what started the rot?

CLARETANDBLUEFOXY

Look at Everton and Spurs as an example. That is what we have failed to replicate.

And that is what Houllier was looking to replicate. I would have loved to have seen what might have happened had his health held out.

The McLeish appointment was a big turning point in Lerner's relationship with the fans, because that was the point most really questioned if heknew what he was doing.

Nothing to do with city. It started when Lerner pulled the plug on backing mon anymore.

Only because wages went above 100% of turnover the same year we recorded a loss of £34m. The bubble burst. It was an unsustainable transfer policy that the club have slowly began to rectify.

Edited by The_Steve

Nothing to do with city. It started when Lerner pulled the plug on backing mon anymore.

He pulled the plug on MON because of CIty and how they changed the game, that meant the dream of Champions League football was over, and we were left with CHampions League wages without the revenue to sustain them.

MON walking out was the action of a petulant child IMO, had he manned up and been more realistic we'd probably be in a better situation than we are, instead MON walked at the worst possible time, and we imploded.

Only because wages went above 100% of turnover

What season was this? I know that in 2009/10 Mon's final season our wage bill was just under 80 mill and turnover was 90 mill so 88% of turnover. I know under Houllier the wage bill increased to something like 83 mill but I don't think that it exceeded turnover.

Edited by markavfc40

What season was this? I know that in 2009/10 Mon's final season our wage bill was just under 80 mill and turnover was 90 mill so 88% of turnover. I know under Houllier the wage bill increased to something like 83 mill but I don't think that it exceeded turnover.

2010/2011 so it would be an accumulation of MON and Houllier.

The wages never exceeded turnover.

Actually i think turnover briefly increased at a greater rate than wages due to the two wembley appearances.

It was failing to make the champs league ..we gambled on getting thier and been sliding down table since.

You could also point to the 7-1 loss to chelsea as the point we relized the team was miles away from the top 4.

For me? when we won the League & Ron Saunders left. We failed to strengthen a very small squad & only signed Andy Blair if i remember correctly?

Then A Mr Ellis took charge from the Bendalls & down hill we went... Tony Barton did well to win us the European Cup but then it was 25 years of depressing under achievement. I can only remember a couple of random years when we got a decentish side & finished 2nd .. once under Ron Atkinson & once under Graham Taylor.. But we were always a couple of top players short due to Ellis lacking that ambition... I swear to this day he did it deliberatley so as to not lift expectations too high meaning he would have pressure to then keep us there.

As for under Lerner?

When Lerner suddenly moved the goalposts on MON & he & Krulak quit.. that was the start & the firesale has been going on ever since.

Vidic not getting sent off in the 2010 league cup final because he plays for Manchester United. If he had walked and we had won the cup, who knows?

• Like 1

I think Randy lost a lot of his enjoyment for Villa as he wasting a lot of his cash on crap like Heskey, Beye, Sidwell etc and think he hasnt got it back since.

though for me the rot started at Villa when Martin Laursen retired, I think we were actually 2nd/3rd when he got injured then a few months later Barry left. Had of kept them 2 history might have been different

• Like 1

season 201/2011 was the turning point.

first MON left, who was a good coach and motivator. By the end of the season with Milner already gone, we lost both Young and Downing who were our star players, but without a coach with a long term vision who could replace them.

when Barry left we were able to cope cause we had a coach that was here for the long haul and it didn't damage us that much, we still had good results after. after the departure of MON, there was a quick succession of players leaving. Carew, Bouma, Davies, Sidwell, L Young, Cuellar, Collins,... were by no means superstars, but when you let your stars go (Milner, Young, Downing) as well as your squad players, there is no continuity. I think a lot of those squad players could have had an added value today with their experience, they could take the pressure off of todays youngsters because people would be looking at the likes of cuellar and sidwell and not to players like Bannan or Clark to lead the team. That doesn't mean we would still be playing for europeans spots, but I'd say we would be better off than we are now.

Some of these guys were let go for peanuts. I read a lot of comments they weren't worth their paycheck, but I'm not buying that. Sidwell or L.Young didn't have that kind of wages. Sure they were more expensive than our current youngsters, but I doubt there are many companies were people with experience get paid less than some starter. if a multinational company get's rid of all their high earners, the company would be in chaos as well, because you would be relying on people who aren't ready yet (though they could be in a few years)

I get the whole 'cutting back on wages' issue, but when you are a selling club like we, and most of the clubs in the world, are, this should be done more natural. Young and Downing where probably our highest earners at the time, their replacement N'Zogbia seems unlikely to get the same wages straight away. things like that go through improved contract after good performances. Some players were overpaid, obviously, but it seems that we now have the idea that everyone in the last five years was overpaid. This is the English Premier League, not the scottish or even french or dutch. if you want to be in the PL you have to pay like a PL club, not like a Championship team, which we are currently doing apparently.

Let's take a look at the transfer policy regarding our key players, taking our team from 2009/2010.

Friedel has been decently replaced by Given last season and Guzan this season, no problem here.

Warnock, he had a bad season and is now treated like the scum of the earth by some. still everyone bought to replace him comes up short (stevens, Bennett)

Dunne, no repacement. granted he is still a villa player and Lambert couldn't foresee him being injured this long. Still he is getting the same comments as Warnock ('deadwood')

Collins: everyone's happy he left, but his replacement Vlaar has not shown to be the big man just yet. yet all our hope is set on him to get our defence in line.

L.Young: Walker was good when he came, but was only temporary, Hutton failed and lowton is doing as well as he can, but is still learning. break even at best on RB

Milner was replaced by Ireland. despite all the negative comments on here, he was our player of the year last season. So the guy has got it in him to be a good player for us.

When Young and Downing left, the only replacement was Zog, so 2 flanks had to be covered by 1? there was probably more expected from albrighton, but I don't think you can put the blame on him, we should have had a second replacement.

Petrov, our captain, has been replaced by? I guess westwood

Carew has not been missed so much. Bent has proven himself with his goals, yet still he is not the popular kid on this board. Benteke has had a few good matches but is not yet the big superstar.

Gabby is the only one who is still here.

the bench: Cuellar, sidwell, Heskey,...

you can always hope that our youngster step up, but when they clearly aren't ready, buying a few good players couldn't hurt. for that, you need a long term vision, which is hard to develop when you change manager and style every season.

Â