Paul Lambert

Pilchard

So do you agree then that 'right now' we're one of the best away teams in Europe?

It'd be interesting to see the stats on that. Wouldn't be surprised if we're up there for the season at least, we're second only to Arsenal in the league as it is.

I'd be interested to see if there's a team in Europe who were battling relegation last year and are sitting in mid-table now that have as good an away record as we do.

Zatman was right.

Edited by Mantis

I'd be interested to see if there's a team in Europe who were battling relegation last year and are sitting in mid-table now that have as good an away record as we do.

Zatman was right.

Without looking at any stats or taking anything else into consideration . Of course he is.

Thinking about the possession thing is interesting, it's not really something I think about a huge amount tbh with Lambert. Maybe it's because we do have some limited players in our team so I don't expect more than what we're seeing which I think is good enough

I was much more critical of our possession deficiencies under Martin O'Neill tbh. Maybe because our expectations were higher back then, maybe because we had better midfield players in our team back then and also because when we played rivals around that time like Man. City and Spurs they would regularly dominate us in games home and away and we'd usually get a result from set pieces and crosses against them.

I dunno what do people think, even if the stats say otherwise do we really look much worse in possession than for large periods with O'Neill as manager?

Forget last night. What about our embarrassingly bad home form which hasn't be addressed at all? Our away/home contrast is so extreme and unprecedented from what I can remember through all the years of watching football.

See Butterfingers - there are more than two types of people.

Forget last night. What about our embarrassingly bad home form which hasn't be addressed at all? Our away/home contrast is so extreme and unprecedented from what I can remember through all the years of watching football.

Didn't think it mattered where the points came from?

Perhaps he thinks you get more points for a home win? :D

The kind of person who would prefer to forget about last night & start bleating about home form instead will never change-I'd place him in the same category as the other bloke so imo there is only 2 types of people.

• Like 2

There are actually 10 types: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Thinking about the possession thing is interesting, it's not really something I think about a huge amount tbh with Lambert. Maybe it's because we do have some limited players in our team so I don't expect more than what we're seeing which I think is good enough

I was much more critical of our possession deficiencies under Martin O'Neill tbh. Maybe because our expectations were higher back then, maybe because we had better midfield players in our team back then and also because when we played rivals around that time like Man. City and Spurs they would regularly dominate us in games home and away and we'd usually get a result from set pieces and crosses against them.

I dunno what do people think, even if the stats say otherwise do we really look much worse in possession than for large periods with O'Neill as manager?

TBH yes we do. O Neils team broke quickly down the wings. Last night we were just walloping the ball down the pitch...I am fine with it in the short term ..I do hope we aspire to something better. I reckon lambert might build a team similar to the one Brian Little built - wing backs, strong and pacey front men - it would be interesting to see how many of the current squad remain if/when Lambo builds his ultimate team...

then again, a statistic which hasn't been given nearly as much emphasis is that 50% of Southampton's possession came in their own half. Villa simply allowed the hosts to have as much of the ball as they wished in that harmless area. 

• Like 1

The ball was in the villa defensive half for 58% of the match. A very high number, but actually identical to the City game. The difference is villa didn't aware time passing around the back line then back to Guzan, they just got the ball into an area where gabby and kozak could go 2 vs 2 or 2 vs3.

I guess it just shows how much we've progressed that the discussion has shifted from results to style of play. I have to wonder though, if we start to play better and continue getting decent results, what will the focus be on then?

• Like 3

There's a big difference between getting 23% possession when you were aiming to get 50%, and getting 23% possession when deploying counter-attacking tactics.

If we were looking to pass it through the Southampton team from the back then I'd be concerned. As that was never part of the plan then the possession stat is effectively meaningless.