Hi Ho Silver Lining

MikeMcKenna

There is no "Silver Lining" folks........

PL is better than he who shall not be named but our squad is still shite!

He needs to buy at least three quality players. If he doesn't we may as well be managed by he who shall not be named!

anyone at the game today could see a massive improvement in the way we moved the ball. the chances and wins will come. 1 competitive game and already moaning...

anyone at the game today could see a massive improvement in the way we moved the ball. the chances and wins will come. 1 competitive game and already moaning...

I am not "moaning"

I am simply stating the obvious - we do not have enough quality players.

VT in a negative overreaction? No, couldn't be...

Says the guy who has been an example of positivity

I've been one of the most optimistic posters on here about this season and Lambert.

As you were for "he who shall not be named" - Good lad!

I am not "moaning"

Why bother creating a new thread though? Every Villa fan and his dog knows we don't have enough quality.

I am not "moaning"

Why bother creating a new thread though? Every Villa fan and his dog knows we don't have enough quality.

Because it needs saying!

FFS it's a "message board" via which fans can express an opinion.

Just because AM has gone doesn't mean we have to keep stum!

I rate PL but he hasn't added enough quality!

Lets put things into perspective here.

1-First game of a new season

2-high temperature

3-New style of play

4- Players that have never played in the PL before

5- the goal was offside

When you take all that into consideration I would say we are on the right track.Dont forget on the opening day last season Bolton beat QPR 3-0 but look at where Bolton are now and where QPR are.We do need a few more players and we need to get rid of a couple as well ( especially NZogbia ) but all in all I would say things are looking up.

The overall sentiment of Mikes opening post is pretty much spot on.

Lambert for me has the potential to be a great manager for us but he isn't going to do that without decent backing.

Regardless of yesterdays result only a fool would suggest that the squad currently will not do any better than finishing around 12th - 16th. That simply isn't good enough for this great club especially when you throw into the mix that we have also spent around 90% of the past two seasons in the bottom third of the table and had two relegation battles.

Randy/Faulkner put one part of our problems right by finally appointing a very good manager. The other major reason we have found ourselves going backwards rapidly over the last two seasons has been due to selling our players and either not replacing them or replacing them with inferior quality. To put that right will take decent investment and we are yet to see that.

It is possible to see a major change in fortunes for a club over a season. We have done it quite recently in 1996 when we went from being almost relegated in 1995 to finishing 4th, winning the league cup and getting to the semi final of the FA Cup. There are other examples at this club and others. Normally though along with a change in manager it takes a good level of investment in players and we are yet to see anything like that.