Paul Lambert

Pilchard

To be fair, he inherited a squad with experience that had basically finished up not far off where his own side did the season after. it wasn't a GREAT squad by any means but it was one that should easily have been mid table given the players in it. the fact it wasn't was down to a mixture of the then manager and the entire gloom that his appointment brought upon the club and everyone involved with it.

A large percentage of players in that squad are playing in the Championship. What does this tell you about that team/squad? 

Lambert decided on wholesale changes rather than subtle tweaks. it didn't make us look a great deal better or end up with us finishing a whole lot higher either. In fact his gamble nearly got us in a right old mess. Thankfully we stayed up and lived to fight another day. Which is hardly something to be shouting from the roof tops about at a club like ours (IMHO)

McLeish tried subtlety tweaking the squad with a few signings, sadly it did nothing to improve our fortunes on the pitch. It only increased our wage bill and lumbered us with more poorly motivated players. 

There seems to be some weird belief that EVERY player if given time will develop into a much better one, same with managers. it's simply not the case. SOME do, SOME don't, SOME get worse. Fergir didn't become a great manager just because Man Utd stuck with him, he WAS a great manager regardless. McLeish wouldn't have become a great manager if we'd stuck with him and his turgid football, will Lambert?. None of us know. I want to see some signs that make me believe he has something within him other than grit and graft

Why are people still comparing Lambert with McLeish? The Ferguson link has greater credence. 

People need some patience IMO. It's a long term project.

Yet you didn't think that way last year.
And saw the error of his ways? People can change opinions. It is called growth. You should attempt it sometime.

What do I need to change my opinion on in order to grow? Please enlighten me.

And of course he can change his mind. Just a bit rich to tell people to have patience and look long term when he didn't last year.

This just seems like a petty personal dig to me. The comparison is pretty nonsensical really. First off, I did give him time and fully supported him even after we got thrashed 8-0 by Chelsea. It was only after a month of pure shit that I (and a few other fans) lost patience. We were playing terribly with no fight, were conceding tons of goals every game and could hardly score, not to mention got knocked out of two cups by lower league opposition. I was clearly wrong about Lambert but at that point in time there wasn't much to suggest that we were heading anywhere other than into the Championship under Lambert.

Thankfully I was completely wrong and I have admitted this many many times. Bear that last bit in mind and get the **** over it.

What do I need to change my opinion on in order to grow? Please enlighten me.

And of course he can change his mind. Just a bit rich to tell people to have patience and look long term when he didn't last year.

Not really, considering at one point last year we looked like dead certs for relegation whereas now we're grinding out decent results and look like we'll finish in solid mid-table. It's not like we're doing just as badly as last season and I'm asking people to have patience then. If I was then your comparison would be valid.

Quite frankly your pathetic personal attacks are rather boring now and have been for a very long time.

Edited by Mantis

Right now, Results like the one at St Mary's will allow criticise to fall on deaf ears....only when, we are losing consistently and playing boring football, will anyone listen, sad, but true.

Am I reading this right?

You're sad we are not losing consistently so that you criticisms of PL will be well-recievied??

I've heard it all now!!!!  also, the logic is so warped it doesn't even make sense

West Brom lost again at home, 2-0 to Norwich but don't worry everyone-Their fans are dancing from the rooftops because they play such fantastic football ;)

We're currently 10th. I can't see any team below us (that's half the league) playing better football than we do with the possible exception of Swansea & even then, I fancy us to finish above them over 38 games.

Some good points made by TRO & Mantis. We're moving in the right direction, lets cut the manager & players a bit of slack at this stage.

There has been big improvements both in team performances & individual performances from last season. Imaginge just for a minute if we could maintain this improvement over the next 2 or 3 seasons-We'd have some side on our hands if we could.

This just seems like a petty personal dig to me. The comparison is pretty nonsensical really. First off, I did give him time and fully supported him even after we got thrashed 8-0 by Chelsea. It was only after a month of pure shit that I (and a few other fans) lost patience. We were playing terribly with no fight, were conceding tons of goals every game and could hardly score, not to mention got knocked out of two cups by lower league opposition. I was clearly wrong about Lambert but at that point in time there wasn't much to suggest that we were heading anywhere other than into the Championship under Lambert.

Thankfully I was completely wrong and I have admitted this many many times. Bear that last bit in mind and get the **** over it.

How is it personal?

You weren't thinking long term last year so surely you can appreciate others might not be doing the same this year.

Like I said bit rich to tell fans to do something you didn't do last year.

West Brom lost again at home, 2-0 to Norwich but don't worry everyone-Their fans are dancing from the rooftops because they play such fantastic football ;)

We're currently 10th. I can't see any team below us (that's half the league) playing better football than we do with the possible exception of Swansea & even then, I fancy us to finish above them over 38 games.

Some good points made by TRO & Mantis. We're moving in the right direction, lets cut the manager & players a bit of slack at this stage.

There has been big improvements both in team performances & individual performances from last season. Imaginge just for a minute if we could maintain this improvement over the next 2 or 3 seasons-We'd have some side on our hands if we could.

Good post.

I just find it bizarre that Lambert seems to be getting far more criticsm now than he got this time last season. Is style of play (and I expect it's only temporary anyway) really that much more important than results?

How is it personal?

You weren't thinking long term last year so surely you can appreciate others might not be doing the same this year.

Like I said bit rich to tell fans to do something you didn't do last year.

Because it's a stupid comparison and you're always trying to create hypocrisy that simply isn't there.

As I just said, the circumstances are completely different.

I lost my patience with Lambert when we were on a horrendous run of form and looked certain for relegation. Currently we are far away from that so no isn't rich at all.

Edited by Mantis

Well let's just say if lerner started spending money better and I changed my opinion of him I wouldn't have the nerve to tell anyone who questioned him in the future that they were wrong to do so.

Anyone keep doing it if you want to.

Depends on what they were questioning him on.

Fact is, Lambert is being criticised for different reasons now than what I and others criticised him for back in January. It's not like we're doing poorly in the league, people are complaining about that and I'm telling them to be patient.

Statistics > Facts

Lambert out

More like statistics (in context) = facts.

5th best defense, 10th in the table, lowest average age in the squad of any team in the prem.

My attempted sarcasm has fell short of the mark......I want Lambert in, despite our bottom of the table possession stats. 

Statistics > Facts

Lambert out

More like statistics (in context) = facts.

5th best defense, 10th in the table, lowest average age in the squad of any team in the prem.

My attempted sarcasm has fell short of the mark......I want Lambert in, despite our bottom of the table possession stats. 

You still have the best avatar on the site.