Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Not saying Lambert would lie about how much we spent on Bacuna, Kozak Benteke and the rest, but he's the man who stated we were "terriffic" and "excellent" against West Ham and Hull.

It may very well be that the figures Lambert is stating are correct, but just because he says something doesn't make it true.

He's obviously going to state a low figure to lessen the pressure on the players, just as he's not going to say we were pants in some games even thou we were.

That makes no sense whatsoever.

• Like 1

Not saying Lambert would lie about how much we spent on Bacuna, Kozak Benteke and the rest, but he's the man who stated we were "terriffic" and "excellent" against West Ham and Hull.

It may very well be that the figures Lambert is stating are correct, but just because he says something doesn't make it true.

He's obviously going to state a low figure to lessen the pressure on the players, just as he's not going to say we were pants in some games even thou we were.

Do explain

Are we even sure Lambert knows the exact sum we paid? Did he do the negotiations?

Edited by sne

You'd maybe say that if a player cost £15m and you wanted to say he cost £10m to reduce pressure - but there's **** all meaningful difference for the likes of Bacuna between £1m and £600k

Do explain

Are we even sure Lambert knows the exact sum we paid? Did he do the negotiations?

Is this a serious question?  :lol:

Do explain

Is this a serious question?  :lol:

Kinda..

You obviously know everything that happens behind the scenes in soccer so why don't you give us a step by step recapitulation on when we signed let's say Kozak.

Edited by sne

What?

Not sure why you're going on the aggressive with me when 1) I never claimed to know anything and 2) I'm not even getting involved in this silly argument. Just think you saying 'Are we even sure Lambert knows the exact sum we paid? Did he do the negotiations?' seems like an absolutely ridiculous question.

What?

Not sure why you're going on the aggressive with me when 1) I never claimed to know anything and 2) I'm not even getting involved in this silly argument. Just think you saying 'Are we even sure Lambert knows the exact sum we paid? Did he do the negotiations?' seems like an absolutely ridiculous question.

Relax, im not trying to start anything here, i just think it would be very interesting to know what happens behind the scenes and who does what at the club. One sometimes get the feeling that some people ( not saying you) with absolute certainty think that Lambert does every single thing at the club. From scouting, training, setting the budget, developing the clubs general philosophy to negotiating to washing the players kits.

Thought his comment's were interesting in his press conference, again he was asked about bacuna and him only costing a million quid. He said he was even cheaper than that and that he has seen recent assumptions of how much his players have cost in the press and thinks somebody must be getting a back hander to inflate them as they are way way off.

Looks like he really did only get around 10 - 12mill to spend, and with the amount of player's he brought in and a few of them already starting to look the part, he really has done some good scouting / shopping.

Benteke aside its a little too early to sing Lambert's praises for his signings as it is to criticise.

Thought his comment's were interesting in his press conference, again he was asked about bacuna and him only costing a million quid. He said he was even cheaper than that and that he has seen recent assumptions of how much his players have cost in the press and thinks somebody must be getting a back hander to inflate them as they are way way off.

Looks like he really did only get around 10 - 12mill to spend, and with the amount of player's he brought in and a few of them already starting to look the part, he really has done some good scouting / shopping.

Benteke aside its a little too early to sing Lambert's praises for his signings as it is to criticise.

In your opinion, and I did say some. The signs are far more for the good than bad though.

What?

Relax, im not trying to start anything here, i just think it would be very interesting to know what happens behind the scenes and who does what at the club. One sometimes get the feeling that some people ( not saying you) with absolute certainty think that Lambert does every single thing at the club. From scouting, training, setting the budget, developing the clubs general philosophy to negotiating to washing the players kits.

He doesn't set the budget and he doesn't wash the kit. The rest he is very much involved in, it's not even really up for debate. It's obvious. Just like it's obvious that Randy and the CEO are responsible for setting the budget and even more obvious that Lambert knows how much a player is when he spends that budget.

Edited by villan_007

Yeah, with verifiable facts, it does make it true. Do you really think Lambert would lie about how much players have cost and have anyone with knowledge of the correct figures (Randy, Faulkner, the player, agents, selling club, etc) think of him as a liar? He'd lose credibility overnight.

Credibility in football?Now that's a novel idea!

There are many reasons/factors why folk will creatively present figures to suit themselves.

Taking things on face value, PL seems adamant that the recent bargain buys have been inflated in their reporting.

It kinds suggests to me that perhaps he is doing an even better job than some of us first thought.

.....but then the cynic in me tells me, that, that is precisely what he wants us to think.

• Like 1

I've stated this several times. His total expenditure in the summer was £10m. I'm sure you will find Bacuna cost £600,000. If he could sign one player in January then it would be a no.10 as such. That would be his next target providing no-one picks up serious injuries in other positions. 

Interesting. Paul Faulkner has stated his (Lamberts) expenditure to date is £42M  - Someone on here checked last years accounts and come up with PL'S first seasons expenditure (Gross) of £21m  - Roughly speaking that means the players purchased were towards the higher end of the reported prices - I believe the figures quoted on soccer base tie in pretty closely with clubs accounts. Given the accounts are a legally binding document - I would err towards those. Paul Lambert can say what he likes in a press conference - however its unlikely the club would cook the books.

To my mind if you get a player who can consistently perform in the prem for under £4m - you have done well - on either calculation Lambo has done well. With a little over a year left on his contract - and no sign of a new one - its obvious why lambo wants to put himself in the shop window as an ace talent spotter.......

I guess some of these transfers have sell on clauses or bonus payments that the bean counters like Faulkner count whereas the manager might just think about the initial outlay. Either way I think we have done some very good business and a huge amount of value has been added to the squad in a way I can't remember us doing before.

• Like 1

I guess some of these transfers have sell on clauses or bonus payments that the bean counters like Faulkner count whereas the manager might just think about the initial outlay. Either way I think we have done some very good business and a huge amount of value has been added to the squad in a way I can't remember us doing before.

Yeah - I would kinda agree with that..............whether it will amount to much on the  pitch remains to be seen.....

Yeah - I would kinda agree with that..............whether it will amount to much on the  pitch remains to be seen.....

I'm 99% sure it will given another two or three transfer windows. I find it hard to believe that Lambert won't invest any profits wisely judging from the knowledge of European/lower league football he or his scouts seem to possess.

I guess if we are all honest with each other we're probably arguing over not a lot of money either way per player.

What's really concerning is that a net spend of 10 - 12mill is surely bare minimum for a premier league club? I'm fully behind Lambert, I understand the wage bill, the need to get rid of the remaining big contracts, but I'm getting to the stage where I need to see some intent. I'm not talking big money, but give him 8mill for one player, raise the wage bar a smidge. Just show me that this is going where I hope it is.

• Like 3

I'm 99% sure it will given another two or three transfer windows. I find it hard to believe that Lambert won't invest any profits wisely judging from the knowledge of European/lower league football he or his scouts seem to possess.

I really don't see Lambert here for that many more windows. Impressive as his ability to assemble a team on a shoestring is - I don't see him wanting to do it for the rest of his career. I actually think Lambo is a better manager than Martinez or Rodgers - but he will need a degree of funding to prove that - Funding that he won't get under the current regime.

• Like 2

I guess if we are all honest with each other we're probably arguing over not a lot of money either way per player.

What's really concerning is that a net spend of 10 - 12mill is surely bare minimum for a premier league club? I'm fully behind Lambert, I understand the wage bill, the need to get rid of the remaining big contracts, but I'm getting to the stage where I need to see some intent. I'm not talking big money, but give him 8mill for one player, raise the wage bar a smidge. Just show me that this is going where I hope it is.

Yep - I think 'get the wage bill down' is finally running out of steam. You need proper funding to be a premier league force. With an average gate of 36,000 this season - its not an unreasonable expectation 

• Like 2

To my mind if you get a player who can consistently perform in the prem for under £4m - you have done well - on either calculation Lambo has done well. With a little over a year left on his contract - and no sign of a new one - its obvious why lambo wants to put himself in the shop window as an ace talent spotter.......

How is this "obvious"? His contract doesn't expire until June 2015.

Yeah - I would kinda agree with that..............whether it will amount to much on the pitch remains to be seen.....

I really don't see Lambert here for that many more windows. Impressive as his ability to assemble a team on a shoestring is - I don't see him wanting to do it for the rest of his career. I actually think Lambo is a better manager than Martinez or Rodgers - but he will need a degree of funding to prove that - Funding that he won't get under the current regime.

2 or 3 windows is only one more season, where if we sell Benteke he could have another £30m budget to use. I actually think Lambert is thriving on the challenge at the club, changing one of the traditional big English clubs from a huge waster of money to one that fits his more continental approach. He has got rid of the money-grabbers, he has fixed the defence, he will be determined to fix the rest. I can't see him going to one of the top 4 as manager. There is always the chance he could end up in Germany given his history, but I think the most likely scenario is that he will keep building the club until we are back in Europe in a couple of years. Edited by sharkyvilla
  • Like 1