Art / Modern Art 'Appreciation'

chrisp65

It's art made by amateurs, eccentrics, mavericks, autistic savants - people who are not part of the 'art establishment'; in many cases, patients in psychiatric institutions. 

Some of it is quite astonishing. 

I've got a CD of early outsider Swedish abstract/electronic music.

It's proper mental.

• 7 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

ok I hate art ..but i hate that even more than i hate normal art

art is stuff that hangs in churches and palaces  ..I wouldn't hang that in a Northerners coal shed ( or bathroom as we call them in the south )

I like Hockney. Not a one trick pony by means, some of his life pictures are very fine indeed, and his abstracts are often quite easy on the eye

What's on the walls at chez Tony then?

I like Hockney. Not a one trick pony by means, some of his life pictures are very fine indeed, and his abstracts are often quite easy on the eye

What's on the walls at chez Tony then?

wallpaper :)

we tend to have photos of the kids tbh but the walls themselves are fairly plain , i want a nice picture for the living room but have yet to find one that Mrs H and I can agree on :)  ....

got some pics in the hall way which we got in China ,mainly as the artist had no hands and drew them with his feet ..... ours are of pandas but i guess style wise  it would be something like this

painting_08.jpg

We have a Don Bachardy original in our dining room, my wife since we were very young was a big fan of Bachardys partner, the writer Christopher Isherwood, christmases and birthdays were spent sourcing first editions and hard to find books of Christopher Isherwoods, one year I managed to get hold of a Don Bachardy painting and that hangs in our dining room. 

I am loving the art everywhere billboards at the moment in train stations and bus stops. The one piece that I really liked was My Parents by David Hockney.

T03255_10.jpg

I was having a good look at that yesterday on a bus stop near my house. It's such a terrific painting, i'd seen it before in books/online etc but as i'd never seen it on such a scale I stood for quite a while having a good gawp.

I might stick some of my oil paintings on here at some point. Tony will absolutely hate them  :D

• Like 1

Back in my apple days I had a client who ran a design studio ..became friends with him over the years and so used to pop in for coffee and stuff if I was passing

turns out for a while when he was younger he ran an art gallery or something in New York and become friends with Andy Warhol  .. he has about 4 Warhol originals in a safe in his house , that as far as I'm aware nobody knows exist  ..he showed them to me but it was  a few years back now so i cnat recall what they were of

I suspect he may not have acquired them through strictly legal means  and why they are hidden away but I guess at some point they will surface  ...

My brother was on a  dive boat in Antarctica the other year with some American guy called Wyland , who drew everyone a small picture and signed it as a goodbye and thanks for your company type thing  .. his stuff is going for silly money  ..doubt it will be worth fortunes but it was a nice gesture

I am loving the art everywhere billboards at the moment in train stations and bus stops. The one piece that I really liked was My Parents by David Hockney.

T03255_10.jpg

I was having a good look at that yesterday on a bus stop near my house. It's such a terrific painting, i'd seen it before in books/online etc but as i'd never seen it on such a scale I stood for quite a while having a good gawp.

I might stick some of my oil paintings on here at some point. Tony will absolutely hate them  :D

Its next to the gents on stafford train station and 3 mornings on my way to the gents (what can I say, I'm in my 40's, never turn down the opportunity for a pee) I have stopped in my tracks to take it in.

Â