Doctor Who

mikeyp102

13 minutes ago, DK82 said:

I'm out. I think we need strong femqle characters on TV, but I think they should be new, and they need to be their own thing.

my niece has text me the very same, she has been watching since she was 6! Apparently her mates saying the same too.

OK. But, as an outsider... Why does it matter that Dr Who regenerates as a woman?

If this was a comic character, something I can relate to, I might agree with you. I wouldn't be happy if they decided that Tony Stark was now Tania (they actually have recently done this with Stark no longer Iron Man and a new female black character is now in his place, and it's rubbish. It feels very token and fundamentally Iron Man is Stark). I'm happier with them coming up with new characters. Some characters get away with it, the new Spiderman in the Ultimate universe isn't Peter Parker and has been well received, the new Ms. Marvel is a Muslim and is a brilliant character, Wolverine when he died was replaced by X23, a female clone... Others are crap - the new Hulk is horrible.

But with Dr Who... There is no canon character, is there? Because the character dies and it resets over and over again. Why is it being woman bad?

You won't be alone feeling that, as I said the viewership will tank now. But it's completely daft.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chindie said:

OK. But, as an outsider... Why does it matter that Dr Who regenerates as a woman?

If this was a comic character, something I can relate to, I might agree with you. I wouldn't be happy if they decided that Tony Stark was now Tania (they actually have recently done this with Stark no longer Iron Man and a new female black character is now in his place, and it's rubbish. It feels very token and fundamentally Iron Man is Stark). I'm happier with them coming up with new characters. Some characters get away with it, the new Spiderman in the Ultimate universe isn't Peter Parker and has been well received, the new Ms. Marvel is a Muslim and is a brilliant character, Wolverine when he died was replaced by X23, a female clone... Others are crap - the new Hulk is horrible.

But with Dr Who... There is no canon character, is there? Because the character dies and it resets over and over again. Why is it being woman bad?

You won't be alone feeling that, as I said the viewership will tank now. But it's completely daft.

Just how I feel. JW is a wonderful actress, really great. I just don’t have the feel for it.

As daft as I might be, so are those who are now going to watch because of a female actor. But neither are right or wrong, it is simply opinion.

1 minute ago, mikeyp102 said:

Let's hope she does a good job.

I wonder if the doctor spends her first day as woman as we all would if we changed into a women...playing with herself and staring at my boobs? 

Tbh I’ve got boobs, so am halfway there.

i hope it works too. If only for young girls wanting role models.

• Like 1

What will happen with his companion now, don't they always play on the romantic chemistry between the two of them? will they get a male companion in for the doctor or would that fly in the face of the 'gender equality' thing that they seem to be going for, maybe a female doc with a female companion?

Ha just noticed that I opened that post with 'his' companion, a female doctor just doesn't seem right

2 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

What will happen with his companion now, don't they always play on the romantic chemistry between the two of them? will they get a male companion in for the doctor or would that fly in the face of the 'gender equality' thing that they seem to be going for, maybe a female doc with a female companion?

Ha just noticed that I opened that post with 'his' companion, a female doctor just doesn't seem right

Bill Potts was a great companion, I think she might come back. 

couldn't give a monkeys. Unlike Bond at least there's a more than feasible reason why it can be a woman - regeneration and er the whole is an ALIEN etc. Only concern is that she's good and given good material to work with. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rodders said:

couldn't give a monkeys. Unlike Bond at least there's a more than feasible reason why it can be a woman - regeneration and er the whole is an ALIEN etc. Only concern is that she's good and given good material to work with. 

Thank god Moffatt isn’t writing for her, the only female he made feel real was Bill!

2 minutes ago, Rodders said:

yes this is true. Bill was good. And the new showrunner knows this jodie person from the same show I gather. Never seen Broadchurch myself.

I haven’t seen it either, had been meaning to though.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

the viewership will tank now. 

Don't see why.  It might grow.  Outside of some shallow chauvinist a holes, it might generate some more interest amongst female viewers who have been largely closed out by UK sci fi

12 hours ago, DK82 said:

How dare somebody have an opinion. Grow up.

You can certainly have an opinion.  I just think it's a pathetic one.  Get over it 

It's a bit of a sad reflection that on the BBC TV news earlier, part of the article about the new Dr Who commented that there had been a number of strong female characters cast recently, and this had proved 'popular'.

Wow! Turns out 50% of the planet is female and having female representation on the telly hasn't actually caused a lesbian zombie apocalypse. Not straight away anyway.

People need to get a bloody grip, this isn't Saudi Arabia.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jon said:

Don't see why.  It might grow.  Outside of some shallow chauvinist a holes, it might generate some more interest amongst female viewers who have been largely closed out by UK sci fi

Never underestimate nerd culture fanbases to deride and ditch things when they change in ways they don't like. I say that as someone who this week has said he won't watch an adaptation of his favourite book if they mess up one particular element of the approach to a character so I will include myself there ;)

Equally it plays straight into the element of society that reads the Heil and goes on about the world going to the dogs and PC going mad (even if it makes no sense at all) which will help poison the well.

It might bring in some new viewers (I'm tempted to try again with it), but I bet the series viewership is down once it's done.

Sadly the world is still not very progressive.

• Like 1

Â