Ashley Westwood

Nabby

He is one of our best players and I find it strange how so many don't rate him. He has been surrounded by tripe and as such isn't making the impact he should be. A player like him needs movement and some quality attacking outlets, he has neither in his time here. It's possible that he might jump ship and I for one wouldn't blame him as he deserves to be playing in a better side than us.

• Like 1

He is one of our best players and I find it strange how so many don't rate him. He has been surrounded by tripe and as such isn't making the impact he should be. A player like him needs movement and some quality attacking outlets, he has neither in his time here. It's possible that he might jump ship and I for one wouldn't blame him as he deserves to be playing in a better side than us.

I mostly agree with this. No one ahead of him seems to move at all which is probably why he ends up passing it sideways. Really unbelievable that cleverly gets a start when Westwood is on the bench.

Well I would argue he contributes more than Cleverly and doesn't make as many mistakes as Sanchez but hard to say what else he does except go missing sometimes.

His set pieces were getting better though so that is one positive.

The issue is most of our midfield are a mixture of things and none of them good enough to define them. I though Sanchez was going to be our midfield lynchpin that would allow Delph to go box to box, but now Delph doesn't do much of that and Sanchez can't be trusted with possession.

Last season he was joint with Gerrard for chances created with 64. Says alot that he managed to create so much while having the likes of Gabby and Weimann to aim at for most of the season. I wonder if he had a couple of clinical strikers ahead of him how many assists he would of got. He had 6 assists in his first season which isn't bad for a deep lying midfielder and shows that he can do the job when he has an inform striker infront of him.

Showed today why he is important to this team and why he must play. Some will have other opinions of course but for me he is on that teamsheet starting week in week out.

Did he? In what way? I thought it was the usual average performance he puts in.

He was quite good today.

Not great in the first 15 minutes, as was everyone else.

After that he was good. Certainly an improvement on Sanchez's performance last week, although I'd still have Sanchez ahead of him when he's on form.

5 minutes to go, hes playing the ball back, to keep posession.He needs to speed the game up not slow it down.

He was ok today, not a fan tbh, but without Gil we would be a very poor team going forward.

There was a moment in injury time when Westwood had the ball, wa looking for a pass to Hutton, and Gil took the ball off him, ran forward 5 yds, committed a player, and played the ball into space for Cissokho to get a cross in, we won a corner from it.Its the lack of urgency in Westwoods game that annoys me, would have Sanchez every time.

I thought he did ok but we would be better suited with having Sanchez behind Westwood  and Delph as we need Sanchez in the team for his tackling,   Dunno how much longer it can go before those three are tried properly as a midfield 3 than always leaving one of the three out to accomodate Cleverely.....

5 minutes to go, hes playing the ball back, to keep posession.He needs to speed the game up not slow it down.

He was ok today, not a fan tbh, but without Gil we would be a very poor team going forward.

There was a moment in injury time when Westwood had the ball, wa looking for a pass to Hutton, and Gil took the ball off him, ran forward 5 yds, committed a player, and played the ball into space for Cissokho to get a cross in, we won a corner from it.Its the lack of urgency in Westwoods game that annoys me, would have Sanchez every time.

I find it strange that you would say he lacks urgency as to my eyes he is the one player always getting things moving quickly for us with first time passes and quick execution of his passes. 

The thing is, that's EXACTLY what Westwood should be doing.

Winning the ball or receiving it from the back for and workign it into space for payers like Gil or sinclair to do something with it.

That's what people like he and, dare I say it, Cleverley are there to do.

Our problem is we've had 2 or 3 of those players in the same midfield for half the season. Westwood gets the ball and gives it to Cleverley. But then he can't do anything with it because Westwood has just done what he normally does. There's nobody in there to do the attacking.

Players like Westwood and Cleverley are good when there's somebody there to take the attacking/creative reins up. But when your midfield is full of them then you've got nothing. It's like a car with only 3rd gear.

Edited by Stevo985

No its not! We are 2-1 down at home, his 1st instinct is to play the ball safe, and keep the ball, fine in the 70th minute, but in the 85th you have to try and take a chance and look for a ball forward.

Funny how the 2 commentators, both commented that we don't get the ball forward quick enough.

You could argue with that kind of opinion its no surprise why we have only scored 1 goal in 10 hours.

I was talking more in general than that one specific incident. Maybe I went off on a tangent a bit. I do agree that we don't get the ball forward enough.

I guess my point is that players like Westwood, Cleverley and to a lesser extent Delph, are victims of our lack of attacking midfielders in that they're expected to do a job that they can't do.

That's a criticism of them slightly, as they're just not good enough going forward to do that job for us. But I still think it's a job we all know they can't do, so why are they being asked to do?

It would be like putting Hutton up front. He'd be shit there. But the bigger question would be why are we playing him there and not somebody who's more capable?

Edited by Stevo985

I remember that moment in the 85th minute, one of the Chelsea players was right on top of him and he had to turn back twice and ended up laying it off,  he couldn't play it forward as he was under too much pressure. He gets things moving more quickly than any of our other midfielders and I think he and us would really benefit from him being pushed up a bit and not have too sit so deep all the time.

Don't disagree with that then Stevo.The problem for me is that i think PL has misinterpreted increased possession as being improved performances.We play too many safe passes, thats why Gil is so important, and hopefully Sinclair in the near future.

For me though, you can only play 2 of Westwood, Cleverley, Bacuna, Sanchez or Delph, if you want to win games.

No he wasn't Bunnski, he brought it down, played it backwards to Okores, who played it to Hutton, wh o played it to Cissokho, who then played it back to Clark, that is why the commentators made their comments.

I thought he was ok today, nothing special, i just think he spends too long on the ball.We need to speed it up.