Richard Dunne

Zatman

We're going into the season without our most experienced centre back because the FAI made a balls of his injury in the Euros. Thanks FAI. We're now looking for a centreback when we should be looking for a striker. Dunne should be on our bench for the Wet Spam game. He'd be a more than capable replacement. He should be putting pressure on the starters but instead he's out for 2 months. Great :?

The FAI in amature approach shocker.... who would have thought it?

Putting aside their seemingly poor treatment of the injury Richard Dunne himself has let us down as well, both he and Shay Given both played for Ireland in the Euro's despite clearly not being fit enough to do so. I fully understand their desire to play for their country especially at this stage of their career but Villa pay their wages and both put their own desire to play for Ireland ahead of both their club and their own personal fitness.

It isn't just the FAI to blame here in my view.

I know you'll never let Dunne off on anything Trent but this was the FAI's fault. They injured him, they didn't prevent him from playing, they didn't treat his injury properly. A player will try to play all the time. Particularly in a finals tournament. It's up to the governing body to treat him responsibly.

The FAI in amature approach shocker.... who would have thought it?

this is a new one because its usually the Ireland team and fans that suffer :P

wont be long for Roy Keane to make a comment

I know you'll never let Dunne off on anything Trent but this was the FAI's fault. They injured him, they didn't prevent him from playing, they didn't treat his injury properly. A player will try to play all the time. Particularly in a finals tournament. It's up to the governing body to treat him responsibly.

I agree in relation to a governing bodies responsibilites.

However a professional footballer also has responsibilities to the club to which he is contracted and who pay his wages. Plenty of players miss games or even tournaments due to injury when they could perhaps limp through a match.

Yes the FAI is culpable or seemingly so but so to an extent is Dunne and so was Given only he appears to have got away with it.

Oh and I don't hold this view because it is Dunne and I don't rate or much like him. I hold this view period.

I was critical of Given in the summer during the Euro's for the same reason and I'd be critical of even my favourite player(s) for doing the same.

We often hold general views on things but are more motivated to comment on certain individuals who go against them :) I'm not ruling out that you have his face on a dartboard in your games room :)

I'm very conscious of the annoying possibility that some actually think that might be true :( I have non-Villa mates who think him a far better defender than I do.

Actually don't mind Dunne, Trent I agree to an extent into what your saying however but on one hand we criticise players who drop out for England friendlies but when a tournament comes around there all fighting fit. To their credit Dunne and Given have never let their country down in friendlies or competitive games, this was possibly their last chance on a big stage so I would not begrudge them of it.

Surely if we start the season with Vlaar - Clark at the back looking solid and keeping clean sheets then it should be Villa compensating the FAI for the good fortune of having Dunne crocked and out of the team?

I'm very conscious of the annoying possibility that some actually think that might be true :( I have non-Villa mates who think him a far better defender than I do.

His performances for Ireland are generally better than what he can do for Villa particularly in the last two years. Even at his peak for Villa under O'Neill he never put in a performance like Moscow last year. He's also scored a good few important goals for Ire IIRC.

As big a bunch of clowns as the FAI are, I would guarantee both Dunne and Given would have kept their mouths firmly shut about the extent of their injuries during the Euros. I'm sure the FAI were happy enough for them to do that, but it would put the blame at the players' door IMHO.

but on one hand we criticise players who drop out for England friendlies but when a tournament comes around there all fighting fit.

That is different though.

There is a difference between pulling out of friendlies with a fake injury to pulling out when you are injured. I am though not really critical of when people do a Giggs as I can understand the reasons why they do.

Surprised no one has pointed out Dunne appeared in two pre-season games - apparently after the FAI inflicted the injury by tying Richard to a chair and beating him round the legs with ball hammers...

Rubbish. FAI couldnt afford ball hammers

Â