If we stay up...

P3te

If we stay up I am positive that we will go on to better things. Why I think this? It's simple really we'll have the enhanced TV money to invest into the club in a way that may just free up funds to truly have a go at Top 6 again. I feel that we have a squad that is close to completion.. We need a DCM, LB and CB and we are set. The rest of the squad will get better the more they play which will make us even stronger. Next season if we stay up I predict a top 10 finish, season after Top 8 and the season after that Top 6 or higher. That to me is a realistic road map provided we stay up as the TV money will help us in a big way.

Im not going to argue on your prediction of future places that could well happen but to think the tv money isnt going to go straight on wage rises for players across the board at every club is naive in my opinon

If we stay up I think we can only get better as players like Lowton, Westwood, Weimann etc will have the experience of a full Premier League season behind them(which is one of main things squad is currently lacking) and I would trust Lambert to find another couple of gems

I can't see any substantial improvement without major investment. I don't think there will be any major investment any time soon so I suspect we will be bobbing about in midtable/bottom half for a number of seasons yet. Presuming we don't go down obviously.

Applying logic to the way the club is being run at the moment then I agree with the opening post, it is going to be a slow start to the rebuild before a pretty steep upward curve. This is assuming that Randy isn't just saving money for the sake of saving money but is simply trying to correct the mistakes of the past. He's got a young manager in who to my mind has the intention of playing good football with young, hungry players on much lower wages, although it is an incredibly tough juggling act at the moment. This is achievable as the likes of Benteke, Lowton, Vlaar and Westwood illustrate. They are Lambert's big successes for me and once we stop losing the £200k a week on Dunne, Warnock, Hutton, Ireland etc and reinvest it in players like the four I listed (probably with lots of spare cash left over as well) then the team will improve with a decent pre-season. We need to sign players with sell-on value or if we do need the odd short-term addition to fill a hole they need to be cheap and above all reliable. That's the only way of the club getting back to where it should be.

If we stay up it will just be by a whisker. And then what next year? More of the same? Even fewer season tickets sold? The structure of the management of this club is all wrong and that is down to the owners. Do they have the imagination to really re-invent the club?

OUr prospects I fear are bleak!

If we were to stay up then I don't see a great deal changing (hopefully we won't struggle as we have done).

If clubs have a policy of going after players with 'resale' value (the value being dependent upon whether they are successful or at least relatively so), some surely need to be resold? Then you're back to trying to fill that gap or hoping that a player may come through to fill it. This only ceases to be much of a problem or drag on the fortunes of the side if you're on the front foot with several people already pushing to take that spot and I don't see us getting in to that situation.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

If we stay up I am positive that we will go on to better things. Why I think this? It's simple really we'll have the enhanced TV money to invest into the club in a way that may just free up funds to truly have a go at Top 6 again. I feel that we have a squad that is close to completion.. We need a DCM, LB and CB and we are set. The rest of the squad will get better the more they play which will make us even stronger. Next season if we stay up I predict a top 10 finish, season after Top 8 and the season after that Top 6 or higher. That to me is a realistic road map provided we stay up as the TV money will help us in a big way.

Dont mean to sound dippy, but are we the only ones who will get the TV money? Surely the TV money will help every other team in a big way, and obviously with most of them finshing higher in the league they will have more of this TV money than us to help them in a big way.

Looking forward to Gardner and Carruthers coming through.

Would love if the academy delivered a really top class player.

Think this and last season has proven that these academy players just aren't all that...

They make OK squad players but the management of the football club seem to think they can get away with putting them all in the first team to cover up lack of investment.

I'm actually confident that if we stay up the future will be bright. This season was always going to be a struggle (admittedly it's a bit more of a struggle than most of us imagined) but the ultimate goal was and still is to stay in the division. We've seen how fragile and inexperienced this young team looks having been thrown in the deep end but on the flip side of that this year will be invaluable to their progression and they'll be better players because of it. Throw in the extra Sky money and a few high earners leaving in the summer and I think we won't have the same worries next year. If the worst was to happen I think Lambert has to have until Christmas to see if he can bring us back up, I'd hate to have the same uncertainty hanging over the club again while we look for a new manager

If we stay up Lambert should keep his job as he will have performed a miracle keeping us in the division with this team

He will need major backing in the summer for quality players not lower league youngsters we need proven quality to cement a mid table spot in the premier league

I think were about 5 - 7 signings short of this goal

We need to get rid of some of the rubbish and deadwood in the summer like Warnock Bannan Hutton Albrighton Given Ireland

The above players are not good enough for the premier league or are on Rediculous wages and do not justify what we are paying them

Edited by AshVilla

Dont mean to sound dippy, but are we the only ones who will get the TV money? Surely the TV money will help every other team in a big way, and obviously with most of them finshing higher in the league they will have more of this TV money than us to help them in a big way.

No you're right. I don't see why the tv money will help us and no one else.

What's important though is that we stay up this season so we don't miss out.

If we stay up Lambert will have performed a miracle and we should name a stand after him. If we go down it will be an unmitigated failure and we should sack him.

At least that's what some posters would have you believe.

I'll let you know what I think in May.

If we stay up Lambert will have performed a miracle and we should name a stand after him. If we go down it will be an unmitigated failure and we should sack him.

At least that's what some posters would have you believe.

I'll let you know what I think in May.

Not for the first time I'm one of the strange posters on here going against both sides. As I'd keep him regardless !

As I'd keep him regardless !

likewise, just don't think its worth "starting again" - who we going to get better than Lambert if we drop? No one. Who are we going to get not better than lambert, few options there but not anyone I'd want over PL, also I can't face another season of "a new dawn" or welcoming in a new era of "Di Matteo's Donkeys", "Adkins a holes" or "Curbishly's words removed"

Edited by honest_bertie

If we were to stay up then I don't see a great deal changing (hopefully we won't struggle as we have done).

If clubs have a policy of going after players with 'resale' value (the value being dependent upon whether they are successful or at least relatively so), some surely need to be resold? Then you're back to trying to fill that gap or hoping that a player may come through to fill it. This only ceases to be much of a problem or drag on the fortunes of the side if you're on the front foot with several people already pushing to take that spot and I don't see us getting in to that situation.

Risky ploy though. Law of diminishing returns and all that. I know it's early days yet but Benteke looks like the only acquisition likely to provide a profit. Considering the drop in the market of late and the fact that we paid a decent price in the first place, I'd be surprised if that profit outstripped the value of the others purchased under Lambert who don't appear to be prime candidates for massively upping heir value. Of course wages paid comes into play too and I know we would rather have players on 30k than 60k.

I think I fear that Randy is taking too principled a stand, using financial FairPlay rules and deciding that the moral high ground is more important than success.

Â