Paul Lambert

Pilchard

He's signed 3 defenders and we have the worst defence in the league.

He's contributions to this squad have added to the issues he inherited.

I am sorry but I think you see things in a very simple way. The balance of the squad was all over the place. So, he bought three defenders and now we have the worst defence in the league - we had a shit defence last season too, with more experienced players, and significantly a team that played all out defence, defenders in midfield, defenders up front. This transition was never going to be easy and maybe its been worse than expected but the plan is a good one. His signings look talented.

I stand by it. The problems come from the overall team, and the non-existent options from the bench. Our squad also isn't big enough or good enough for the injuries we have dealt with, and when you start to look at the actual facts behind your statement that we have the worst defence in the league with Lambert's three defensive signings things start to unravel a little. 

For example, when we lost 8-0 the only Lambert defensive signing that played was Lowton. The defence that day was Lichaj Clark Baker Lowton. And in other games Vlaar's been out for a while. You can say that having a lot of squad players (who he inherited) playing has made a very significant contribution to our "Worst Defence in the League". 

The fact is the big wage earners were not adding good value to the team and had to or still have to go (Hutton, Warnock)  - everyone was crying out for a new defence after last year (the all out defence year). The way I see it the thinking behind Lambert's actions have been pretty sound. 

Problem is we get relegated and then what?

There is no way this team will be anywhere near the top of the Championship with the players we have and Lambert in charge (probably minus Benteke). You can see that from the cup games that we have struggled in this year against lower league sides.

We need to put everything into staying up this year, it is absolutely crucial. If we go down we will fade into oblivion like a load of teams have done. Only Newcastle and West Ham have managed to bounce straight back up and stay there. There are so many that have faded out of the PL without a trace and with the squad we have and the manager's tactics, we could well be fighting relegation from the second tier, it's that bad.

If we go down it means this horrendous run has continued all the way to the end of the season.

I don't think we can risk allowing it to continue into the following season.

I would also hate this **** being rewarded with the opportunity to continue to manage us.

the thing about the championship is that it's a long, long season. you can be 10-14th come christmas and still get promoted. that's why i'd give him til christmas, anything after that if we're still looking poor would be folly - the thing just clearly wouldn't be working at that stage

i do see a potential silver lining to relegation, but the chances of it actually panning out that way are slim, so i'm not going to be jumping up and down saying it'll be the end to all our ills when we go down. i think it could put us on the road to ruin, but it might also teach some important lessons assuming we can get back up relatively quickly.

Wonder if Arry' and QPR will get slated as much as Lambert and us tomorrow morning by the press - on paper QPR clearly have a much stronger squad than we do, a shit load more money, and they're lower than us in the league and losing 4-0 to MK Dons. 

Would be interested to see QPR's team against MK Dons?

At the end of the day his signings have contributed to making this squad worse than it was last year.

His tactics and decision making have contributed to making this season worse than last.

There are issues at the club which were never going to be fixed over night but then it also doesn't help when a manager brought in to solve these problems then adds to them with his utter shit performance as a manager.

Also, it is the whole team that defends - being smashed by Chelsea, **** Bradford even, had as much to do with our shit midfield as any defence. 

Shit midfield that Lambert signed two players to play in.

One that's not even good enough to play in this shit team and one very promising young kid who struggles to have an impact on the team.

i do see a potential silver lining to relegation

I just don't.

No guarantee that big earners will leave and will make it difficult to keep any top players.

Missing out on tv money also makes it a difficult task to survive even if we were lucky enough to bounce straight back up.

Look not all signings come off, referring to KEA. 

Big John, I would hate to look at this situation at Villa the way you do. You'll disagree with me as much as I do with you, so I think it's ok for me to say that. 

Your whole argument hinges on 'Lambert contributing to all this' but, in my opinion, that is quite short sighted and doesn't really account for what has happened over the last few years and what needs to happen to sort this club out of the mess that was nothing to do with Lambert.

Lambert is doing it. He has credentials, shit happens, it wasn't going to happen over night. Yadda yadda. Needs more time. 

No guarantee that big earners will leave and will make it difficult to keep any top players.

there's definitely not, but i think the fact that they'd become reserves for a championship team rather than reserves for a premiership team might actually bother some of the egos

given would definitely push off anyway

dunne and warnock are out of contract

ireland would go if we had any interest in him i'm sure

gabby we're probably stuck with on the basis that "he's a villa boy", but if he was such a villa boy he'd happily take a massive cut to his wages (a 60% reduction would be about right)

hutton? might be tough to get rid of, but a promoted side might take him

nzogbia looks like he's putting himself in the shop window so someone might be interested there

makoun... **** knows

bent would definitely be picked up by someone for a ridiculously cut price

the problem there is that the squad, which is too small and too shit, is suddenly without the 8 most senior players. that's not necessarily good news

I just don't.

Missing out on tv money also makes it a difficult task to survive even if we were lucky enough to bounce straight back up.

What top players? "Top player" maybe - I'm sure Benteke would likely go but anyone else who I'd want to stay at the club I think would. Lowton, Westwood, Vlaar, Weimann, Guzan...(I'm struggling now...funny how they were mostly signed by Lambert, eh) 

It seems to me that we lack the ability to push forward and certainly counter attack, because te midfield and attackers have to have one eye on covering our rubbish defence.

You can only be a counter attacking side if you have a solid defence, otherwise all you will do is concede posession and put huge pressure on yourselves.

I play cricket and when you know your batting lineup only has 2 or 3 run scoters you end up playing within yourself and you're always thinking "I can't get out, can't let us get 50-3 cos there's no one else left".

How can we throw ourselves forward at pace like we used to with Weimann and benteke and N'Zogbia when there always thinking "if we lose posession at any point in this attack out defence won't cope without us".

Half the time it's attackers clearing corners and clearing off the line.

I'd be inclined to put Holman in front of the defence, because whilst that isn't his position he has an immense engine and he can just do his best to hassle opposition and slow them down or help the defence out

What top players? "Top player" maybe - I'm sure Benteke would likely go but anyone else who I'd want to stay at the club I think would. Lowton, Westwood, Vlaar, Weimann, Guzan...(I'm struggling now...funny how they were mostly signed by Lambert, eh) 

next season is leading up to the world cup, so some of th international players like vlaar, weimann and guzan will want to show themselves on the highest stage to get selected for holland, austria and the US (maybe austria is not so important as less likely to qualify). So Vlaar and Guzan probably leave as well

Edited by AXD

Look not all signings come off, referring to KEA. 

Big John, I would hate to look at this situation at Villa the way you do. You'll disagree with me as much as I do with you, so I think it's ok for me to say that. 

Your whole argument hinges on 'Lambert contributing to all this' but, in my opinion, that is quite short sighted and doesn't really account for what has happened over the last few years and what needs to happen to sort this club out of the mess that was nothing to do with Lambert.

Lambert is doing it. He has credentials, shit happens, it wasn't going to happen over night. Yadda yadda. Needs more time. 

I don't see how it's short sighted, if this was anyone else the excuses wouldn't be made.

When you look at us and how this season has gone can you really argue that Lambert hasn't contributed to the problems already at the club.

I've said before I know the real issue is Lerner, I've said it longer than most. But Lambert has come in and just added to the problems this club had with some poor signings and some awful managerial decisions when it comes to tactics.

You can honestly think that Lambert is currently doing the best we could expect.

It reminds me of Billy Mcneil - the problems were there long before he arrived - I did however hope he would do more to try and arrest the slide.

We aren't going down because Lambert is a crap manager - he inherited a sinking ship - but once again I was expecting more from him to stop the rot. What looked like brave and bold decisions in August now look sheer folly.

Where we go from here god knows. I get the impression Lerner has a target figure for wages - and will hit that target, if that means we are a championship club - then so be it. I am always a glass half empty man, I know - but I really don't see us bouncing back as we did in 1987

I don't see how it's short sighted, if this was anyone else the excuses wouldn't be made.

When you look at us and how this season has gone can you really argue that Lambert hasn't contributed to the problems already at the club.

I've said before I know the real issue is Lerner, I've said it longer than most. But Lambert has come in and just added to the problems this club had with some poor signings and some awful managerial decisions when it comes to tactics.

You can honestly think that Lambert is currently doing the best we could expect.

Anyone actually addressing the issues at the club was going to find it tough. Lambert is facing the issues head on in a way that I believe can pay off in the long term. And I hope they do. I respect him for what he did at Norwich enough to have faith in him here. I think he is a talented manager, the right age and whatnot. 

I also think he has made good signings. No manager gets transfers 100% right but he's impressed me on that count here and at Norwich. 

I think the squad he has inherited has limited his choices as far as tactics. 

What does "is he doing the best we can expect" refer to? If he solves the problems and gets us in good shape like at Norwich - and we are a bigger club, so then we can push on and fulfill our potential - then he has done a good job. That was never going to happen in 6 months. "Bigger picture."

Oh god.

I don't think I hate a phrase in football more than 'the bigger picture'

Seems to only get pulled out when there is actually no evidence to support an opinion.

Yep, and to me, that sums up your point of view entirely - short sighted. The only evidence I need regarding a "bigger picture" is the common sense that some things take time. 

There are many examples throughout history that would back that up. 

Edited by praisedmambo