Several People Shot Near Empire State Building

Genie

Story breaking now and news very vague but...

Several people were shot Friday near the Empire State Building, one of New York's most popular tourist attractions, police said.

"There are people who were shot near the Empire State Building," a spokeswoman for the police department said.

There were no more immediate details from officials. Local NY1 television reported that three or four people suffered non-life threatening wounds and a gunman had been killed.

Several blocks around the site of the shooting were closed to vehicles, causing rush hour traffic snarls.

link

*their.

sorry. And frankly they could have 12 of these a week in every state in the country and the laws would'n't be changed. It's just the collatoral you get for living in a country that loves guns, and suffers from an oversaturation of a media induced paranoid fear complex.

Yep crazy season in the US, I expect more people will be hitting the kill switch in the next few months.

You gotta get your 15 minutes of fame, it's the easiest way.

They have by far the most guns per capita in the world so I'm never surprised to see news of a shooting somewhere in the states. They are basically asking for it by virtue of the 2nd amendment.

The first shooting was the manager and happened outside the pub that myself and the other NYVillans will be watching the game tomorrow, staff are saying that the lad shot was a regular. From the reports I've seen so far it looks like many of the others injured were hit by the cops as they unloaded on the gunman.

It's funny in the sense that it's yet another blow to the pro-gun argument, i.e. 'if everyone had guns there'd be no crime'. The police are 'highly trained' yet still managed to hit a load of innocents. They should be had for manslaughter, gross incompetence on their behalf.

They should be had for manslaughter, gross incompetence on their behalf.

I'm usually the first to jump on the back of the police, but if you start imprisoning them for this, who's going to take the job?

Ideally they'd never risk injuring or killing a civilian, but circumstances can mean it's unavoidable. If someone is armed and looks to be taking aim at either the police or another civilian, what's the police officer meant to do? Take the shot and risk killing someone, or sit back, watch, and hope that the gunman is a bad shot? What if they're shooting from pointblank range, or using a knife, so there's next to no chance of the criminal missing, should the police risk taking their shot then?

It's usually a very grey area, but if a police officer is in this sort of situation, and has to make a quick decision to try and save someone's life, I back them all the way.

"has to make a quick decision to try and save someone's life"

....and in the process potentially take more lives? I guess the police officers are meant to not injure civilians, anything otherwise is absolute incompetence and deserves to be punished. Maybe manslaughter is a bit too much but at the very least the victims should be heavily compensated and the officers fired and prosecuted.

But I treat this terrorism fear as he same thing, on a rights issue . We have our rights eroded to protect us from something that kills so few people per year it should be irrelevant. I would rather a tenth of the budget spent to protect us from terrorism be spent on say road safety. Something that kills far more.

So you transcribe this onto an American gun lover. You give up guns then you give up something else then so on and so on. Then say Internet policing that wants to happen. At some stage a line needs to be drawn. We'll end up with chewing gum being illegal.

I hate American gun laws. But I understand that people who use something for ill shouldn't take it away from people who use it properly. In a general sense.

So I don't agree with it, but I understand it.

Â