Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Well the doom & gloom brigade are conspicuous in their absence tonight.

This time last year, there were moans & groans about the defence "Lambert can't defend" etc, etc. Credit to the defence this season, they have stepped up to the challenge.

Top half of the table tonight boys- Who would have settled for that this time last year?

Dare we hope for any higher?

The development & progress is continuing. How many sides have beaten Cardiff this season by 2 clear goals? Not every game is going to be edge of seat stuff & sometimes, a result like this that is ground out is more satisfying than tippy, tappy 1/2 touch football-Welcome to the Premier League.

Just to add we had at least 5 1st choice players out, changed the formation & got 3 points.

Got it right today:

- 4-3-3 with Tonev mostly left, swapped to 4-4-2. So much better than 5-3-2

- Made the correct changes by subbing KEA (who was ineffective), pushing Bacuna forward.

- Clean sheet and a win at home.

We go again.

Was really poor performance up to the 76th min. Pos stats were poor again. In saying that cardiff were happy with the draw. I think that says something as last year nobody would have went for the draw against us.

as I think I've had cause to mention before, stupid comments like this appear to be specifically against the posting guidelines of this site. Why not have a look at them some time. More importantly, perhaps, they break the rule of trying not to say stupid things.

as I think I've had cause to mention before, stupid comments like this appear to be specifically against the posting guidelines of this site. Why not have a look at them some time. More importantly, perhaps, they break the rule of trying not to say stupid things.

Do you mean like picking petty faults such as goal celebrations against Man City because you've got nothing else to moan about? LOl

Couldn't resist could you?

Don't smile mate-Your face might crack

Well i refuse to get carried away with talk of 7th or 8th as so many people seem to after a win 

There's going to be a couple of wins max between 15th and 8th, so it's really up for grabs. Sure even last season we could well have finished in 9th despite being 2nd last for a good chunk of the season

One step at a time, weve just gone 7+ hours without scoring and got a late win vs cardiff at home and theres talk of 8th straight afterwards.. See where are after this run of games and we'll have an idea.

Replace 8th with 15th if it keeps you happy. For all intents and purposes in this league there're almost the same

Lambert's substitutions are usually the stuff of nightmares but the Lowton one today actually paid off for a change. The defence is looking better as well. Let's not get too excited though because before Bacuna scored his brilliant free kick we looked as useless as ever.

Still it's great to actually look forward to watching MoTD without hiding behind the sofa for a change. Well done Lambert for that!

Do you mean like picking petty faults such as goal celebrations against Man City because you've got nothing else to moan about? LOl

Couldn't resist could you?

Don't smile mate-Your face might crack

No idea what you're on about mate, but what I am talking about is your persistent use of phrases like 

the doom & gloom brigade

a practice which is the subject of this post from the moderators

http://www.villatalk.com/index.php/topic/6004-labelling-of-groups-of-fans-with-opposing-povs/

Let me quote you the key bit:

What we won't have here though is the grouping together of fans, using often puerile and demeaning names for those fans deemed to be in the "opposing camp".

This has been a growing trend on VT of late and we as the moderating team are having no more of it, it is against the site guidelines and ethos but not only that, if you can't respect each others opinions as Villa fans, then you have no place being on this forum. 

Rather than labelling people who don't share your views as a "brigade", why not try to understand what their concerns might be and address those?
  • Like 1

Interesting that Lambert mentioned the crowd becoming a little edgy.

Yes I picked up on that. Certainly not on AVB's level, but a slight criticism of the crowd from him today none the less, he commented that it's alright playing at home, but you need the crowd right with you, hinting that we werent.

Well Paul after 5 defeats out of 6 at home to Prem opposition and looking for long periods like we would not beat newly promoted Cardiff I think its understandable the crowd was subdued after being lively at the beginning of both halves.

Interesting that Lambert mentioned the crowd becoming a little edgy.

Yes I picked up on that. Certainly not on AVB's level, but a slight criticism of the crowd from him today none the less, he commented that it's alright playing at home, but you need the crowd right with you, hinting that we werent.

Well Paul after 5 defeats out of 6 at home to Prem opposition and looking for long periods like we would not beat newly promoted Cardiff I think its understandable the crowd was subdued after being lively at the beginning of both halves.

Apparently there was booing at half time - that really isn't acceptable only half-way through a game when you're going in at 0-0. If that's what Lambert is getting at then I think he has every right to bring it up.

Edited by Mantis

Under the circumstances booing does not surprise me, it was inevitable. Cant keep churning dire home performanced every single game and expect the fans to be delighted. Theres not a team in the league that will let cardiff have 57% possession on their own patch.

7 or so hours without a goal i think the feeling just spilled over a bit, surprised at lambert saying anything actually considering the very vocal backing he's had since hes been here even through the embarrassments of bradford, chelsea, wigan etc etc and various other home trouncings.

Under the circumstances booing does not surprise me, it was inevitable. Cant keep churning dire home performanced every single game and expect the fans to be delighted. Theres not a team in the league that will let cardiff have 57% possession on their own patch.

7 or so hours without a goal i think the feeling just spilled over a bit, surprised at lambert saying anything actually considering the very vocal backing he's had since hes been here even through the embarrassments of bradford, chelsea, wigan etc etc and various other home trouncings.

I could understand if it was full time but it was half time. That's what I find pathetic. As it happens we won though so perhaps people will be a bit more patient in future and at least wait until the final whistle.

It's really starting to irritate me how we as fans are being criticised for exercising our God given right to voice our opinion when it's our money helping to keep the club afloat and it irritates me even further when that criticism is continually proven by substantiated stats yet we are patronized into excepting patience when continually watching drivel on the pitch while not having won a trophy for how many years.

The fans had as much of a right yesterday to show their displeasure at probably the worst first half performance this season as they had to celebrate our goals.

• Like 1

It's really starting to irritate me how we as fans are being criticised for exercising our God given right to voice our opinion when it's our money helping to keep the club afloat and it irritates me even further when that criticism is continually proven by substantiated stats yet we are patronized into excepting patience when continually watching drivel on the pitch while not having won a trophy for how many years.

The fans had as much of a right yesterday to show their displeasure at probably the worst first half performance this season as they had to celebrate our goals.

Whilst we are all fed up at our lack of success, I fail to see how this frustration should be directed at Lambert and the curent crop of players? the past regimes have nothing to do with the here and now. The past is finished. Patience is needed as we are now 50 odd games into a new chapter.

How can we move forward as a club if the fans can't let go of the previous mistakes?? it has to stop. I personally am sick of it. MON, Houiller, Him, all the money wasted, it's over. Let's move on and get behind this team.

I agree that we should be able to voice our opinnions of current issues, but I disagreed with the booing yesterday. We actually started very brightly, Kozak header in the first few minutes, Tekkers almost getting to the spilt save, but yes we did drop off and become flat. The waiting so long for a goal definitley contributed to the booing, but when does it stop?? good performances help I agree, but we've now won and kept a clean sheet, in the next game if we go a goal down, that groan which I'm sick of will start again echoing around the stadium.

Whilst I agree that good performances would stop the moaning, I can't help but feel that these groans are still full of 3yrs of hurt. It's time to let go.

Edited by villan_007
  • Like 3

No wonder our home form is so terrible.

I fail to see the logic in this, the fans have been right behind the team since lambert came so how they can they be to blame for the home form? I would love to know which team in this league would go nearly 8 hours without scoring and turn in a poor first half against newly promoted team who dominated possession on their own patch and not have some murmurs of discontent.

• Like 1