Doctor Who

mikeyp102

She's a good actress, was great in Broadchurch. 

The BBC was never going to give the gig to a white male again this time for the fear of the inevitable backlash. 

Backlash looks like it's started already.

I can understand people disliking changes to the nature of an established character. There's not many characters where making a change wouldn't be a bit weird.

But... It's Dr Who. The whole point is the character regenerates and become another aspect, or take, on the character. It's basically a character who has being rebooted built into the canon. Changing the character is the point. Why shouldn't it be a woman?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cliffy Biro said:

Not surprised they've made that choice really, we are in the pc very easily offended age.

She's also a really good actress. 

There would have been a backlash either way IMO

If it was a white male then the BBC would have been accused of being in the dark ages and by appointing a woman they are classed as being too PC. 

I'm sure she will do great. 

4 minutes ago, Cliffy Biro said:

Not surprised they've made that choice really, we are in the pc very easily offended age.

AKA an age of male / female equality?

1 minute ago, Jon said:

She's also a really good actress. 

If thats the reason they chose her then i applaud them, i honestly do. I'll be happier when the fact that someone is a women or black or white is excluded from an article about a casting or an appointment though.

6 minutes ago, Jon said:

By whom?

Comments sections on newspapers, Dr Who 'traditionalists' on Dr Who /  Sci-fi forums (had a look before the announcement to see what the views were)

35 minutes ago, Jon said:

Zackly chinders.  This ain't james bond. 

In fairness there is the theory that 'James Bond' is just a codename for various British spies, so each new Bond is literally a new Bond.

Unfortunately Skyfall bollocksed that by giving him a backstory. And also bollocksed that continuity by giving him knowledge of the Connery era.

...But that's for another topic.

Dr Who being a woman is completely fine. But I bet the viewership tanks.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chindie said:

In fairness there is the theory that 'James Bond' is just a codename for various British spies, so each new Bond is literally a new Bond.

Unfortunately Skyfall bollocksed that by giving him a backstory. And also bollocksed that continuity by giving him knowledge of the Connery era.

...But that's for another topic.

Dr Who being a woman is completely fine. But I bet the viewership tanks.

Bond was described very well in the books tbh. I seem to remember there being a drawing too.

I'm out. I think we need strong femqle characters on TV, but I think they should be new, and they need to be their own thing.

my niece has text me the very same, she has been watching since she was 6! Apparently her mates saying the same too.

• Like 1

Â