Paul Lambert

Pilchard

He's had £43m to spend over 2 years.  Not a fortune, but enough to at least get a team capable of playing halfway decent football, and he's failed to do that.  He also failed to get anything out of most of the players who were here, which if he had done, would have made his money go further.  His transfers have mostly been atrocious, that midfield today was abysmal, and they're all his buys.  He's also spent money on the likes of Bowery, Helenius and Kozak which could all have been better spent elsewhere.  That's the thick end of £10m gone right there on players who haven't made a shred of difference.

I think lambert has made some poor decisions with transfers but he's clearly restricted by the wages he can offer.

He wanted better and our owner wouldn't allow it.

I don't yet see what Bowery and Helenius offer but in fairness they were relatively cheap

Kozak I think will be decent and probably has been bought as an alternative / replacement for Benteke

We could argue all day about if someone could he have got better for the same money - you guys think that they could, personally I doubt it

In his defence I don't think what was here before was any better and they probably earned and cost four times as much

If Lambert were still at Norwich, doing what he did, I think there would be a clamour for us to sign him up. The fact that he is finding it so difficult here probably says more about our deficiencies than his

I have just been reading the Spurs forums for laught and amusing;y there are Spurs fans calling for AVB to be sacked and replaced with Lambert :D

No way :D

Link?

http://www.glory-glory.co.uk/showthread.php/3867-***The-Official-AVB-Discussion-Thread***/page217

I will swap Lambert with AVB all day long.

I cant believe what im reading. Eye catching football? Playing the right way? Christ, they haven't seen us much. Palace play better football than we do.

You can't have watched much of Spurs either. They hardly score and had 0 shots on target at home today. 

That's after AVB spent £100m on new players. 

Living in London I can tell you all that Villa is pretty much anonymous down here.

Nobody talks about us (unless I bring Villa up in the conversation) and nobody cares about us. We are dire and predictable. On the odd occasion that I've talked about Villa it just raises contempt for the football we play. It's actually come to a point that my work colleagues think the premier league would be better off without this great club.

I really hope that Lerner and Lambert know what they're doing with this five year plan because I've seen better 'progress' from pub teams.

Our one-dimensional hit and hope counter attack has been well and truly sussed now so expect a torrid second half of the season. I think we'll beat relegation by a whisker again.

Oh, and for those who think that league position is the only indicator of progress (which it isn't) think about this: We are six points from third from bottom but fourteen points from Third.

I live in Birmingham and I can tell you that no-one talks about Everton, Swansea, Newcastle etc etc

Why would they be interested in Villa in London??

We didn't play that well today, but one thing we didn't do was hoof.

Exactly. The problem today was the end product, not the style of play. As I said though it's become a thing now so it will be brought up regardless of how we actually play.

Edited by Mantis

I have just been reading the Spurs forums for laught and amusing;y there are Spurs fans calling for AVB to be sacked and replaced with Lambert :D

No way :D

Link?

http://www.glory-glory.co.uk/showthread.php/3867-***The-Official-AVB-Discussion-Thread***/page217

I will swap Lambert with AVB all day long.

I cant believe what im reading. Eye catching football? Playing the right way? Christ, they haven't seen us much. Palace play better football than we do.

You can't have watched much of Spurs either. They hardly score and had 0 shots on target at home today. 

That's after AVB spent £100m on new players. 

I have, I think they are struggling to gel as a team and Soldado is very poor front man but at times their movement is terrific. Would much rather watch us with a tactical thinking manager in charge even if it isn't working that well for him at Spurs.

I love how people say we're going backwards. If we had a football team full of superstar players, or even some real quality footballers, I'm sure we would be playing a different style of football.

We don't though, we have an average of £2.5m spend per player if are to believe that we have spent around £40m. That isn't a lot of money at all compared to other teams and in turn you get what you pay for. 

The same people that moan about the players we have are the ones that moan about the style of play, what do you expect? I'd rather we're 11th place, grafting out results, keeping some clean sheets and so on rather than trying to impress people with dazzling football that the team aren't capable of doing consistently, in turn leading us to a relegation scrap if not an actual relegation. See Martinez at Wigan as people have already stated.

Maybe the silky football will come, but it won't be anytime soon because of the money that Lambert has to work with. Now he has built his skeleton, his squad, hopefully he can begin to add some quality bit by bit which will then hopefully lead us to a team that plays the way many of us would love to see.

For now though, points on the table are the most important thing, we do not want to be pulled into a relegation scrap.

La la land. We are in a relegation fight - look at the crud we play and then look at the points instead of the position.

We're as close to 8th as we are to the relegation zone, with the games coming up we can pull ourselves away further, should we not do that then obviously my opinion will change but I can only give my opinion on what is actually going on right now not some made up situation where we lose every game or win every game. What I expect is around 7 points by January 1st, which puts us at 26 points. We also play against 3 teams that are currently below us, again giving us a way to pull ourselves away.

Nothing La La Land about it mate.

I really don't understand why there is such negativity following a loss to the current champions, if we had beat them we'd probably have had posts about getting into Europe.

AVB is very naive tactically.

The fact that he persists with Soldado up front even now shows that. He's not a lone striker and every man and his dog can see that. Also was tactically shite at Chelski.

Oh, and for those who think that league position is the only indicator of progress (which it isn't) think about this: We are six points from third from bottom but fourteen points from Third.

This is a bizarre stat??????

We have literally no chance at all of finishing 3rd - why would that be some yardstick to be measured against? The best we could possibly hope for this year would be about 10th and we are 1 point off that

Last season 10th to 18th was covered by 10 points so as a team with ambitions which are firmly mid-table we are by definition always going to be within a handful of points of the bottom teams

This is a bizarre stat??????

We have literally no chance at all of finishing 3rd - why would that be some yardstick to be measured against? The best we could possibly hope for this year would be about 10th and we are 1 point off that

Last season 10th to 18th was covered by 10 points so as a team with ambitions which are firmly mid-table we are by definition always going to be within a handful of points of the bottom teams

Just as close to 8th, it seems people almost want something to be negative about, ridiculous to be honest.

• Like 1

Living in London I can tell you all that Villa is pretty much anonymous down here.

Nobody talks about us (unless I bring Villa up in the conversation) and nobody cares about us. We are dire and predictable. On the odd occasion that I've talked about Villa it just raises contempt for the football we play. It's actually come to a point that my work colleagues think the premier league would be better off without this great club.

I really hope that Lerner and Lambert know what they're doing with this five year plan because I've seen better 'progress' from pub teams.

Our one-dimensional hit and hope counter attack has been well and truly sussed now so expect a torrid second half of the season. I think we'll beat relegation by a whisker again.

I live in Birmingham and I can tell you that no-one talks about Everton, Swansea, Newcastle etc etc

Because it tends to be a cosmopolitan city where people gravitate to from all over the country and world. People down here do talk about all kinds of teams (granted there are a load of plastic reds and pool fans). I happen to think its quite indicative of our status in the game.

• Like 1

lambert is just too stubborn no point asking for another change

I love how people say we're going backwards. If we had a football team full of superstar players, or even some real quality footballers, I'm sure we would be playing a different style of football.

We don't though, we have an average of £2.5m spend per player if are to believe that we have spent around £40m. That isn't a lot of money at all compared to other teams and in turn you get what you pay for. 

The same people that moan about the players we have are the ones that moan about the style of play, what do you expect? I'd rather we're 11th place, grafting out results, keeping some clean sheets and so on rather than trying to impress people with dazzling football that the team aren't capable of doing consistently, in turn leading us to a relegation scrap if not an actual relegation. See Martinez at Wigan as people have already stated.

Maybe the silky football will come, but it won't be anytime soon because of the money that Lambert has to work with. Now he has built his skeleton, his squad, hopefully he can begin to add some quality bit by bit which will then hopefully lead us to a team that plays the way many of us would love to see.

For now though, points on the table are the most important thing, we do not want to be pulled into a relegation scrap.

La la land. We are in a relegation fight - look at the crud we play and then look at the points instead of the position.

We're as close to 8th as we are to the relegation zone, with the games coming up we can pull ourselves away further, should we not do that then obviously my opinion will change but I can only give my opinion on what is actually going on right now not some made up situation where we lose every game or win every game. What I expect is around 7 points by January 1st, which puts us at 26 points. We also play against 3 teams that are currently below us, again giving us a way to pull ourselves away.

I really don't understand why there is such negativity following a loss to the current champions, if we had beat them we'd probably have had posts about getting into Europe.

we have progressed since lambert took over but gone backwards since the end of last season, 

realistically we the highest we  could finish is 8th so we are not actually doing too bad, throw in a decent cup run and some better football and it turns round a better season

I think hes signed players that fit in well to the systems he tries to play, unlike Lambert IMO. Spurs defensively started well but goals is just a real problem for them, if they had anyone half decent up front I think they would be up there.

Just looked at Spurs results, they have had a couple of bad ones but overall are okay and in touch with the top 4. Iv seen them a lot they pass the ball well and movement from midfield isn't a problem, they look much better with Defoe up front and they created a load of chances against Sunderland when he started.

The one thing Lerner fears is another manager hunt. So reckon lambert is pretty safe. I do feel Lambert needs at least 2 convincing wins from the 4 games below:-

Stoke (Away)

Palace (Home)

Swansea (Home)

Sunderland (Away)

Sure we could loose all 4 , with barley a whimper from Lerner. - But poor results in those games and Lambert would be in lame duck mode - as some one said at the start of the week its 50/50 whether he's here next season - which I agree with.

Because it tends to be a cosmopolitan city where people gravitate to from all over the country and world. People down here do talk about all kinds of teams (granted there are a load of plastic reds and pool fans). I happen to think its quite indicative of our status in the game.

Absolute tosh.

I think hes signed players that fit in well to the systems he tries to play, unlike Lambert IMO. Spurs defensively started well but goals is just a real problem for them, if they had anyone half decent up front I think they would be up there.

Just looked at Spurs results, they have had a couple of bad ones but overall are okay and in touch with the top 4. Iv seen them a lot they pass the ball well and movement from midfield isn't a problem, they look much better with Defoe up front and they created a load of chances against Sunderland when he started.

Yet HE just spent 27m on a striker who doesn't fit in a one man striker system whatsoever. He's not all he's cracked up to be.

Edited by StefanAVFC

The negativity has nothing to do with today's game. Taken in isolation I have not much issue with it. It's the last two months plus. You think we'll get 7, I think we'll do well to get 4 by Jan 1st. I hope you're right.