The Cull of the High Earners

smetrov

We've already been relegated.

Despite being in the relegation zone by goal difference and the teams around us being as bad as us this season so far, or we'd be adrift on our own, apparently there is

no chance at all that we'll get one point more than those teams in the remaining games.

I hope the team have more bottle and fight than some of the supporters.

But thats not the whole story - Apart from reading we have been beaten quite easily buy all those around us.  Wigan, Newcastle, southampton all at home within the last few weeks. Theres a good chance we will be bottom by the end of Feb. The bookies also make us joint favourites to go down.

We have 14 games left - and probably need to win 6 - thats some upturn in form. It can be done of course - but I trust you will agree it is unlikely.

No I don't agree it's unlikely that we will stay up - I think its very achievable

Our current wages may be higher than some teams above us but the players we are aiming to use over the coming seasons (and even this season) are a lot less than the teams above and below us.

Guzan, Lowton, Baker, Clark, Bennett, Al Ahmadi, Sylla, Weimann, Bannan, Albrighton, Bowery, Westwood and others will be on a lot less than the players that will be leaving this club at the end of the season.

Our average wage was overly high, but we have swung too rapidly in the other direction and now can't compete with any Premier League teams on wages. I would be surprised if any of our newer signings (perhaps other than Vlaar) were on over £20/25k a week. Stupid money yes, but very cheap in Premier League terms.

But I agree, Money doesn't equate to success (in either direction) but there is certainly a strong correlation and we can't afford to compete at the moment. How else can we not compete with the "likes of Newcastle and Stoke"? 

Bennett, Westwood and Lowton on less than £10k a week, KEA less than £20k, Vlaar and Benteke £25k

then you have the youngsters who lets say over the course of a year are on an average of 20k per week - these are all playing and have signed contracts in the last year, or have just been bought in, so i don't think its too far out, from what i understand:

clark

lowton

westwood

weimann

herd

bannan

bennett

bowery

baker

sylla

dawkins

gardner

albrighton

lichaj

stevens

None of these are on anything close to £20k a week - the vast majority are not earning £10k a week

• 10 months later...

So Hairy Hands is now saying that any new players will be limited to £20k pw - thats not even a cull of the high earners - its butchery ! - no way we can sustain a prem club on those figures. We are watching championship players in a big staduim - if this is true its WHEN and not IF we are relegated....

So Hairy Hands is now saying that any new players will be limited to £20k pw - thats not even a cull of the high earners - its butchery ! - no way we can sustain a prem club on those figures. We are watching championship players in a big staduim - if this is true its WHEN and not IF we are relegated....

Agreed.

If we stay up this season we will have to look at that again in the summer. 

If we stay up this season we will have to look at that again in the summer. 

We have been saying this for a few years, the transition is endless.

• 4 weeks later...

Meanwhile on Planet Hutton.....

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-transfers-alan-hutton-3019871

Alan Hutton is holding up Aston Villa's clear-out after snubbing Huddersfield.

Villa boss Paul Lambert has not played Hutton since taking charge in June 2012.

The Scot loaned his compatriot to Nottingham Forest and Real Mallorca last season.

Now Championship Huddersfield want Hutton, 29, who earns £30,000-a-week.

But the right-back has turned them down after being unhappy with the terms of Villa's pay-off.

Hutton joined from Spurs in August 2011 on a four-year contract.

Villa are close to selling Stephen Ireland to Stoke permanently but still want rid of Shay Given, Darren Bent and Nathan Delfouneso.

Edited by theboyangel

......perhaps they should be a bit more skilful in their recruitment process.

prevention is always much better than cure.

some of the managers purchases should be referred to the trades description act.

You thought we'd be relegated last season too (as per the op) - so you've not exactly got form in the accurate guessing stakes.

I like how you're basing your assumptions on the say-so of one forummer that may or may not have accurate info too.

Our wage bill must be one of the lowest in the premier league now.

Probably, however, we still have Given, Bent, Delph, Agbonlahor & N'Zogbia on high wages.... and Hutton with his not as high but still reasonably high 30k a week. Plus whatever Delfounso on as he keeps getting mentioned so may be on a high wage too.