what started the rot?

CLARETANDBLUEFOXY

Hard to say what started the rot, but the turningpoint for me was the lack of ambition/judgement showed in the January 2009 transfer window and the walkover against CSKA in Moscow.

Some fans may not rate the UEFA Cup/Europa League, but the players wan't to play in Europe and win titles.

Once Barry left in the summer there was no coming back for us, I remember describing pretty much the exact scenario now happening on the TEAM-Talk forum in March 2009 and as you can expect i was ridiculed as a fickle doom-monger.

I think Houllier could have saved us if he was given the chance to bring in "his" players, he would have made a great Director of Football. Alas that didn't happen and Lerner in his wisdom brought in Alex McLeish...

Lerner.

We have the only club in the world who for the last 2 seasons have weakened our team every year while other clubs are strengthening theirs.

MON spent a lot of $$$ but we had good cup runs and qualifyed for europe three seasons in a row.

Since then we have sold players and cut the wage bill, we have been a bottom of the table team for 2 seasons.

You get what you pay for ?

For me it was the second we agreed to sell James Milner who had another 2 years left on his contract. That started the snowball effect of important departures. We didnt have to sell but Lerner clearly gave up at that point imo. We had the cream of the young English crop. Think we had 6 or 7 at one point that made an England squad. Now we are scraping the bottom of the barrell and are left with the shit. We gave it a good go but came up short and are now paying a hefty price

Couldn't really care anymore what started it. I am more concerned with what will end it

You are spot on. I think as a club we have spent far too long focusing on the past and where it all went wrong and I'm as guilty of it as the next fan.

It started the day O'Neill left. We had Krulak on these forums insinuating this that and the other and laying the blame at O'Neills door.

In the end where as this focusing on the past crap got us. Looking at the league table tells us all we need to know.

The club employed Lambert. Seemingly really confident he was the man to take us forward. However due to what happened in the past they have in my opinion been scared to back him too heavily. If they really believe in the guy then back him for **** sake and trust that he won't make the same mistakes previous managers made.

Edited by markavfc40

It started with Lerner spending with no thought about the future. Getting champions league football would not have solved all our issues. It's ridiculous to think it.

You can't blame man city because spurs and Everton certainly didn't throw the towel in.

The 2nd massive mistake was how quickly Lerner then insisted on cutting down. MoN walked/pushed and the team started to fall apart.

Hiring two shit managers while still cutting back spending just added to how quick our downward spiral was going and then following it up with yet another summer of wage cuts.

Lerner started the mess, Lerner made the mess worse and Lerner continues to make more and more of a mess at this club.

Edited by Big_John_10

Lerner started the mess, Lerner made the mess worse and Lerner continues to make more and more of a mess at this club.

I agree with that. BUT he is still here and will be for at least the rest of this season. So what needs to happen is that he does something to end the rot

Like with signing bent it would just be a short term fix to a mess of he's making. Yes it needs to happen but it would keep us going till we find ourselves again struggling when the next Randy Lerner **** up happens.

Which is why, in my opinion at least, we have to stick with Lambert as , in my opinion, he is trying to build something which safeguards against those Lerner **** ups and is not a short term fix, in my opinion!

Â