Art / Modern Art 'Appreciation'

chrisp65

• 2 weeks later...

Ah OK.

I'll put this one on as I know we have a few movie fans too.

Basically, I attempted to create Frank from Donnie Darko in the style of Edvard Munch but giving his expression a happier tone.

donnie_painting_back.jpg

Should point out that the above is a comp of photos taken from different angles. The actual canvas is 36x48". 

That is fantastic! Will you be doing prints?

• Like 1

That is fantastic! Will you be doing prints?

Cheers for the compliment, always nice to hear  :thumb:

I have an account on Society6 with some of my other bits and bobs on and they do prints on there, so I might add this at some point.

• 1 year later...

You know what? I'm sick of pretending. I went to art school, wrote a dissertation called "The Elevation of Art Through Commerce: An Analysis of Charles Saatchi's Approach to the Machinery of Art Production Using Pierre Bourdieu's Theories of Distinction", have attended art openings at least once a month for the last five years, even **** purchased pieces of it, but the other night, after attending the opening of the new Tracey Emin retrospective at the Hayward Gallery, I'm finally ready to come out and say it: I just don't think I "get" art.

Vice on Emin and modern art.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

This christmas I will be treating myself to a couple of Hopper prints. I like the space and the quiet and the silence in them. I'm a fan.

Yeah I like a bit of Hopper's stuff. As you say there's a quietness about them, a sort of remoteness. 

Reminds me in part of Magritte and the influences of both can be see in the stuff Storm Thorgerson used to do. A strange calm is present in them.

Having said that, I think I'm getting a  print of Bal du moulin de la Galette by Renoir for my new place (when I eventually move in) which is a bit of a contrast to all the quiet remoteness.

Ah, this thread again!

Noticed the Hockney on the previous page. I'm a fan too. I like this one:

06.01_Hockney_David_A_bigger_splash_1967_243x243.jpg

Because it reminds me of the great Cheever story 'The Swimmer', as well as Mad Men!

I've grown to become quite a fan of Manet too.

Edouard_Manet_004.jpg

Good stuff.

An early example of blatant product placement (Bass), there.

On 13 November 2013 at 11:17, coda said:

5088914-3x2-940x627.jpg

Most expensive work ever auctioned at $142.4m

That money could get you Gareth Bale for a season. 

I watched a thing a while back about criminality in banking and the movement of money - and a chap on there made a claim that nearly all the really incredibly high priced paintings were bought for the highest price possible as a way to move money. Moving $142.4m is difficult - moving a painting from one country to another, less so. He claimed that the entirety of that part of the market was about turning the most impractical money into something practical.

5088914-3x2-940x627.jpg

Most expensive work ever auctioned at $142.4m

That money could get you Gareth Bale for a season. 

I watched a thing a while back about criminality in banking and the movement of money - and a chap on there made a claim that nearly all the really incredibly high priced paintings were bought for the highest price possible as a way to move money. Moving $142.4m is difficult - moving a painting from one country to another, less so. He claimed that the entirety of that part of the market was about turning the most impractical money into something practical.

Sounds interesting, what program was that?

Â