Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Record defeat.

Relegation battle

Defeats to teams from the 4th division

Defeats to teams from lower league in the fa cup

Worst GD in the league

Numerous points lost due to bad tactics and defence in the last few minutes

I could go on. As said a first half where we struggled to get a shot in target only t have Lambert say in his press conference that we were a better team? I personally, and i appreciate others may not have the same views, think that Lambert is not the manager that some think he is. I understand fully there are other issues at the club, this thread though is a discussion re Lambert

Glad that Paul is beginning to prove how sensible it is to keep the faith and not the knee jerk response screamed for by a section of the fanbase!

That'll be 'a section' that you have a personal problem with?

literally no clue what you are on about. There has been a knee jerk and over the top reaction, IMO, of some fans screaming for the manager to go. I felt that was wrong and unbalanced and I still do. IMO I am pleased to see lambert proving that sticking with him is the sensible approach and not giving in to an over reaction.

Patrick no need for abuse.

Such a shame that those who feel so strongly in their support for lambert have to resort to abusing others who do not share their views.

While i agree with you that there is no need for abuse, like Lambert or Loath him i dont think its the time to be criticising him with posts about players changing tatics etc.  Yes by all means when we get beat by Southampton and Wigan, but when we have won 2 games in a row for the first time in nearly 3 years i think if you have nothing good to say, say nothing at all.  Everyone is intitled to their opinion but there is a time to express it. 

There has been a knee jerk and over the top reaction, IMO, of some fans screaming for the manager to go.

We haven't all touched him in a corridor once, Percy.
i met houllier and Mcallister too you know, had different opinions of them. So meeting the bloke has two fifths of feck all to do with it and it is to your discredit that you feel it does to be honest.

As I said I felt the over reaction knee jerk screaming for him to go was wrong and far to premature. I am glad that the las two results have gone our way and that lambert is showing it may be right to have a more long term pragmatic view, in my opinion of course.

i met houllier and Mcallister too you know, had different opinions of them. So meeting the bloke has two fifths of feck all to do with it and it is to your discredit that you feel it does to be honest.

It is to your lack of awareness that you put those three things in the same category, Richard.

It's rather pointless to explain it any further as I think that maintaining your position is pushing the part of the faux-naif a little.

Edited by snowychap

Well again literally no clue , I think you are accusing me of something I am not guilty of. In a thread about the manager what I am doing is debating the manager. My posts are really that straightforward with no other conspiracy. I think there are better targets for what you originally suggested was behind my posts to be honest.

IMO lambert will be a top manager for us given time and patience and I am glad that the club did not succumb to the kind of over reaction we have seen at reading and Southampton. Not sure how I could be any clearer.

Edited by Richard
  • Like 1

People talking about how "one second half performance won't change their mind"... We're 9th in the form table. We're on a decent run when it counts most of all, scoring goals, won two on the bounce against relegation rivals and a few of his much maligned signings are playing a massive part in keeping us up. There's a bit more coherency, there seems to be a plan taking shape. 

Yes, he's still infuriating at times with his decision making, we have a constant air of inconsistency as if the wheels could fall off at any moment and that Christmas period will long live in the memory... But credit where it's due no?

• Like 3

People talking about how "one second half performance won't change their mind"... We're 9th in the form table. We're on a decent run when it counts most of all, scoring goals, won two on the bounce against relegation rivals and a few of his much maligned signings are playing a massive part in keeping us up. There's a bit more coherency, there seems to be a plan taking shape. 

Yes, he's still infuriating at times with his decision making, we have a constant air of inconsistency as if the wheels could fall off at any moment and that Christmas period will long live in the memory... But credit where it's due no?

agree with this but I thought one form table I saw had us in fifth, may be wrong

agree with this but I thought one form table I saw had us in fifth, may be wrong

Goal difference.

I'll admit that after Xmas and the Bradford mess that i wanted him gone as soon as. But he seemingly has turned it around so i will gladly eat humble pie if he can keep this going.

dont get me wrong i am still bitterly disappointed about the post Christmas results and I still haven't got over the Bradford results, but sticking with him is 110% the right thing to do imho

Well again literally no clue

Indeed.

In a thread about the manager what I am doing is debating the manager.

You've never 'debated' the manager.

You've ploughed the same furrow all along especially since you were 'privileged to spend some one to one time with the man back in October' and were 'blown away'.

Now that's fair enough for you but to present your position in the way that you do (i.e. that it's all fair and balanced and so on) is crap, Richard.

I hope the manager does well here but I think he ought to be judged on how he is performing rather than how you think he will perform due to washing hands in the same bog.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

I'll admit that after Xmas and the Bradford mess that i wanted him gone as soon as. But he seemingly has turned it around so i will gladly eat humble pie if he can keep this going.

dont get me wrong i am still bitterly disappointed about the post Christmas results and I still haven't got over the Bradford results, but sticking with him is 110% the right thing to do imho

It does seem like that at the minute, and for all Lerner's faults his reluctance to sack managers in the season was probably a good thing this time as it would of been so easy for him to of pulled the trigger. 

Only thing I am angry at Lambert about is Bradford. 8-0 was one of those days, but the cup was inexcusable.

However, if he carries on with this rebuilding like he has done then long live him.

Also Paul, if we sell Benteke, go and pick up Vossen and Finnbogossen. Thanks  :wub:

I've had faith in him so far and I do the believe the pieces are starting to fall together.
He has in my opinion made some very shrewd signings. He's been playing a team consisting of players making their debute in the premier league or our "youngsters" , in one of the thoughest if not the thoughest league in the world.
Players can use a season or two before they even get used to the level of the premiership, and from there on they start improving into decent players.
Just think about the amazing strides some of the players have been making, in one season, all at the same time.
Our young players improves with experience and so does our young manager.

Paul Lambert has been extremly stubborn, too stubborn in my opinion. Still think some of our senior players could have played an important part this season, and some of the "youngsters" will have to be moved on.
However, if he manages to keep us up, and get to build on the spine of the team that's starting to take shape, I dare to say we'll be a top half club once again.

Paul Lambert will go down in the history of Villa as madman or a genius.

• Like 1

There has been a knee jerk and over the top reaction, IMO, of some fans screaming for the manager to go.

As I said I felt the over reaction knee jerk screaming for him to go was wrong and far to premature. I am glad that the las two results have gone our way and that lambert is showing it may be right to have a more long term pragmatic view, in my opinion of course.

Over reaction? We've just won two on the bounce and we're still one place above the relegation zone. That suggests a quite dreadful season so far. I'd say Lambert's got away with it so far. If this was a McLeish side he'd have been hung drawn and quartered by now.

• Like 2

Over reaction? We've just won two on the bounce and we're still one place above the relegation zone. That suggests a quite dreadful season so far. I'd say Lambert's got away with it so far. If this was a McLeish side he'd have been hung drawn and quartered by now.

We're closer to the top half than the bottom 3 :)