideration

What has Lerner got to do with anything I've posted?

I was questioning your nonsense about 'debts' and not spending money 'before we've got it',

Edited by snowychap

Well we haven't gotten the TV money yet so how can we spend it?

I'm going to predict that the TV money goes straight to the Lerner trust to pay off the remainder of any debt, then Randy will lower the asking price to around £100m and he'll be out of the club to a new buyer fairly quickly.

Edited by villarocker

So all the clubs in the PL get their big TV money check at the same time this summer.

I guess the prices of players will be even more inflated, so the wise time to make deals might be this transfer window?

So all the clubs in the PL get their big TV money check at the same time this summer.

I guess the prices of players will be even more inflated, so the wise time to make deals might be this transfer window?

Some of the effect of the inflation will probs already have happened in teh last window and this. I think the biggest knock-on of this ill be higher wages paid out by prem clubs making the league even more attractive to foreign players. An average squad player in the prem will end up earning as id they were at a top club in other european leagues. The gap between the Prem and the Championship will widen.

Back to the cull, we've still got a few to shift, but with the new TV money this season's books should be infinitely better than a few years ago. I quite like staying at the 60% mark if we can do that and climb the table long term we'll be one of the healthiest clubs in the top flight outside Arsenal and Man U.