what started the rot?

CLARETANDBLUEFOXY

2009/2010...one of our best, if not best, seasons in recent years. great players. great league position. fantastic cup runs.all round feel good factor.

2012/2013...well, i don't really need to go into it.

but what started it? aside from MON walking out. was it not being able to hold on to our top stars? was it the fact we failed to replace them. or was it the fact that we just got an manager (houllier) that didn't seem to know what to do with the club?

we all have our different opinions. i certainly have mine...i was just wondering what the general opinion was on how such a classy and successful club has turned into this.

p.s sorry if this has been done to death already...did have a look around for it but couldnt find it.

Edited by CLARETANDBLUEFOXY

The rot started when Man City got taken over by the arabs, that effectively wrecked the supposed 5 year plan and made qualification in the champions league that bit harder. This left the club with a wage to turnover ratio that wa snot sustainable as they had speculated to accumulate and needed the Champions League qualification to sustain things.

The rot started when Man City got taken over by the arabs, that effectively wrecked the supposed 5 year plan and made qualification in the champions league that bit harder. This left the club with a wage to turnover ratio that wa snot sustainable as they had speculated to accumulate and needed the Champions League qualification to sustain things.

i completely agree that man city have totally thrown a curveball into modern football. it's a shame it's turned out that way because the season before city really started causing problems was probably one of the most exciting and open we've had in ages. you had the likes of villa and everton troubling arsenal for 4th...spurs wernt such a big spanner in the works either...

The rot started when Man City got taken over by the arabs, that effectively wrecked the supposed 5 year plan and made qualification in the champions league that bit harder.

thats what i think too, moved the goalposts straight away, both in terms of competition and in terms of average wages in the prem, 2/3 years later we have players turning down £60k a week, lerners lost interest and to be completely honest i dont blame him

Bringing houllier in with the remit to promote youth and buy foreign quality for a fraction of British talent and then dismissing him after 6 months hurt us imo, had he signed the players he had lined up (cabaye, ba, kallstrom) we wouldn't be in this mess, followed up with the appointment of a manager that couldn't organise a prayer in a mosque with no plan and the subsequent appointment of a manager that seems out of his depth.

• Like 1

Bringing houllier in with the remit to promote youth and buy foreign quality for a fraction of British talent and then dismissing him after 6 months hurt us imo, had he signed the players he had lined up (cabaye, ba, kallstrom) we wouldn't be in this mess, followed up with the appointment of a manager that couldn't organise a prayer in a mosque with no plan and the subsequent appointment of a manager that seems out of his depth.

i didn't like houllier at the time...wish he'd have stayed a bit longer now if his health had been better. curious to see what would have happened.

A culture of short-termism that goes back as long as I can remember. The managerial casualty list over the past 25 years is shameful and has meant we have never been able to build anything significant. The root cause goes right to the top but we as fans have to take a large amount of the blame for that too. D'OL was right about us.

• Like 2

Look at Everton and Spurs as an example. That is what we have failed to replicate.

Care to elaborate?

These clubs have had radically different approaches to investment, manager/player turnover, youth policy, and almost every other aspect of running a football club I can think of over the past 10-15 years.

So what should we have replicated?

Â