Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Has been a tough season but this has been a good year for me mainly as I believe in this team and I want to believe in this team. Maybe last 5-10 years I dont care about Villa squads except for results but plucking players like Lowton, Weimann, Benteke, Westwood, baker even Guzan out of nothing and into 1st XI although had mistakes and problems its great seeing them playing with heart and pride 

We gave it a right good go. He backed himself and his players and it paid off this season.

I think, if I was asked to sum his style up in one word I'd have to say =

Very risky. I know that's two words, I'm joking and if you point it out you owe me £100

and use two words!
  • Like 1

We gave it a right good go. He backed himself and his players and it paid off this season.

I think, if I was asked to sum his style up in one word I'd have to say =

Very risky. I know that's two words, I'm joking and if you point it out you owe me £100

and use two words!

Scroll over my original post :)

EDIT - By the way, I just thought it might not be clear. I mean that literally, hold the button down on your mouse and scroll over what I've written. 

Edited by 8pints
  • Like 1

Wow , some slightly OTT comments re Lambert. He's done well to keep us up after a difficult first 6 months in the saddle . Let's keep a little perspective though eh? Don't want to start coming across a bit WBA .

with 10 wins, 40 points and scoring 45 goals.

For balance should you not mention losses, goals conceded and lack of clean sheets?

This is also a manager that you had no faith in getting something away to Wigan if we needed it to stay up.

Slightly ott? Frankly I think the comments earlier in the season that he was the worst villa manager ever and should be sacked straight away were over the top and the comments now are a natural reaction.

For balance should you not mention losses, goals conceded and lack of clean sheets?

This is also a manager that you had no faith in getting something away to Wigan if we needed it to stay up.

only if you are looking for negatives.

As to a result away at Wigan my thoughts on that were that we just wasn't going to win, it was written in the stars. That does not mean I had no faith in the manager, just that I felt we were feted to lose

Some of the performances under Lambert have been the worst and most embarrassing in the clubs history. We move on though. His biggest challenge this summer will be keeping hold of Benteke and if he fails finding an adequate replacement .

The job has only just started for Lambert.

Having survived a season where many "experienced" high earners were not used, he needs to bolster the team in the summer. The upside is that his existing squad will get better next year just for the experience they had this season and many of those aforementioned high earners are coming off contract.

Should make an interesting summer.

This season was always going to be a roller coaster. But I have to admit that it got much harder than I expected. The lows were were record low. 5-0 citeh, 8-0 chelsea, 0-4 tottenham and then to top it off 0-3 wigan. When we played against chelsea I turned off the TV at 3-0 and I think that's the first time I've ever done that when I watch Villa play. I couldn't even bear to watch our game against tottenham at all. Don't think that's ever happened before either.

But I still liked the way Lambert tried to do things. Going for young players, trying to win every game and always stay positive. Yes, he made more than one mistake and his gambling could've cost us the PL status, but now that we're through I think we can build something really good here. If he can instill the feeling that we can win every game no matter who the opponents are, then we can go far. And if he can keep on finding gems like Benteke, Lowton, Westwood and Sylla it's even better.

Can't wait for the next season.

Some of the performances under Lambert have been the worst and most embarrassing in the clubs history. We move on though. His biggest challenge this summer will be keeping hold of Benteke and if he fails finding an adequate replacement .

That’s a bit of an over statement. How many results can you tell me from 1932-33 season, or the 1892-3 season? or the 1986-7 season. You mean it was the most embarrassing in my memory.

• Like 4

Who we bring in and who we let leave will dictate next season

If we can hold onto our best players and strengthen at the same time i think we can finish top 10

But if we try and do it on the cheap again you better hold on to your butts as were in for another relegation scrap

Edited by AshVilla

only if you are looking for negatives.

As to a result away at Wigan my thoughts on that were that we just wasn't going to win, it was written in the stars. That does not mean I had no faith in the manager, just that I felt we were feted to lose

So a balanced view for you is to just focus on the positives? Not sure that works.

You've also been one of the most vocal posters on here for how cconvinced you were that we were going down.

That’s a bit of an over statement. How many results can you tell me from 1932-33 season, or the 1892-3 season? or the 1986-7 season. You mean it was the most embarrassing in my memory.

8-0 is our worst defeat in the PL era, if not ever (anybody help me with that one?).

That would make it our most embarrassing defeat.

• Like 1

I called for his head in the bleak midwinter. I lost all hope. I was wrong. We saw it through, and will come out much stronger. So different to the end of McLeish's season where there the only way was down. Villa are on the up again. I'm fully behind Lambert now, whoever he buys, from whatever leagues, for however little, I'll keep the faith this time.

• Like 1