Paul Lambert

Pilchard

I don't think he came to a single game this season? Am I correct?

No. I believe he's been on around half a dozen occasions and there have been pictures of him at the ground and training ground this year.

Will be interesting to see what move he makes next in the summer. More of the same similar signings will lead to another season like this imo.

Strong disagree. Most of Lambert's signings have been good to excellent and I think another transfer window will see us improve further.

Most of Lamberts signings have only just started to play well.

If we sign similar players (i.e. lower league youngsters), then it will take an age again for them to adapt. Yes, the ones from this season will be better for the experience but they wont improve that dramatically - especially in the key areas -  midfield/defence.

Its very easy to focus on the last part of the season. That doesnt automatically lead to a good season (or at least full season) next year.

Now there are only two managers in this league who for me give him a run for his money in the "like to have managing Villa" stakes

Moyes and Villas Boas?

laudrup and moyes
  • Like 1

Will be interesting to see what move he makes next in the summer. More of the same similar signings will lead to another season like this imo.

Strong disagree. Most of Lambert's signings have been good to excellent and I think another transfer window will see us improve further.

If we sign similar players (i.e. lower league youngsters), then it will take an age again for them to adapt. Yes, the ones from this season will be better for the experience but they wont improve that dramatically - especially in the key areas -  midfield/defence.

Its very easy to focus on the last part of the season. That doesnt automatically lead to a good season (or at least full season) next year.

I don't think Lambert has a set approach besides signing young and hungry talent. We've also signed players from abroad.

Benteke - brilliant. Been good all season

Westwood - likewise

Lowton - likewise

Sylla - had a positive effect since he's been getting games

Vlaar - not great but we've definitely looked better with him in the team

Lambert should have more leeway with regards to wages next season so hopefully he can get more of his targets.

I just hope we have some sort of consistency next season. It could be a reverse of this term- start of like a train, be around 7-9th at Xmas, everyone gets exicted, we fall apart and come 15th. It would be daft to expect amazing free flowing football every game and a watertight defence, but as long as we carry on making the right steps in tactics, in players, and in self-belief, then the future looks quite postive. I havent said that probably since O'Neill's 2nd season.

Best manager for years and years.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves. He's achieved no more or no less than McLeish. A very long way to go yet before we start building statues of Lambert outside Villa Park.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves. He's achieved no more or no less than McLeish. A very long way to go yet before we start building statues of Lambert outside Villa Park.

With practice, the positivity will come :)
  • Like 1

I don't think Lambert has a set approach besides signing young and hungry talent. We've also signed players from abroad.

Benteke - brilliant. Been good all season

Westwood - likewise

Lowton - likewise

Sylla - had a positive effect since he's been getting games

Vlaar - not great but we've definitely looked better with him in the team

Lambert should have more leeway with regards to wages next season so hopefully he can get more of his targets.

We all know Im going to disagree with Westwood/Lowton. Too put them in the same bracket as Benteke - Brilliant. Been good all season is just utter madness and totally incorrect.

Lowton's been good going forward with a couple of very good performances recently. I think the Stoke goal really helped him. At the same time hes been absolutely diabolical at times at the back. Saved in terms of finger pointing by Bennett at LB.

Westwoods improved over the last month though I feel the improvement of Sylla and Delph has been greater and has helped him. He has not been brilliant all season. That just is not true.

At the Stoke game, Sylla came on and was all over the place. I had no idea where he was playing. Since then he has been much better.

Agree on Vlaar bt cant afford another injury hit season. Has been good recently. 

Im optimistic we can improve, but I dont think any hungry young kids is the answer this time (not that I thought it was last time). We have enough. We need to add just 2 or 3 proven premiership quality players imo and maybe another gem from europe.

Edited by Woodytom

I'm heartened by peoples' affinity with Westwood. It's like they've learned their lessons from Petrov. In a way I think Petrov's absence from the side and the subsequent realisation of what he added to the team has given people an appreciation for Westwood.

Spot on pal. I am sooo exicted about Westwood. He really does look the business and looks eager to learn. What a signing. From league two to a regular starter in the prem in a year, and at 23 years of age. Future captain material methinks. Night all-and what a night!

• Like 1

no more than Mcleish?

Last season we played some of the most negative football with a clique of a squad, no plan for future progression and playing over paid players, actually signing over paid players in the process. We finished 16 on 38 points, 7 wins and scoring 37 goals.

This season we have played exciting football, cleared out dedwood, played young hungry players, increased the value of the squad, not yet finished and potentially will finish higher that 16th, with 10 wins, 40 points and scoring 45 goals.

He has only "achieved no more or less than Mcleish" if you are only trying to justify a stance, in any real sense of comparison he has achieved more than Mcleish

• Like 3

I can't find the Disco Lambo gif.  :(

I think I underestimated the size of the task he had ahead of him this season. He kept us up doing things his way. He has bottle and I'm looking forward to the future now.

Phew.   :flag:

Ive never been lerners biggest fan these past few seasons but many boards/owners would have sacked lambert on the spot in late january so fairplay to him for that. Think we'll only improve with him, especially if he keeps producing signings like lowton and benteke.

Personally I believe Lambert kept his job as Lerner is not really interested in us any more and doesnt pay much attention. A much more hands on owner would have sacked him after the Bradford disaster. In hindsight it was for the best we stuck with him to be honest!

I don't think he came to a single game this season? Am I correct?

As long as we keep ticking over and living with our means he'll be happy until he can sell to someone who will invest the required amount to take us further.

Dont think he has no, as i say not his biggest fan and im not about to be all gooey about him because we've survived im just glad he stuck with lambert whether he knew what he was doing or just though **** it i aint paying another manager off..

We'll be fine.

The same thing said again and again. And again. And it was derided and parodied. But you know what? We were. Paul was right. If anyone was in doubt of his managerial credentials this was it.

We gave it a right good go. He backed himself and his players and it paid off this season.

I think, if I was asked to sum his style up in one word I'd have to say =

Very risky. I know that's two words, I'm joking and if you point it out you owe me £100