Paul Lambert

Pilchard

I still think with the exception of Benteke we are still weak through the spine of our team and it will show. Hope the young uns prove me wrong though and we smash Arsenal.

I think Okore will add to our spine and I really do think our midfield trio of Sylla, Delph and Westwood will continue to grow.

I can't **** wait for Saturday.

I really do think we're going to surprise a few people this year and I think we'll surprise a few during our first 3 games.

We have a formation that works.

We have a front 3 to match any outside of the title contenders.

We've added to the squad in areas that we needed and we signed players early.

We're ready.

Another thing that i've been impressed with during the pre-season is that the players do look incredibly fit. The high pressure and constant hassling of defenders has been great, and could be very effective against Arsenal who will try and pass their way out of everything. 

True but surely it should be a bare minimum that footballers who get paid millions should be fit?  That was the problem under O'Neill. Every time when got in March, they all looked knackered. I mean what did Martin do on a average day at Villa? He didn't do much of the training.  He wasn't really interested in the youth team. And he certainly didnt do much scouting either. Now he has all day to do nothing.

I really do think we're going to surprise a few people this year and I think we'll surprise a few during our first 3 games.

We're ready.

Another thing that i've been impressed with during the pre-season is that the players do look incredibly fit. The high pressure and constant hassling of defenders has been great, and could be very effective against Arsenal who will try and pass their way out of everything. 

True but surely it should be a bare minimum that footballers who get paid millions should be fit?  That was the problem under O'Neill. Every time when got in March, they all looked knackered. I mean what did Martin do on a average day at Villa? He didn't do much of the training.  He wasn't really interested in the youth team. And he certainly didnt do much scouting either. Now he has all day to do nothing.

I was reading an article about football fitness ( I will try and find it) which was saying that modern managers tend to go into a long season with their teams not up to full fitness, aiming for peak fitness somewhere around Jan/Feb. The argument was that if you got players to peak in August they would burn out by March/April and struggle to finish the season in top form. 

Edited by LondonLax

i hope to god we sign him to a longer deal at some point this season, i dont want to be going next summer knowing he only has a year left if he has a successful season he will appeal to other clubs and with one year left wont cost them much. with lambos loyalty previously wont bode well either!

We're ready.

I'm loving you this season John! :D

New season, new Big John!!!

Haven't been this excited since Mon's first season.

Things just look like they will click into place this year.

Feel the same, great isn't it?

I still think with the exception of Benteke we are still weak through the spine of our team and it will show. Hope the young uns prove me wrong though and we smash Arsenal.

I think Okore will add to our spine and I really do think our midfield trio of Sylla, Delph and Westwood will continue to grow.

I'm not so sure Okore is much different to Vlaar in that he isn't exactly dominant in the air so it will be interesting to see if that weakness still prevails throughout the season?

I like Sylla a great deal and hopefully those players will get better this season but i don't see too many goals coming from that trio and the combination to me is still a little light weight defensively.

I just don't see the balance being right yet through the spine of our team but we'll see.

also think Vlaar and KEA will add more than last season now they should be up to speed

KEA?  :crylaugh:

Why can't he improve on last season?

Has KEA not already shown you why.

Delph did too, didn't give up on him.

• Like 1

I'm not so sure Okore is much different to Vlaar in that he isn't exactly dominant in the air so it will be interesting to see if that weakness still prevails throughout the season?

I like Sylla a great deal and hopefully those players will get better this season but i don't see too many goals coming from that trio and the combination to me is still a little light weight defensively.

I just don't see the balance being right yet through the spine of our team but we'll see.

I don't see us finishing top 4 but I can see us having a good season and being much better than last year.

Okore may not be a power house in the air but I have no doubt him and Luna will improve our defence.

Our formation, midfield trio and attacking trio will also make sure we don't have the kind of run we went on last year.

• Like 1

Our formation, midfield trio and attacking trio will also make sure we don't have the kind of run we went on last year.

Agreed, but I think we'll still get a couple of batterings (4 or 5 nils)

Agreed, but I think we'll still get a couple of batterings (4 or 5 nils)

It's probable. There will be a few going the other way too though no doubt (though replace the nil with a one!).

also think Vlaar and KEA will add more than last season now they should be up to speed

Good for you but we're talking about KEA and not Delph who still has a lot to prove.

I don't see us finishing top 4 but I can see us having a good season and being much better than last year.

Okore may not be a power house in the air but I have no doubt him and Luna will improve our defence.

No what i'm getting at is the obvious weakness teams have targeted through set pieces last season and i've no doubt that opposing teams will test that weakness again. I'd much prefer to have one CB whose strong in the air while the other is better on the ground. More of a balance if you like. 

Its actually the same in our midfield which to me lacks the same ingredient (balance) but i guess we're going to find out pretty soon where we actually are against Arsenal? 

• Like 1

Good for you but we're talking about KEA and not Delph who still has a lot to prove.

Almost the same situation and to say players cannot improve is ridiculous.