Joe Bennett

Si.

Absolute cack.

**** hell, I detest our fans at times. A guy coming in in his first season in the Premiership and found it hard. He improved towards the back end of the season, yet some people will still keep the blinkered view that he's terrible. It's your opinion, at the end of the day, but he's clearly not 'absolute shite' or 'bloody awful'.

Bennett in particularly copped a lot of flak last year. Some warranted definitely, but some was ridiculously OTT. He closed his Twitter because of abuse and he got it from the fans at home games.

Imagine how that would affect you as a person, if all you got was absolute abuse from your so-called 'fans', just for doing your job. But obviously, it's part of the job because he earns good money. It winds me up how people can take a moral high ground over footballers because they earn good money as well. Absolute cobblers.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 3

The only signing Lambert made that he replaced this summer.

He was quite obviously awful last season and needed replacing. He may well improve and be good enough and let's hope he does but there's no point pretending he was good enough last year simply because he wears a villa shirt.

He was quite obviously awful last season and needed replacing. He may well improve and be good enough and let's hope he does but there's no point pretending he was good enough last year simply because he wears a villa shirt.

He needed some competition/cover as Bennett was the only player at left back for this season if no-one was signed

He needed some competition/cover as Bennett was the only player at left back for this season if no-one was signed

Absolutely this. He wasn't so much replaced, as much given competition. Luna just took his chance in pre-season and made the spot his own.

We were crying out for width yesterday and for all his shortcomings in his first season in the premiership, one thing Bennett offered us was width - especially going forward. It's far too early to write him off as he has a very good left foot. Once he has matured and gained more strength he will prove to be a very decent left sided player.

To be fair though, when Bennett came on in that game, it looked like he had forgotten he had to defend. Whether that was PL's tactics or JB; I don't know. I doubt PL would have let him stay that attacking if that wasn't the instruction.

By the time he came on against Chelsea the game was dead and buried, would be hard for a inexperienced left back to come on and alter the game. I was pleased how he progressed last year, I don't understand how or why people like to slate him so much.

I'm not claiming he did come in for tactical reasons, you are.

I'm saying baker was picked over bennet because a cb playing out of position was better than bennet.

I don't think he was better at left back than Bennett, left backs need to do more than just defend. No doubt Bennett needs to improve, but he is doing and there's definitely potential with his ability.

Edited by villaguy

I'm not claiming he did come in for tactical reasons, you are.

I'm saying baker was picked over bennet because a cb playing out of position was better than bennet.

But you have no evidence for this point. I'm claiming that PL bought Baker in for Bennett when he needed another big defender at the back. You asked me whether Baker will come in for Luna in those similar games. I need to see what games Baker came in for tactical reasons. Not because Bennett was injured or unfit.

Â