Weekends football 15/16 December

andykeenan

Incredible first half. Great tactical battle between the two sides at the top of La Liga.

Atletico had a very strong start and fully deserved their goal, which was finished beautifully by Falcao. He's one hell of a striker - certainly the best number 9 in world football.

Adriano's goal to equalise was unreal and from then on Barça really stepped it up a notch. Busquets showed excellent composure to put them in front just before the break.

Hopefully the second half will be just as entertaining. Great stuff.

Assuming Barca see this out then their record in the league will read P16 W15 D1 L0 Pts46. The game they drew was the Classico against Real Madrid. It's not a bad way to take to life after Pep, is it?

Harsh on Pep to phrase it like that, but to get to the point where Barcelona are requires a club to be built from the ground up, it takes a lot of people and a long time. You cant just bring in a manager and have it change overnight.

As for the greatest team of all time comment? I'd wager the great AC Milan side of Gullit, Rijkaard and Van Basten would give Barcelona a run for their money.

Yeah I know it sounds harsh but I can tell you get what I mean.

Pep didn't build Barca and their way of playing that goes back through the work of a number of managers all the way back to Cruyff and has continued beyond Pep's time there.

It just seems sometimes that it is viewed as the team Guardiola built when the truth is far more complex than that. I just wonder what will happen when he does arrive in London or Manchester because I think the expectations on him will be totally unrealistic because you can't build again what you didn't build the first time.

I'm very bored with this 'calendar year' goalscoring nonsense. Since when did calendar years matter in football?

I make it 8 braces in his last 8 starts for Messi, strange he's not getting hat tricks this season but then 2 per game is doing no harm to his stats.

When someone scores 90, potentially more, goals in a calendar year, it's worthy of notice. It may not be something that is usually discussed and as such might seem a little overblown, particularly as the football calendar isn't played over a single year (in most leagues we're familiar with anyway) but it's not a record that is regularly significant in the modern era as no-one has come close to breaking it. Messi has, and it's the most current statistical indication of what a magnificent player he is.

Still some way off Godfrey Chitalu's record.

I think Rev's is safe, too.

Â