Fifa World team of the year

Shillzz

FOOTBALL

The Fifa world team of the year was also announced, with the entire side made up of Spain-based players: Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), Dani Alves(Barcelona), Gerard Pique (Barcelona), Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid),Marcelo (Real Madrid), Andres Iniesta (Barcelona), Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid), Xavi (Barcelona), Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid), Radamel Falcao (Atletico Madrid), Lionel Messi (Barcelona).

This is pretty laughable in a year when no Spanish teams made it to the final of the Champions league.

Pirlo, Drogba and Kompany can count themselves pretty unlucky not to be included, not to mention the German contingent.

Edited by Shillzz

It's hard to argue with it though, really. You say Drogba, bu could you include him ahead of Falcao, Messi and Ronaldo? I don't think you could.

Kompany I'd agree with. But I guess if it truly is a 2012 team of the year, he really only had half an excellent year. He hasn't been up to his own high standard this season.

Individually, all of those players put in great performances, but relatively speaking Barcelona had a poor year, so it's difficult to see why the likes of Alves and (to a lesser extent) Pique are included. Even Madrid will have been disappointed not to win the Champions League, it won't exactly go down as their finest year.

I don't think being a great team / group of players should be enough to get you these awards, it's what you achieve in the year. I take your point on Drogba, but it's still far too weighted in favour of the Spanish league. I see very little reason to include Alves or Marcelo at the expense of Lahm and perhaps Cole.

Yep. It's pretty hard to argue with that line-up.

No Premier League players come to mind as being better than any of that 11 and the German guys showed they are still a long way behind Spain with their performance in the Euros.

I may be coming at it from the wrong angle, but I don't think it should be a case of picking the best players in the world, but rather the 10 most successful players from the past year, weighted by their influence over the success that they achieved (i.e. no Djimi Traores).

I may be coming at it from the wrong angle, but I don't think it should be a case of picking the best players in the world, but rather the 10 most successful players from the past year, weighted by their influence over the success that they achieved (i.e. no Djimi Traores).

Exactly. Players like Michu so far this season. That is such a boring, unimaginative list.

Incidentally, if only English votes counted, the team would be

------------------Hart

Ramos, Kompany, Pique, Cole

-------Xavi, Y. Toure, Iniesta

Messi, ------Van Persie, -----Ronaldo

Not sure as that team is much better in all honesty. City certainly don't warrant having 3 players in the team, Kompany and possibly Toure at most, but Hart's inclusion isn't justifiable.

Van Persie has had a great year, but doesn't have anything to show for it, which would leave him behind Drogba and Falcao for my vote.

Incidentally, if only English votes counted, the team would be

------------------Hart

Ramos, Kompany, Pique, Cole

-------Xavi, Y. Toure, Iniesta

Messi, ------Van Persie, -----Ronaldo

i wouldnt argue with that one either, where'd you get it from? would like to see the votes from germany, france, italy and spain

i wouldnt argue with that one either, where'd you get it from? would like to see the votes from germany, france, italy and spain

BBC tweeted it, PFA published it.

It had FIFPro branding on it so I'm sure the other countries' versions are available too

GK - Buffon

DF - Lichsteiner - for lack of another choice. Had a great year in Turin.

DF - Hummels

DF - Chiellini

DF - Cole

MF - Iniesta

MF - Pirlo

MF - Xavi

ST - Ronaldo

ST - Cavani/Falcao - Both scored around the same amount in the same amount of games and both finished the season with a trophy. Impossible to split IMO.

ST - Messi

Edited by kurtsimonw
  • Like 1

Â