paris

Jimzk5

Should be going in april, I've only been to france on a booze cruise about 6 years ago, but Ive got a deal £390 for 2 nights including return tickets on the eurostar for me and the missus, just wondered what we could realistically do in those 48 hours? I'm not too fussed about the art galleries but in willing to give one a bash, but which one?

Any suggestions guys?

Eiffel Tower then Pompidou centre - amazing. You can take a stroll down the champs élysées too up to the arc de triumph and back down again towards Cleopatras needle and you can see the pyramid of the Louvre (if it's a nice day you can see the main attractions all aligned). Not much to actually do by those things unless you fancy going into the Louvre. If it's two full days that you have the walk down the champs élysées and around Notre Dame should be doable. If you can, take a look inside the cathedral as well.

You must go to the Eiffel Tower and have a sit down in a cafe around there (no point in going to Paris if you do not go to it) and you should visit the Pompidou Centre.

Edited by Tayls

Well we should get into France at 12.15, we may make it 3 days though, what's the Money situation like? My mate went to eurodisneylast summer and said beer was about €14, what's the price of coffee and a decent meal? Would €200 be a reasonable amount of spending money?

Edited by Jimzk5

My gf and I went about 4 years ago for new years eve. We went for a week and spent about €300 which includes entry fees to the pompidou, (about €16 each) a metro pass which I think was about €3 and drinks and dinner for 4 of our 6 nights. Whatever you do, do not get into a taxi where the driver is trying to usher you in at the station. We made that error and got done €40 for a 5 min drive. We was young and naive then. Go to one of the taxis that are in a proper bay and agree a fee first. (I'm sure you know all this though).

£6 for a cup of coffee and around £13 a pint

Take some sandwiches and a Thermas flask with you when you go

Im not one for art either but The louvre is awesome but you'll be disappointed when you see the Mona Lisa

Inside Notre Dame is the highlight in Paris for me

Can get around most of Paris by metro so buy a travel card and avoid taxis if you can as they are expensive

Edited by tonyh29

£6 for a coffee! **** hell

I was expecting beer to be steep, my mate said it was Cus there were no real pub places to have a Beer. It was either have a beer in a cafe or don't have one at all

There are places you can get beer for a reasonable price. Obviously if you're on the Champs Elysées or near the Eiffel Tower then you'll pay a premium though.

Last time I went with the Mrs we went to the Crazy Horse Saloon which was a great night out (and hot chicks!) and we also went to Le Batofar which is a former lighthouse boat that is moored up on the Seine and now used as a club. We wanted to visit the Catacombs but just missed the opening hours when we got there.

We did the open top bus thing as we had a hangover one morning so that was a nice trip. Had booked a boat cruise too but it was rained off. You could try booking one as I've done them before and they're nice.

Boat trip up the Seine as the sun is going down is pretty nice, not too expensive either.

Would also recommend going up to Sacre Coeur, better views of the city than from the Eiffel Tower IMO.

And you can get 10 tickets at a time for the metro, think the ticket is called a carnet and works out cheaper than paying each time.

Was thinking of taking my girlfriend for her birthday in July place doesnt really appeal to me but she loves the thought of Paris and really keeps hinting she wants to go

Edited by Demitri_C

Any suggestions guys?

Yeah, don't go. Fu*king dump. Over-priced. Pig-ignorant. Full of pick-pockets. Dangerous. And what's worse is it's over an enormous area making it difficult to get from A to B. Why anyone goes there I don't know. Correction, why anyone goes there more than once I don't know.

Bad experience BOF? What happened??

It's a city, like any other city you need to have your witts about you. Just because it has the reputation of being this romantic, incredible place - that doesn't mean that there isn't any trouble. You get pickpockets etc in London as well... Hell, I don't feel 100% safe when I'm walking around Coventry which Is 40mins away from my house.

Was thinking of taking my girlfriend for her birthday in July place doesnt really appeal to me but she loves the thought of Paris and really keeps hinting she wants to go

Which is why I'm going, it doesnt intrest me, id prefer to go back to Barcelona (for the 3rd time in 9 months, i love that place) but my missus has wanted to go for years

Bad experience BOF? What happened??

It's a city, like any other city you need to have your witts about you. Just because it has the reputation of being this romantic, incredible place - that doesn't mean that there isn't any trouble. You get pickpockets etc in London as well... Hell, I don't feel 100% safe when I'm walking around Coventry which Is 40mins away from my house.

Yeah a bad experience but I've been told since that, no, it's not just like any other city. Paris has a particular problem that we won't go into here. And with it being full of French it is actually pig-ignorant and unpleasant on top of that. I hate the place now but I didn't always hate it. I had to go there first and they did the rest.

Good thread! I just realised I'm on a 24hr layover in Paris in February so was reading up what to do! Probably pay to leave my suitcase at CDG and go around Paris for the day and get back to the airport late, fly out 6am

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, don't go. Fu*king dump. Over-priced. Pig-ignorant. Full of pick-pockets. Dangerous. And what's worse is it's over an enormous area making it difficult to get from A to B. Why anyone goes there I don't know. Correction, why anyone goes there more than once I don't know.

I got back from there on Friday night and totally agree with the above. There's some amazing buildings/architecture etc, but the over riding negatives of the place made it hard for me to enjoy my time there.

The Metro system, for example, is nasty - many of the stations often smell of human piss (literally), it is infested with beggars/hobos, and can be somewhat retarded with how you get from one point to another (I think this is because it's two systems lumped together rather than one main network).

The best part about Paris is the Eurostar back to England.

• 3 weeks later...

right, going in september now during the week rather than a weekend, probably stopping at a hotel near CDG airport as, from what i can work out the metro takes just 25minutes to get to paris itself and our flight back on the thursday morning is at 6am, so being close to the airport will be useful, so with that in mind we now definatly have 2 full days in paris, tuesday and wednesday and a monday afternoon, the 4 things we definatly want to do/see are the 

eifle tower

notre damn

arc de triomphe 

champs elysees

pompidou center

can anyone on here recomend which order to do these, and is the metro as reliable and easy to use as it appears?

Â