Paul Lambert

Pilchard

That too Paulo. The 'luck' hypothetical thing goes both ways. Ultimately we can only really objectively discuss what did happen.

Hands up from those old enough whom moaned about Saunders, and then Barton.

You can never tell, managers need time and not instant results.....which can cloud over other inherant weaknesses that will later pop up and create problems. A good manager will concentrate on the set up behind the scenes aswell as whats on the pitch.

Lamberts been doing that and its the right way to go.

Theres been to much concentration on instant success for quite a few years at Villa Park, and what has come has been short term. Weve never had the infrastruture or program in place to ever sustain anything.

We grow, then go backwards. Lamberts building to change that, and im 100% behind him in that.

Edited by MagicMushroom
  • Like 1

We were piss poor for the majority of the season. It was mainly due to shite tactics and one of the worst back 4s in living memory. I think Lambert eventually found a tactic that worked. Not sure if it was luck or judgement but the last 3 months of the season was better. What he must do in the summer is bring in three defenders otherwise its going to be just as bad. Bennett and Clark are total liabilities and Baker is still very young but looks like he will be much better than Clark. Then we have the fans favorite Vlaar who really is not that great to be honest. Lambert is just missing a solid platform at the back, if he sorts that mess out we should be top 8.

Then we have the fans favorite Vlaar who really is not that great to be honest..

I thought i was alone in thinking that!

In his defence though, i think it was always going to be a tough first season for him and thats without having three "kids" around him.

Im betting hes performing at a higher level next term. Im pretty confident in predicting that aswell.

In the end doesn’t luck even it self up?

I would say that's very unlikely. :)

Me too. I'd say it'd be very lucky if it did.
  • Like 1

No such thing as luck, only opportunity.

Anyway, this Paul Lambert chap, he's a bloody hipster isn't he? Take off his boating shoes and I bet he's wearing salmon coloured socks.

It kinda fits, I remember him being a bit of a "hipsters" player back in the day.

No such thing as luck, only opportunity.

Have you just been on some kind of 'team building' nonsense? :D

Ha! I don't really believe in "luck", aside from natural intervention (earthquakes and shit). Everything is controllable, changeable.

:wave:  I was appalled when Saunders bought that has-been donkey Peter Withe, and even more so when he then went about ten games without scoring. The rest is history. 

• Like 1

Then we have the fans favorite Vlaar who really is not that great to be honest..

I thought i was alone in thinking that!

In his defence though, i think it was always going to be a tough first season for him and thats without having three "kids" around him.

Im betting hes performing at a higher level next term. Im pretty confident in predicting that aswell.

He needs a stronger partner for sure. I also think a good left back will make a huge difference.

If we do sign Jores Okore i wonder how that will affect the futures of Baker and Clark?

I'm not sure both players will be happy to sit on the bench after tasting first team action last season and i suppose their argument would be we have proven ourselves to be good enough and we have gained enough experience to be even first choice this season.

It will be interesting to see if we do sign Okore will either Clark or Baker ask for a transfer and will Lambert grant that request? 

Baker has just signed a new deal and Clark was reportedly in negotiations.

This Okore kid is not THAT big a signing. I'm sure Baker and Clark will be thinking they can be first choice over some 20yo kid from a backwater league :)

If we do sign Jores Okore i wonder how that will affect the futures of Baker and Clark?

I'm not sure both players will be happy to sit on the bench after tasting first team action last season and i suppose their argument would be we have proven ourselves to be good enough and we have gained enough experience to be even first choice this season.

It will be interesting to see if we do sign Okore will either Clark or Baker ask for a transfer and will Lambert grant that request?

Id happily let Clark go. He has been here a while and doesnt look like he will become the player we hoped he would be. Slow,weak and error prone is how i would sum Clark up. His attempts at defending against Anichebe last season highlighted everything wrong with him.

This Okore kid is not THAT big a signing. I'm sure Baker and Clark will be thinking they can be first choice over some 20yo kid from a backwater league :)

Clark is shite

Translated to..."Anyone that I know nothing about is shit"

Translated to..."Anyone that I know nothing about is shit"

Wind your neck in.

I was trying to say what Baker will be thinking, not what I think of the player.

:wave:  I was appalled when Saunders bought that has-been donkey Peter Withe, and even more so when he then went about ten games without scoring. The rest is history. 

That's something I didn't know...

Talking of donkeys, why didn't Heskey work out as well as Withe?

Ah, didn't know that LondonLax.

Just Clark then.

I wonder would we sell him if the right offer came in? 

Bringing anyone in; Okore or otherwise; should always have the same effect on existing players. They should up their game and try to remain in the side or try harder to get into the side. Competition for places benefits the club because even if the same players end up in the matchday team, the effort they're putting in is that much increased by having pressure sitting on the bench. That's also the one note of caution I'd make about selling Bent for peanuts. It's hard to quantify how much Benteke achieved last season by having someone of that stature waiting in the wings.

• Like 2