Art / Modern Art 'Appreciation'

chrisp65

I was once invited to a gallery for a viewing evening., One of the main pieces was a large pit of sand, probably about 4 x 5 meters all smooth with 3 ball bearings rolled across it. I asked the artist what it represented. The twunts response was "if I have to explain it, I'm wasting my time". Like I said, twunt.

• Like 4

I'm a bit old fashioned in my appreciation of art.. I need to look at it and think.. "That's fantastic, I couldn't do that". Stuff like the Night Watch, the work in the Sistine Chapel or the Raphael Rooms. Coloured shapes on a white background, or an unmade bed, or a light blinking on and off are, quite frankly, not my cup of tea. I struggle to see it as art.

I'm with Tony on the Angel of the North. Not a big fan of Gormley at all tbh his big pieces always look better in photo's than real life. The Angel of the North for example always looks huge, massive, totally impressive in photo's whereas in real life its more like Spinal Tap's stonehenge stage prop. His Another Place on the beach over the road from me always looked good in photo's when it was in Germany and elsewhere but in Crosby he's spaced out the statues so even with the widest lens you can only ever get three statues in a frame and two of them will be tiny, it's wrong, it no longer works. I also dislike that most of Gormley's work is all in his own image too, that kind of irks me too

I'm with Tony on the Angel of the North. Not a big fan of Gormley at all tbh his big pieces always look better in photo's than real life. The Angel of the North for example always looks huge, massive, totally impressive in photo's whereas in real life its more like Spinal Tap's stonehenge stage prop. His Another Place on the beach over the road from me always looked good in photo's when it was in Germany and elsewhere but in Crosby he's spaced out the statues so even with the widest lens you can only ever get three statues in a frame and two of them will be tiny, it's wrong, it no longer works. I also dislike that most of Gormley's work is all in his own image too, that kind of irks me too

I quite like the AotN, and I think Another Place is brilliant - exact opposite to you, I think it's better in real life than in photographs.

On the other hand, I don't particularly like the Henry Moore/Barbara Hepworth school, which is pretty much iconic up here (Leeds City Art Gallery, Wakefield Hepworth Gallery, Yorkshire Sculpture Park).

Like I said, it's all subjective.

I was once invited to a gallery for a viewing evening., One of the main pieces was a large pit of sand, probably about 4 x 5 meters all smooth with 3 ball bearings rolled across it. I asked the artist what it represented. The twunts response was "if I have to explain it, I'm wasting my time". Like I said, twunt.

I could be an artist if you don't even have to explain what it means.

Surely that's what modern art is about, explaining what whatever it is you've drawn/made represents.

If you don't even have to do that, then it's just a sandpit, or a messy bed, or shit picture of a snail.

• Like 1

I quite like the AotN, and I think Another Place is brilliant - exact opposite to you, I think it's better in real life than in photographs.

On the other hand, I don't particularly like the Henry Moore/Barbara Hepworth school, which is pretty much iconic up here (Leeds City Art Gallery, Wakefield Hepworth Gallery, Yorkshire Sculpture Park).

Like I said, it's all subjective.

Ah well I do like Hepworth / Moore. I remember managing a Ball at Bretton Hall one year and spend most of the day after wandering around the sculpture park. Even went to the Henry Moore exhibition at the Tate not so long ago.

If you've seen another place you have my every sympathy apart from not looking me up for a pint :P

I met Gormley when Ap was being assembled, I think I have the only set of photo's that shows the entire process. Gormley thought I was from the council, documenting the event so started to chat to me, nice enough bloke to be honest.

shit picture of a snail.

Oi!, I ****' loves that snail.

On people's view that they could be an artist, well, yes. It's true, anyone can be an artist, it's truly accessible. Just some northern twunt with cardboard and an ability to draw other matchstick northerners? I'm sure we can find room for you in the artists club.

What you might not be is a rich celebrity artist. To be that you need a combination of several things in various proportions, 1) incredible luck, 2) actually talent, 3) an agent

People do like a back story to art, it's another one of those cases where once you can fake sincerity you're half way there.

I think it was Alexei Sayle once commented that he wanted to go to Chelsea Art School because he was really good at drawing horses, but everyone else there wanted to parade around the shopping centre pretending to be teapots to challenge people's conceptions of art.

I'm not so sure about art myself. I mean 90% of it is alright, you know, nothing special. I suppose most of it is fine, you know - that's why they call it fine art!

Your avatar is a fine avatar. It is art, and it is better than fine. It is great art. It transcends fine art. I feel it encapsulates the fundamental dichotomy of Western cartesian dualism.

Talking of Magritte, The Pleasure Principal was a great exhibition at Tate Liverpool.

In fact my Tate membership is probably my greatest indulgence these days. I get absolute value for money for it though, not one year has gone by that I haven't got more than double the individual price of admission to exhibitions back and that doesn't include going to the same exhibition 2 or 3 times, which I would never do if I was paying.

• 1 year later...
Â