If we stay up...

P3te

Okay, so there's plenty of talk in the relegation thread about what'll happen if we go down, but how do people think we'll fare if we stay up?

For what it's worth, I think if we stay up we'll actually start to see an about turn in our fortunes relatively quickly. We won't he pushing the top 6 for a while, but looking at the players who make up the core of the team now, we're not a million miles away from being competitive come next season. We'd still need 4-5 new signings, at least 3 of whom are in the 27-30 age bracket, but there's plenty of raw (arguably very, very raw) talent to work with.

Keeping Lambert is absolutely essential whether we stay up or go down IMO. The last thing we need is another change in manager. That would mean O'Neill, Houllier, McLeish, Lambert and A.N. Other since the start of 2010 - more if you add in the stints that MacDonald and McAllister had as interim managers, however brief. The club can't afford another new man, with more backroom staff and different tactical, transfer and player handling methods. Ultimately that's been the most damaging thing for us in all of this. Our squad in the last couple of seasons has been a Frankenstein's monster of multiple manager's signings, tactics and approach. More than ever we need consistency.

Would people want to see another change in management if we stay up?

NO RELEGATION TALK PLEASE. IGNORE THE FEW POSTS THAT MENTIONED IT AND TAKE THE THREAD ON THE ASSUMPTION OF US STAYING UP

Edited by P3te
  • Like 1

If we stay up we need to keep him and hope lambert will be backed better than he has this year.

From what I've seen this season I'm not sure lambert will build anything great at this club though.

If we go down he should be sacked as soon as the season is over.

Agree on the need to keep PL, as consistency is the big issue at the club.

I would love to think that next season would be the brave new dawn, but I thought that this season was meant to be the new dawn too. Yes, we lose another couple of high earners, and perhaps we can shift some of the clutter both in the high earners (Ireland, Hutton, Given, Bent, etc) that are left, and some of the ex-academy players (Bannan, Delfouneso, Albrighton, etc) but that leaves us needing to bring in another shed load of players, presumably from the lower leagues or overseas, and another rollercoaster.

I am desparate for us to stay up and show real progress under the new business model, but fear we could stay like Wigan for another few seasons, rather than make progress.

If we go down he should be sacked as soon as the season is over.

would you not give him 4 months next season to see how he fares in the Championship? If it looked like he was going to get us back up first time of asking then keeping him would be the best bet, as it keeps consistency. I wouldn't be sacking him right off the bat if we go down tbh. The championship season is a long one, and you can be midtable and bring in a new manager in January and still get promoted

I would love to think that next season would be the brave new dawn, but I thought that this season was meant to be the new dawn too.

The first season under a new manager is never going to be anything other than a transition period for a club in our position, unless you get really lucky. If we brought in a new guy next season, it'd be more transition.

Though as I suggested above, I'd have little problem getting rid of Lambert if we went down and were 10th come Christmas. For my money, and I know a lot of people will hate this suggestion, I'd get Neil Warnock in. He's one of those proven Championship managers who WILL get you promoted. That's his forte. Then you sack him when he's done to save you having to sack him when you're bottom of the Premiership in December the following season

18-24 months to sort out the mess he took over

Only Baker, Weimann, Gardner and Clark will be here of the players inheirited by PL (maybe Gabby)

....but ultimately for what end?

I think Lambert will get us challenging for Europa League again (whoopee-do) and the odd cup run but mostly we'll join 17 other teams to be cannon fodder for MC, Chelsea and MU

Footballs broken

• Like 1

I agree with Denis_B.

The thread was opened to discuss 'if we stay up' but rapidly turned into another thread talking about getting relegated. If posters stuck to the theme of the thread then Denis_B would not need to have posted.

Simple logic.

We won't stay up, and sadly Lambert should go. A couple of good signings but is showing naivety as a premiership manager. The clubs response to our current situation is gob smacking and I cannot understand why there aren't fans at the VP gates baying for blood, perhaps we are all shell shocked or maybe just utterly worn out?

Lerner needs to bite the bullet and appoint a new manager, CEO and reconsider the whole ownership strategy because its an unmitigated disaster, to be honest I believe we are better off without him, and I never thought I would say that.

If we stay up I'd like to see him backed with at least another 20-30 in the summer and then 6 months or so to see how the team has progressed. If its the same old shit come 2014 then he has to go.

You want to spend 1/3 of our total annual turnover on transfer fees in one transfer window?

IF we stayed up I am not feeling positive about next year...

The reason being is we will be getting rid of what 5 players or so? Dunne, Warnock, Hutton, Given?, Bent? CNZ? Ireland? Bannan (Hopefully)?

With that being so and the first three are going to fetch nothing (Even though none of them have played this year) we are going to be replacing them with more kids more than likely.

That is fine to a certain degree but it's likely to be more of the same this year with the FOLLOWING year to be when we dont have to spread the cash around as much and can buy more quality players for Benteke type money.

Do have to stay up first though 20 ish points needed and the games are running out

If we stay up I am positive that we will go on to better things. Why I think this? It's simple really we'll have the enhanced TV money to invest into the club in a way that may just free up funds to truly have a go at Top 6 again. I feel that we have a squad that is close to completion.. We need a DCM, LB and CB and we are set. The rest of the squad will get better the more they play which will make us even stronger. Next season if we stay up I predict a top 10 finish, season after Top 8 and the season after that Top 6 or higher. That to me is a realistic road map provided we stay up as the TV money will help us in a big way.

Â