Ashley Westwood

Nabby

I remember last season when people were comparing him to Wilshere

:crylaugh:

He's nothing like Wilshere in play style, even when in form.  Delph is more that kind of player within our midfield.

Edited by StefanAVFC

Delph is precisely NOTHING like Wilshere.  At all.

Well they are both prone to regular yellow cards and misstimed tackles, other than that, no they are nothing alike at all

The most overrated player we have. Seems to be a passenger for 90% of games and has hardly won us many points. Useless in the final third and is STILL on corners.

He should definitely be off corner duty. If he gets a start then Tonev should get a chance. He took them against Malaga pre season. Whipped them in with pace with both feet. A bit hit and miss but perfect delivery for Vlaar's goal. And better than the standard floated rubbish Westwood serves up. With Tonev out the team then Bacuna/Lowton/anyone else worth a try.

Could it be that Lambert is TELLING them to float them in?

Bannan did it and got stick for it

Now Westwood is doing the same and getting the same stick.

That's probably true. I'd like to see the corner taking part of Villa's training sessions. Must take up a good minute or two.

Could it be that Lambert is TELLING them to float them in?

Bannan did it and got stick for it

Now Westwood is doing the same and getting the same stick.

But then when Bacuna was on corner duty, didn't he whip them in more?

Seems like the exception rather than the rule, seeing as our full time corner takers in the last 2 seasons (Bannan then Westwood) have floated them in. I'm not even defending him (you wouldn't find me defending Bannan), it's just too much of a coincidence to not be a tactical thing.

I think the floated balls are for Benteke, if you look at where CB stands he wants to attack the ball and do his basket ball leap. But i'd agree the set pieces need variation as its easy to stop those floaters as really we only have one player who really wants to attack the ball.

The way Delph and Wilshere run with the ball/take people on is definitely similar.

Yep, the way Delph will look to shift past a player and then drive forward with the ball is exactly what Wiltshire does for Arsenal.

Wiltshire obviously then has a lot more end product with his passing and shooting but you could say Delph is a poor mans Wiltshire.

and Wilshere a poor mans Ramsey

They play different roles. Ramsey is playing further forward than Wiltshire this season. Though this is now quite off topic!

True this is about Westwood of course. Our midfield is probably our weakest area now our defence has improved.

They play different roles. Ramsey is playing further forward than Wiltshire this season. Though this is now quite off topic!

True this is about Westwood of course. Our midfield is probably our weakest area now our defence has improved.

Maybe it always was our midfield. The amount of times last year i saw Vlaar being pulled out of Position to cover for them and then we conceded. To the naked eye it prob looked all Vlaars fault but allot of the time it wasnt. Our new defence coach has prob told him to stay in CB now

Maybe it always was our midfield. The amount of times last year i saw Vlaar being pulled out of Position to cover for them and then we conceded. To the naked eye it prob looked all Vlaars fault but allot of the time it wasnt. Our new defence coach has prob told him to stay in CB now

Everton's first goal was due to this.

Everton's first goal was due to this.

Im not sure about this and will probably be corrected but was Liverpools goal this season something similar