Art / Modern Art 'Appreciation'

chrisp65

6 minutes ago, choffer said:

An appreciative gnod of the head in your direction for that one, Mr P.

Anything on Rocket is fine by me.

It was pure coincidence a couple of us elsewhere were discussing the artwork and how we could nick it for a project and then this thread popped back up. 

• Like 3

I don't know how to understand what paintings mean or how to tell the difference between a good painting and a bad one, I just like the ones that I find visually appealing.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Anything on Rocket is fine by me.

I may have said this elsewhere, I love Rocket and I'm not really a labelist but I'm often shocked when I get vinyl home and again its on Rocker. Always really well packaged too

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

spacer.png

$70m for a e-collage.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-auction-christie-s-nft/digital-only-artwork-fetches-nearly-70-million-at-christies-idUSKBN2B3275

“Everydays - The First 5000 Days” is a digital work by American artist Mike Winkelmann, known as Beeple. It is a collage of 5,000 individual images, which were made one-per-day over more than thirteen years.

The sale of the work for $69,346,250 put Beeple in the top three most valuable living artists, Christie’s said in a tweet.

The work is in the form of a new type of digital asset - a Non-Fungible Token (NFT) - meaning it is authenticated by blockchain, which certifies its originality and ownership."

• 8 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Gertrude Abercrombie was an American painter known for her modestly scaled Surrealist works. Abercrombie’s motifs included owls, moonlit landscapes, and cats, as seen in her work The Courtship (1949), which she painted in a controlled palette of colors. “I am not interested in complicated things nor in the commonplace, I like to paint simple things that are a little strange,” she once explained. “My work comes directly from my inner consciousness and it must come easily.” Born on February 17, 1909 in Austin, TX, her parents worked for an opera company that traveled around America and Europe. Her family returned to the United States from Berlin after the outbreak of World War I, eventually settling in Chicago. She went on to study languages at the University of Illinois and attended classes at the School of the Art Institute Chicago. During the 1930s, Abercrombie became friends with a number of jazz musicians including Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie, and often hosted music sessions and parties in her home. Though Abercrombie didn’t pay much attention to the art of her time, she did cite René Magritte as an important influence on her practice. The artist died on April 3, 1977 in Chicago, IL. Today, Abercrombie’s works are held in the collections of the Smithsonian American Art Museum in Washington, D.C., the Milwaukee Art Museum, and the Museum of Contemporary Art in Chicago, among others.

d6aaf09a-252c-46d3-a758-da0f3f2f9e96_g.J

I was admiring this one yesterday that has a childlike quality, 'Creeping Cat' by Karel Appel.

Edited by useless
Edit: It wasn't actually this cat, but one by the same artist done in a similar style. I like this one too.

Â