Italy v England Freindly

andykeenan

Seems like the most pointless date for a friendly ever. The week between the Olympics and the new season? Yeah, everybody will be completely focused on watching Italy vs England reserves play each other.

Why are the playing this in Switzerland?

It should be played in England or Italy.

EDIT: Just realised he hasn't picked Bent :|

And Livermore? Seriously Roy?

I would imagine there is an issue with policing in England at the moment. The police are kinda busy with the Olympics and Paralympics and the existing domestic football calendar which kinda confirms what we all already knew, this is one fixture too many. It's technically an England home game (or so I understand) so they might not want to have played in Italy. Italy played their last "home" game in Switzerland too, the final Euro 2012 warm up vs Russia was played in Zurich.

The England game will be played in Bern. Technically neutral, not actually that far from both Milan and Turin either. It's a lot closer to Milan and Turin than Rome is if we are talking distances and the majority of the population of Italy lives along that belt in the north of the country which includes Milan and Turin rather than on the boot shaped peninsula which makes up most of Italy on a map. I think only Rome and Naples which are significant centres of population in the south, so the game isnt as far from the Italian people as you first might think.

That said, its **** daft that the fixture is being played there. It's daft that its being played at all.

England squad v Italy friendly

Goalkeepers Jack Butland (Birmingham City), Joe Hart (Manchester City), John Ruddy (Norwich City).” Defenders: Baines (Everton), Bertrand (Chelsea), Cahill (Chelsea), Caulker (Tottenham ), Jagielka (Everton), Walker (Tottenham) Midfielders: Carrick (Man Utd), Cleverley (Man Utd), Lampard (Chelsea), Johnson (Man City), Livermore (Tottenham).” Milner (Man City), Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Rodwell (Everton), Young (Man Utd).” Forwards: Carroll (Liverpool), Defoe (Tottenham), Sturridge (Chelsea), Walcott (Arsenal).”

Butland will be making his debut.. I'm not saying this beacause he plays for them, but what a farce! How can you pick a player who's only ever played 12 league games to make his national debut aged 19?

You do it in a friendly that nobody gives a **** about. There will be no pressure on any of the players in this game, for either side. It's actually a good game to give Butland a shot in, as he has been very impressive in other levels of international competition.

12 League games in League 2 warrants an international call up?

Remember the days when quality like Chris Woods and Nigel Martyn couldn't get a game.. what has happened to the GK department?

Â