Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Is it just me, or does anyone else the loss against fulham makes us far more likely to beat united next weekend? there was precisely no chance of us winning 3 in a row, but win loss win... that's  about right

Edited by P3te

Is it just me, or does anyone else the loss against fulham makes us far more likely to beat united next weekend? there was precisely no chance of us winning 3 in a row, but win loss win... that's  about right

Not me. I think we will lose against ManU. Not the end of the world they are an expensive team. I do hope we play a bit better though.

If he left the club tomorrow would I be upset? Not at all.

You wouldn't be upset that we'd have to start all over again and throw away the relative stability we've had recently?

stability at what cost and what objective? Stability is great if what you have is doing OK.

Who knows what the future will bring but as with last season it aint very good, and even the most blinkered fan of Lambert would have difficulty to provide evidence to counter that

But we are doing OK. One bad result doesn't change that. It's almost as if people have forgotten where we've come from in the past 3 seasons. I'd take stability and security, and I guess you can say mediocrity over relegation battles any day. That's where we are right now, and we don't just go from there to challenging for Europe in 1 season, unless we're spending big.

Do you honestly believe we won't be in a relegation battle this season? Forget Man U. we are due an absolute kicking the the way we're playing. It's those below us I'm looking at and we are amongst the most predictably dull and dreadful in there.

Not me. I think we will lose against ManU. Not the end of the world they are an expensive team. I do hope we play a bit better though.

Damn you C'n'B... :-p

It's my birthday weekend when we play United at Villa Park. We better had **** win!!!!

Oh and I wonder if anyone will use berbatov to mock morpheous tonight?

Berbatov is a liability - he turns up for one in ten games - playing for a transfer in January at the moment

We would have been relegated if we had signed Berbatov

Not only biased but wrong.

Berbatov was Fulham's top scorer last season with fifteen goals and no we wouldn't have been relegated as he would have had an even more positive affect than Keane did under McLeish.

So I'm biased and youre fair-minded, especially where Lambert is concerned....got it

Berbatov doesnt seem to be having the "more positive effect" on 19th place Fulham that your talking about does he?

£80k a week Berbatov, as a replacement for 7 or 8 £10k a week Lambert signings was a ludicrous suggestion for Villa and would have relegated us......so it's you who is wrong

Berbatov plays one game in ten

Berbatov is a liability - he turns up for one in ten games - playing for a transfer in January at the moment

Berbatov was Fulham's top scorer last season with fifteen goals and no we wouldn't have been relegated as he would have had an even more positive affect than Keane did under McLeish.

Don't know how you can brand an opinion wrong.

Personally I think it's a bit of a stretch to claim we would've been relegated with Berbatov - we just don't know. Equally however you can't really claim that he would have had a really positive effect when you too don't know what would've happened had he joined.

The opinion is wrong because it has been proven wrong.

This site has been crying out for a number 10 or an AM has it not. What happened when Robbie Keane joined us? We suddenly had that number ten and even under Mcleish with Keane in the team we actually played some decent football.

I think you'll agree that Berbatov is at least on a par with Keane's ability so the introduction of Berbatov to our side would have had the same or even better affect as proven last season with his contribution to a team like Fulham.- his "contribution" this season has got them as high as 19th!

Sorry folks but i was right about Berbatov's ability and it was proven again today against players who were nowhere near the same in class.  

Morph - just about to hit the sack to can't enter a debate pal but Berbatov is a waste of time discussing. Yes, he is a great player. Lambert would take him every day of the week but like many others he is miles outwith the budget. The same goes for Gareth Barry. The same goes for Lukaku. How many hints does the manager need to drop that there isn't money for that type of signing - just the other week he said WBA have more spending power.

He has nothing against older players - he knows he could be doing with some. But fingers have been burnt previously with more expensive signings and therefore he is having to go down a route of signing younger players who will hopefully improve and either be sold on for a healthy profit for stay at the club.

We could all pick out 100 names of players we would like to see at the football club but it isn't as easy as that. I don't know if it was you but someone on here suggested Charlie Adam on here last season - he is even too expensive right now. I take it whoever mentioned Nani and Young was having a laugh.

I think he will sign a playmaker in Jan and maybe that will help change the style of play. Ideally, he would also sign a physical midfielder with height and power - you know someone like Wanyama at Southampton but once again he'd need to find a cheaper version of that.

Good night!

Hi HH and thanks for replying.

Yeah mate I know and I fully understand. With me the issue is no longer why we didn't sign him due to your revelations on finance but the fact that I was constantly being mocked on site due to my opinion of his ability which was the reason for this debate as you can read above (crap comments) :rolleyes: . Indeed one poster before the game yesterday did state his concerns about the stick I would receive if we had lost yesterday and with the reaction since the game with those trying everything to save face I have no doubt those very same posters would have continued to mock me on site.

Given the choice however of that or a Villa win I would have taken the villa win all day long.

I think Berbatov said it far better with his performance yesterday than I ever could with words but it's a pity that those posters rather than just eating a little humble pie and admitting that they were wrong have now resorted to ridiculous debate to try and justify their position.

• Like 1

Pure assumption.

Nope based on his form last season is not assuming anything and the way in which he played against us today again.

Of course it's an assumption. So you think players play the same at whichever club they're at?  So Ireland played as well for us as he did at Man city, Nzogbia as well for us as he did at Wigan?

To say we would have been relegated with Berbatov or saying "he would have had an even more positive affect than Keane did under McLeish"  is frankly ridiculous because nobody knows what would have happened if he'd signed for us.

Yet he went to Fulham one of the less glamorous clubs in the Premiership with players similar to our own standard and scored fifteen goals. Therein lies the problem with your debate.

Reference to you bolded text.

Ha, ha. VillaCas stated that Berbatov was 'crap' so if he is crap then what does that make our team due to the fact that our midfield were chasing his shadow all day and it isn't pointless as it is the perfect comparison yet you refuse to accept it.

I "refuse to accept it" because you're basing it all on one game.

Again a complete change of the goalposts and again a pointless debate since i'm not basing his abilities on just one game as my previous comments bare out.

Give it up mate as he has proven in previous games against us and when playing for other teams he is a quality player and one which we have all been crying out for some time.

I'm sure if he had been our player and put in the performances he has previously with Fulham then you, VillaCas and vast majority of this site would be saying that he has been a great signing.

Just sour grapes which I find a tad pathetic. 

Pure assumption.

Nope based on his form last season is not assuming anything and the way in which he played against us today again.

Of course it's an assumption. So you think players play the same at whichever club they're at?  So Ireland played as well for us as he did at Man city, Nzogbia as well for us as he did at Wigan?

To say we would have been relegated with Berbatov or saying "he would have had an even more positive affect than Keane did under McLeish"  is frankly ridiculous because nobody knows what would have happened if he'd signed for us.

Yet he went to Fulham one of the less glamorous clubs in the Premiership with players similar to our own standard and scored fifteen goals. Therein lies the problem with your debate.

He went to a Fulham team that's one of, if not the, oldest in the Prem. Full of experienced players.  We are the youngest, and one of the most inexperienced, teams in the Prem. Even if the teams were carbon copies of each other there is still no guarantee that any form he had with one club would be replicated with another. Players form can vary massively between seasons with the same club, let alone at a different club.

You cannot prove how we would have fared with Berbatov here. You cannot prove how well, or badly, Berbatov would have played here.

Assumption : a thing that is accepted as true or as certain to happen, without proof:

Edited by Ghost_of_Pongo_Waring

Don't know how you can brand an opinion wrong.

Personally I think it's a bit of a stretch to claim we would've been relegated with Berbatov - we just don't know. Equally however you can't really claim that he would have had a really positive effect when you too don't know what would've happened had he joined.

The opinion is wrong because it has been proven wrong.

This site has been crying out for a number 10 or an AM has it not. What happened when Robbie Keane joined us? We suddenly had that number ten and even under Mcleish with Keane in the team we actually played some decent football.

I think you'll agree that Berbatov is at least on a par with Keane's ability so the introduction of Berbatov to our side would have had the same or even better affect as proven last season with his contribution to a team like Fulham.- his "contribution" this season has got them as high as 19th!

Sorry folks but i was right about Berbatov's ability and it was proven again today against players who were nowhere near the same in class.  

Yet under a new manager he has started to play well again. Go figure.

Pure assumption.

He went to a Fulham team that's one of, if not the, oldest in the Prem. Full of experienced players.  We are the youngest, and one of the most inexperienced, teams in the Prem. Even if the teams were carbon copies of each other there is still no guarantee that any form he had with one club would be replicated with another. Players form can vary massively between seasons with the same club, let alone at a different club.

You cannot prove how we would have fared with Berbatov here. You cannot prove how well, or badly, Berbatov would have played here.

Assumption : a thing that is accepted as true or as certain to happen, without proof:

And you have absolutely no evidence whatsoever to prove that he would have failed here. Conversely i have produced evidence as to why he would have been a successful signing which really cannot be argued with so no it isn't an assumption.

Edit. He played for Spurs with young players and he played for Man U with younger players and was successful for both teams so your other point is eh, pointless.

Edited by Morpheus

I thought Herd handled Berbatov quite well. I still would not swap any of our players for Fulham's.

Emmm, they dominated us yesterday and we lost.

Yes I am aware of that. But it was hardly a "dominate" performance by Berbatov. Their whole team played well and that got them the result.

Edited by GENTLEMAN

Going to leave the Berbatov debate now as i'm sure the powers that be are tearing their hair out at how off topic this has become.

As i have previously stated to HH Berbatov proved yesterday as did several of Fulham's other players that even though you are facing a team with a combined age much younger than your own as long as that experience is quality experience and you have a manager that is willing to utilise that, to play in a way to get the best out of the players available, then you will always have a chance especially if you can amalgamate both and that was always my original point.

It's pretty frustrating just how tight our budget is.  We must have quartered the wage bill over the last couple of years, and Everton have always been meant to be the skint ones (although they have never been as skint as their fans like to make out), we have to watch them sign all these players that would vastly improve us.  Surely City would pay a large amount of Barry's wage?

Edited by Wainy316