Media and punditry

BOF

On 18/12/2023 at 11:28, oishiiniku_uk said:

Really enjoyed a little interchange between Adrian Clarke (big Arsenal fan) and Jimbo on the Totally Football show: Clarke is waxing lyrical about how Arsenal played amazingly well against Brighton and how teams don't often score more than two against them. Jimbo points out that Villa beat them 6-1 and then Adrian Clarke immediately tries to backpedal saying that 'Well, Brighton don't seem as strong, certainly not defensively' 😂 You can't have it both ways, mate!

Yeah, that was funny.   I'll just say that I like Adrian Clarke (he's actually an ex Arsenal player, a youth academy graduate who became a mid 90s squad player before being sold by Wenger) but Jimbo remains a shining light in the football media landscape.  Everything he's done from Gazzetta Football Italia on Channel 4 through to the Podcasts and the Champions League goals shows have been fantastic.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

I watched the clip and he said we are having a great season but has watched us twice live and wasnt that impressed

On the one hand, that's fair enough - if I'd watched us against, say, Forest and Brentford I wouldn't get what the fuss was about either - but isn't it kind of shocking for a guy who makes his living talking about football to have only watched the team in 3rd in the league twice all season?

25 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

On the one hand, that's fair enough - if I'd watched us against, say, Forest and Brentford I wouldn't get what the fuss was about either - but isn't it kind of shocking for a guy who makes his living talking about football to have only watched the team in 3rd in the league twice all season?

He said he only watched us live twice

Mu god, I realised I not only hate Arsenal and there lego manager, but listening to there fans I am begining to hate every one of them too. On the radio earlier, an Arsewipe fan " I think we have a better chance at winning the league this year, I mean we have a weak Man City, Tottenham who are dropping off and maybe only Liverpool to worry about with this season, there's no one else who can really challenge us"???

Would have loved to have called in and told him, the Villa are in the top 4 and beat you recently, you dumbass!!!

As for Darren Bent (who I generally like), trying to justify Arteta is a world class manager, an has been a roaring success at Arsenal in the 4 years he has mamanged them. To me he has won 1 cup and bottled the league, I wouldn't say with the resources he has, Arteta is has been a success just yet.

59 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Mu god, I realised I not only hate Arsenal and there lego manager, but listening to there fans I am begining to hate every one of them too. On the radio earlier, an Arsewipe fan " I think we have a better chance at winning the league this year, I mean we have a weak Man City, Tottenham who are dropping off and maybe only Liverpool to worry about with this season, there's no one else who can really challenge us"???

Would have loved to have called in and told him, the Villa are in the top 4 and beat you recently, you dumbass!!!

As for Darren Bent (who I generally like), trying to justify Arteta is a world class manager, an has been a roaring success at Arsenal in the 4 years he has mamanged them. To me he has won 1 cup and bottled the league, I wouldn't say with the resources he has, Arteta is has been a success just yet.

If you want to annoy any Arsenal fan, just tell them that Villa are in the title race. They all seem to take personal offence at the very notion of it. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, The_Rev said:

Yeah, that was funny.   I'll just say that I like Adrian Clarke (he's actually an ex Arsenal player, a youth academy graduate who became a mid 90s squad player before being sold by Wenger) but Jimbo remains a shining light in the football media landscape.  Everything he's done from Gazzetta Football Italia on Channel 4 through to the Podcasts and the Champions League goals shows have been fantastic.  

I do like Clarke generally as well. Just has his blind spots like everyone, I guess. 

18 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Ridiculously poor punditry on sky last night little to no football content pre match. Clearly unhappy and dismissive of where we are in the league , defending every poor officiating decision post match.

The Liverpool vs Arsenal game is gonna be interesting. Huge pressure on the referee not to f** up!

21 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Ridiculously poor punditry on sky last night little to no football content pre match. Clearly unhappy and dismissive of where we are in the league , defending every poor officiating decision post match.

Neville said it would be a miracle if we finish in the top four

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Is he so wrong? 'A miracle' is strong language, but we can easily fail to make top 4. 

Yes, we have 39 points after 18 games. If we were 10th I would suggest it would be a miracle but not when we are currently lying 2nd with half a season gone

26 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Is he so wrong? 'A miracle' is strong language, but we can easily fail to make top 4. 

Based on our form over the past 12 months only Man City have accumulated more points. So would it really be such a miracle? 

8 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

It's unlikely but certainly wouldn't be a miracle to finish 4th.

You sound like the media? 

Why so unlikely? Just because we drew against park the bus Sheffield United, now we are going to drop down the league, giving up places to Tottenham, Newcastle or maybe Man U???

8 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

You sound like the media? 

Why so unlikely? Just because we drew against park the bus Sheffield United, now we are going to drop down the league, giving up places to Tottenham, Newcastle or maybe Man U???

Unlikely because our squad "only" cost around £300m 

In reality we shouldn't be finishing above man utd and their billion pound squad and even quietly spurs and arsenal has spent several hundred million on theirs and that's without factoring in wages, our squad cost less than half of Liverpools so it should be unlikely that we finish above them 

Fortunately football doesn't work like that 

• Like 2

It’s chip wrapper punditry, in the bin the next day.

After Arsenal he was saying he had us 5th at the start of the season and that we had a chance of finishing 4th (“there’s a chance there…that fourth space is up for grabs”). He did also say that he felt could fall away.

So he felt we could finish in the top four. He also felt we might not finish in the top four. 

It is worthless. 

And this isn’t just Neville, it’s basically all of them. I’ll give some leeway in that the desire for endless analysis and commentary leads to this so it’s not completely all their fault. Maybe just shutting the **** up from time to time has some merit.

Edited by Mark Albrighton

Â