Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

Against Wigan you need workers and you need composure, calm heads are required and patience.

we need to be on our toes, but a bit of a swagger too and try and dictate.

They should be the desperate ones and we should frustrate them and the crowd.

Arsenal will need a win for their own purposes against Wigan unlike WBA and QPR yesterday for example. If they lose or even draw it will hurt them and will help their neighbours end the season above them and in the CL in their place. If Wigan win it will not be because Arsenal are not concerned about winning or losing so I for one cannot see them winning twice against the odds so soon. Go Gunners!!

I said a few weeks ago that if we deserve to stay up we will and imo we absolutely do, beaten absolutely everyone around us these past few weeks and even had the mighty newcastle who are apparently bigger than all of us sweating right up until the 37th game..

Problem is the season has slants to it.... the first half and c XMas we was just about fit for the championship.....some of the football of late is top half of the table.

we have just left it too late to find some form, hence the situation we are in.

For us to go down Wigan need to win both games, and Sunderland need to win or draw. Odds of that are 84/1 (2 Wigan wins and Sunderland draw) or 166/1 (2 Wigan wins and Sunderland win). No chance.

Edited by Milfner

That Arsenal-Wigan game is going to be a cracker. Both sides need a win, a draw won't do for either of them. Likely to be very open and attacking. I just wish the result didn't affect us so much, I'd love to be able to just watch it and enjoy it. As it is I'll be chewing my fingernails off.

I still believe we can get all three at the DW on the last day, but just like everyone else I'd rather not have that pressure on us.

Edited by heid3ster

The only way we'll go down is if Arsenal don't manage to get a point at home to Wigan AND Spurs don't beat Sunderland at home. If either of these things happen we are safe. this is all assuming that Wigan will beat us on the last day which is not a forgone conclusion by any means. I'm not sweating it at all. 

The only way we'll go down is if Arsenal don't manage to get a point at home to Wigan AND Spurs don't beat Sunderland at home. If either of these things happen we are safe. this is all assuming that Wigan will beat us on the last day which is not a forgone conclusion by any means. I'm not sweating it at all.

But saying that it's also not a forgone conclusion that those things won't happen

Hi guys,

I moved over to NZ 7 years ago so the Arsenal game will be on Weds 15th here. Thats my birthday and I asked for Wigan to lose or draw so I am confident that Arsenal won't let me down.....

Mate don't ask for a Wigan draw. Even the birthday fairy can **** it up from time to time. Much safer to ask for a 4 goal win to Arsenal, which allows for some margin for error. ;-)

• Like 2

Hi guys,

I moved over to NZ 7 years ago so the Arsenal game will be on Weds 15th here. Thats my birthday and I asked for Wigan to lose or draw so I am confident that Arsenal won't let me down.....

Do you want us to tell you what happens or do you want to wait and see for yourself?

It's on at 6.30 in the morning so I can watch it before work... that will either be a good day at work or I wouldn't want to be the kids in my classes.....

my pregnant wife and i had a bit of an argument today because I have been neglecting her with all this relegation worry... she said the words I never wanted to hear from my wife.....

... its only a game

But saying that it's also not a forgone conclusion that those things won't happen

We will all breathe a sigh of relief when we're safe but we need to keep the risk in perspective. Yes the unthinkable could happen, but the odds are massively in our favour.

I thought about an insurance bet but felt like I would have been throwing £50 down the drain, which sort of sums up what I really feel about our chances

UTV

I know Arsenal badly need to win against Wigan, and probably will, but has anyone considered the following curious fact about that game:

If Arsenal are unable to win, from their point of view it’s probably BETTER FOR THEM TO LOSE THAN TO DRAW.

How come?

IF ARSENAL DRAW, they will be one point behind Spurs going into the last day. To qualify for the Champions League, they must try to win at Newcastle and hope Spurs fail to beat Sunderland. The problem with this is that, BECAUSE ARSENAL HAVE DRAWN, SUNDERLAND WILL BE ALREADY SAFE (barring an almost inconceivable 11-goal swing in goal difference between them and Wigan). So how much hope do Arsenal have that Spurs (chasing Champions League) will fail to beat Sunderland (already safe barring freak results)? Not much. Spurs winning by a goal or two against a team who (at most) just need to avoid losing about 8-0 would seem to be very likely.

IF ARSENAL LOSE, they will be two points behind Spurs, but because of their better goal difference they can still finish above Spurs if they win their last game and Spurs fail to beat Sunderland. However, the big difference is that BECAUSE ARSENAL HAVE LOST, SUNDERLAND WILL BADLY NEED A POINT AT SPURS. A 3-way relegation fight will be on and Sunderland will have to pray for Villa to get a result at Wigan if they lose at Spurs. SPURS WOULD THUS HAVE A MUCH HARDER GAME.

The only way a draw could turn out to be of any use to Arsenal would be if they then drew their last game and Spurs lost at home to Sunderland (who wouldn’t need anything), which seems rather unlikely

So... if Arsenal are drawing with Wigan with seconds to go, and Wigan’s last desperate attack has ended in a free kick to Arsenal on their edge of their own penalty area, what do they do? Do they lump the ball forward with the referee preparing to blow the final whistle and virtually end their hopes, or do they put the ball in their own net to give themselves a bit more hope on the last day (thereby landing Sunderland and Villa in the do-do?).

OK, I know that’s not a very likely scenario... But all the same, if the scores are level going into added time in a game that both teams are desperate to win, the fact that a draw is probably LESS THAN USELESS for Arsenal would make me fear the worst.