Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Do people not realise that changing manager isn't really going to solve anything? It's turning into a vicious circle.

I'm well aware of what I've said in the past thanks. However, there is a limit and as with McLeish I feel Lambert has passed that limit. We do need stability still but why keep on a manager that clearly isn't up to it?

Yeah damn right I've had a change of heart. When you look at the results since then and the dramatic slide that has taken place since the Liverpool game it's not surprising to see why I've changed my mind. This isn't some fickle reaction to our shameful displays against Bradford - it's a reaction to weeks of heavy defeats/shit performances where the manager has got even the basics wrong and has clearly failed to pick his players up.

I was always prepared to back Lambert while we were inconsistent but we've been consistently dreadful for quite some time now.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

One further point on Lambert.

He simply must stop chopping and changing the team.

He must choose his best team and stick to that allowing players to form an understanding, affording injuries of course.

I agree - I think he has taken too long to settle on his best team

Assuming no injuries I think he will go

Lowton------Vlaar--------Dunne--------Bennett

-----------------------Herd-----------------------------

----Westwood-----------------Delph----------------

------------------------Zog-------------------------------

------------Benteke----------Weimann-------------

with Given, Clark, Baker, Holman, Ireland, Gabby & Bent on the bench

I think that might just be enough to see us safe but injuries could kill us

A couple of decent signings or even loanees are badly needed

I'm kind of optimistic going forward under Lambert, even without any new signings.

Let's see what we can do with Vlaar back in the team, an improving Delph/Westwood partnership and NZogbia playing out of his skin.

There have been signs of how we can play lately, if we can stretch that over 90 minutes then we'll start picking up more points. There IS a good team in there somewhere, it just needs to find some attitude from somewhere.

What experience could he buy within the wage structure available?

Quality experienced players were not going to come here with the wages we were offering

Our budget is still a lot better than teams like Reading, Norwich, Southampton, Wigan, West Ham, Stoke etc.

There are tons of players we could have got that have all played PL football and are better than what we have now or would add to us.

Junior Hoilett, Nzonzi, Ji Sung Park, Bassong, Adam, Hitz would all have added to our team plus a ton of others, just look at anyone who signed for Newcastle for example.

For some reason Lambert spent all of his money on Benteke and while hes a great player what really needed fixing was the core of the team and getting service to Bent. The fact we now have a 24m striker on the bench yet we have a defence that cant keep a clean sheet to save its life shows something has gone seriously wrong.

• Like 1

I'd be tempted to put Clark DM, can tackle and a good passer of the ball

I think he prefers Herd there but Clark could well get a good few games too given Herd injury problems

Anyone know when Dunne is likely to be available - he's go to be within a couple of stone of first team fitness by now?

Our budget is still a lot better than teams like Reading, Norwich, Southampton, Wigan, West Ham, Stoke etc.

There are tons of players we could have got that have all played PL football and are better than what we have now or would add to us.

Junior Hoilett, Nzonzi, Ji Sung Park, Bassong, Adam, Hitz would all have added to our team plus a ton of others, just look at anyone who signed for Newcastle for example.

Really!!

Nice to see Adam mentioned - he's earning about what 6 of our new signings in total are earning.

What about Berbatov - he hasn't had a mention for a few pages and as we know would play for peanuts

It's like Groundhog Day!!

Really!!

Nice to see Adam mentioned - he's earning about what 6 of our new signings in total are earning.

What about Berbatov - he hasn't had a mention for a few pages and as we know would play for peanuts

It's like Groundhog Day!!

How much do you think our new players are on? 2k a week? He isn't on anywhere near as much as you think. I didn't even mention Berbatov, so why you bring him up I have no idea.

If our budget can't complete with the likes of Stoke and Norwich then we are ****.

You are so so wrong. Norwich are offering Gary Hooper £40,000-a-week if they can do a deal with Celtic.

I beleive you re Hooper but why has PL come to Villa if we can't compete with Norwich? and secondly why can't we compete with Norwich - we have richer owner and bring more money in

Lerner is resetting the finances - will we be back in the market for the Sissoko's of this world anytime soon

It probably can but the problem is we have a lot of high earners already, they're just not playing because they're mostly shit. I don't agree with Lerner's transfer policy of not spending at all but I do believe that if we can shift the likes of Given, Ireland, Hutton and Bent along with the already departing Dunne and Warnock at the end of the season then he might spend a fair bit in the summer. I get the impression the problem has always been the wages.

How much do you think our new players are on? 2k a week? He isn't on anywhere near as much as you think. I didn't even mention Berbatov, so why you bring him up I have no idea.

If our budget can't complete with the likes of Stoke and Norwich then we are ****.

How much do you think Adam is on??  I think Westwood, Lowton and Bennett are on £10k a week max, KEA around £15k, Bowery about £6-8k, Benteke around £20k

Adam will be on around £60k (as is Ireland)

....and no we can't compete with the like of Stoke or Norwich at the moment

You are so so wrong. Norwich are offering Gary Hooper £40,000-a-week if they can do a deal with Celtic. Villa couldn't even get close to matching those wages never mind the transfer fee. Are you serious about Reading....what do you think they are paying Remy? Get real. Wigan's wage bill is very high and lets not go there with West Ham. Bassong is also on £40,000 at Norwich now that I notice you have mentioned him as well. And yes, Adam is on serious money at Stoke.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but if you are going to post things as fact then please try and carry out a bit of research or thought to your post!

Wigans wage bill is high? Its one of the lowest in the league at about £40m. You also seem to think Remy plays for Reading so I suggest you do some research before you post as well.

Any one player who is a first team player in the Prem is going to expect about 20-30k a week min and to say we can't afford that is silly.

I agree - I think he has taken too long to settle on his best team

Assuming no injuries I think he will go

Lowton------Vlaar--------Dunne--------Bennett

-----------------------Herd-----------------------------

----Westwood-----------------Delph----------------

------------------------Zog-------------------------------

------------Benteke----------Weimann-------------

with Given, Clark, Baker, Holman, Ireland, Gabby & Bent on the bench

I think that might just be enough to see us safe but injuries could kill us

A couple of decent signings or even loanees are badly needed

That would be my starting Line up. Don't think we would get relegated with that team.

You are so so wrong. Norwich are offering Gary Hooper £40,000-a-week if they can do a deal with Celtic. Villa couldn't even get close to matching those wages never mind the transfer fee. Are you serious about Reading....what do you think they are paying Remy?

For me, the best three players for Villa this season have been Benteke, Westwood and Guzan. (Strange that two are Lambert's signings and the other he made a decision to keep at the club). Vlaar, I'm sure most would agree, has looked pretty decent when he has been available but one of the biggest problems at Villa is that there is a dressing room packed with players who have spent the last few years underachieving and show not a great deal of interest in trying to change that. 

Villa wouldn't start progressing properly until the likes of Ireland, Nzgobia and Bent are finally shown the door and release up massive amounts of wages. Then, and only then, will things gather momentum. In the meantime, it is simply about trying to pick up as many points as possible to stay in the division. All the teams around us have been spending money and it would have made sense, having watched him sign some good players, to give him some more money to work with

I agree with that overview. The issue is whether the speed of change is too fast. I don't envy him his task.