General Krulak (No Transfer Questions allowed)

c-krulak

Hi General,

I was driving back from IKEA tonight on the M6 and in the distance could see the flood lights of St Andrews. As you can imagine the site of that coupled with spending too much money on swedish furniture made me feel quite unwell. Now picture this scenario, I am driving back and I don't feel the pain of spending all that money because i see the home of football lit up in Claret and Blue lights for all of birmingham to see. What is the reality of this happening? I was picturing lights like they use on the outside of The Mailbox in the city centre but instead of columns of red lights, columns of claret and blue. I think we need to advertise our great stadium to the passing motorists more than we are at present.

Cheers

Matt

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi General,

I am a soldier serving in the British Army,

I am currently based down in Southampton and try to get to as many home games as feasibly possible (in between 3 month tours to Iraq and Afghanistan!!) ,despite it being a 340 mile round trip from Southampton to Birmingham and back

I would firstly like to thank you for revising the prices for tickets for us lads (and lasses) in the Armed Forces..

Secondly, and it is a big ask, a lot of companies offer Her Majesty's Forces 10% (or more) discount on merchandise in shops and online (only when producing an Armed Services Identification Card). Do Nike offer any discount for the Forces in the UK?, as I know they do a lot in the way of discount for American soldiers in the states..

Thanks for all the answers so far, hope you can find time to answer my question,

Kind regards,

Jay

Hello General,

This is my first post. Can I thank you and Randy for everything you have done so far at the Villa - you guys truly are a breath of fresh air!

I have been especially pleased with the corporate branding that you are slowly creating at the club. I can at last see claret paint and claret signage - just wondered what your thinking was behind the new shirt being a shade of maroon?

Best Wishes

Colin Withers

General Krulak here:

1. I have answered the question re. Villa Kit on multiple threads. Bottom Line: We cut deal with Nike late. We had to get out of Hummel deal. We knew we were going to be last in queue for gettting kits but felt it was the right thing to do...to get a quality kit. We knew we would lose money because kit would be late coming but did it because we wanted a quality kit. Stock is now coming in...we have NOT even received all stock for the Villa Park store let alone the Center City store of outlets in other areas in UK. WE KNEW this was going to happen but felt it was worth it to give the fans a quality shirt. Al stores will eventually be fully stocked....Nike does NOT want our kit to not be world-wide. They are marketers and want us all over the place. It will just take some time.

2. Changing room....I will ask the question.

3, Newcastle Chairman-owned stores. I can only say that the Villa Chairman does not own any stores so is not in the position to put our kit in "his" stores and cut prices. This is a strange question since we can't run around trying to copy the actions of various Chairman of various Clubs.

4. Free Printing. I answered this one before.

5. Mark Delaney....good idea...we need to do something to say "thank you."

6. Away Fans. I understand you think it is "easy" but there are unintended consequences of just throwing people out of the stadium. As I mentioned in my last post, we WILL solve this!! I went to some length in my post to indicate that we are working with security, police, catering, stewards, etc. to fix this issue. We KNOW it exists.

7. We are in negotiations with City and other folks re. lighting up stadium...at least the name.

8. 10% discount for servicemen and women is for tickets....we have not looked at doing this for store. Probably will not do so at this time.

6. Away Fans. I understand you think it is "easy" but there are unintended consequences of just throwing people out of the stadium. As I mentioned in my last post, we WILL solve this!! I went to some length in my post to indicate that we are working with security, police, catering, stewards, etc. to fix this issue. We KNOW it exists..

I don't mean to badger you, and I'm sure you are doing your best to sort this out, General, but could you give us an idea of what these "unintended consequences" are?

6. Away Fans. I understand you think it is "easy" but there are unintended consequences of just throwing people out of the stadium. As I mentioned in my last post, we WILL solve this!! I went to some length in my post to indicate that we are working with security, police, catering, stewards, etc. to fix this issue. We KNOW it exists..

I don't mean to badger you, and I'm sure you are doing your best to sort this out, General, but could you give us an idea of what these "unintended consequences" are?

I'd back this up, what is so difficult about refusing entry to away fans who have away tops on, as was the case on saturday, and what are the unintended consequences you speak of?

Thanks for taking time with this sometime negative column. It's great that we get feedback from you guys.

Just to say on this point:

3, Newcastle Chairman-owned stores. I can only say that the Villa Chairman does not own any stores so is not in the position to put our kit in "his" stores and cut prices. This is a strange question since we can't run around trying to copy the actions of various Chairman of various Clubs.

The Villa Chariman does own his own stores (forgive me if I'm wrong), at Villa Park and in the City Centre. These other shops are selling shirts for £10 less than Villa do. This leads to many sensible fans getting their shirts elsewhere than Villa. I think the point is that if Villa charged the same we make all the profit whereas now the other shops do.

General - really impressed with your effort and enthusiasm by conversing with us fans and helping with our queries. The question I have, isn't exactly about transfers - but sort of is. Basically, we signed Scott Carson on a loan deal and I would like to know if we have either - A) a future fee agreed or - B) first option on the player - or anything like that? If you could find out from MON or whoever and keep us informed, that would be fantastic, thanks!

I don't mean to answer for General, but I am sure as he has said he has nothing to do with players, deals etc. I really doubt that he is going to ask mon what he is doing with SC and even if he did do you think that he would or could post about SC future here? What we know from OS and MON is all we are supposed to know at this time.

I would say;

How can we have a future deal agreed when the lad has not played a game yet, what if he does not do well, would you like the club to be tied into a 9m deal, does not make any sence. First rights to player, the club with the highest offer will win if the player wants to play for them.

Hope you don't take this post as rude or condescending as it’s not meant to be.

I'd back this up, what is so difficult about refusing entry to away fans who have away tops on, as was the case on saturday, and what are the unintended consequences you speak of?

Again General i would also like to know what the "unintended consequences" would be...? Rules are rules and as it states seating areas for home fans only how on earth are away fans wearing away shirts let into home areas and once spotted being allowed to remain in the home area if they remove/cover or turn insideout their shirts...?

Hi General

With the new website dawning ever closer i wondered if there could be the possibility of an online villa chat room for Villa fans to chat online to chat to each other, it would be a great tool to use and would help greatly in the fight against boredom at work would probably need a full time moderator though due to Blues fans invading

General Krulak here:

1. As you might imagine, I am not going to answer the question re. Scott Carson. It would not be appropriate for me to post on a web site the kind of information you have asked. And, obviously, I do not know the answers anyhow. That is something for MON to handle.

2. Prices at Villa Park shop are established by Richard Fitzgerald. It might be worthwhile sending Richard a letter and asking for his rationale behind the pricing. He is a good man and would be more than willing to answer the question. You could then take his answer and post it. I will get the answer too but thought it might be worthwhile for a fan to raise the issue with CEO to get his perspective.

3. As I have indicated on this thread several times, we are aware of the Away fan issue and the security issues that stem from Away fan actions. I have indicated we are working on this problem...and will come up with a good solution. It will be a solution that is recognized by all Clubs in the FA and not be something that just applies to Villa Park. We will do a much more effective job if we don't come riding out like the Lone Ranger.

General,

Apologies if this question has been asked before.

Are there any plans in the future to have our matches televised via the internet for fans living abroad? I have been a subscriber to Villa World since it's inception, but I'm sure you can relate to the fact that just being able to listen as opposed to being able to watch are two completely different things. (Have been living in the United States for the past 7 years)

From my own point of view cost is not really my primary concern, I just want to be able to see my team play.

My wife and I took a trip to Columbus for the pre-season friendly, it was awesome seeing you at the game, getting into it with the fans.

3. As I have indicated on this thread several times, we are aware of the Away fan issue and the security issues that stem from Away fan actions. I have indicated we are working on this problem...and will come up with a good solution. It will be a solution that is recognized by all Clubs in the FA and not be something that just applies to Villa Park. We will do a much more effective job if we don't come riding out like the Lone Ranger.

Again, General, I am really sorry to push on this point, but you have made the above point before, but still haven't expanded on what the unintended consequences of ejection are.

Could you tell us a little about why it is necessary to involve the FA and other clubs, for example, to stop away supporters (some wearing away shirts!) walking into home parts of Villa Park?

Several people have commented here and on other sites about the tense, confrontational atmosphere that this creates, and the worry that people have taking their kids into this kind of atmosphere.

Let me put this in the form of a simple question .... We play Manchester United at home on October 20th.

1. At that game, will stewards allow entry to home areas for people who are clearly away supporters?

2. Will their be a consistent, joined-up policy issued to all stewards re what to do if they become aware of away supporters where they shouldn't be?

Yes / No answers to both the above would be much appreciated

Before I start perhaps I should establish my credentials, I've been supporting the Villa since I attended my first game at the age of 6, 32 years ago. My father is also a Villa supporter, and the first date he had with my mother was at Villa Park standing in the Holte End. His father before him was also Villa supporter, and it is entirely possible (due to the long family connections with Birmingham) that his father was also a Villa supporter but unfortunately I never had the opportunity to ask him before he died.

I have come here today to express my current opinions and do not expect an answer or response, but I do hope that you will take the time to read my comments.

Firstly I would like to comment on the press releases that have been coming out of Villa Park for the duration of this summer. These messages regarding signings, especially before season tickets went on sale have I feel been over optimistic, misguided and naive at best, demonstrating a fundamental misunderstanding of the game. This has now led to the situation where our manager is under a great deal of pressure from the less perceptive fans all stoked up by the media who feed off this kind of discontent. I do hope that he is not to be "hung out to dry" for the failings of the club, as far as I am concerned you are completely responsible for the current position we find ourselves in.

Martin is a great man and manager, and deserves the utmost of respect. You may have read what he has done in the game but I (and many fans) have lived through it; his days with Clough and Forrest, to his remarkable achievements at Leicester and his single handed rejuvenation of Celtic. I have been waiting since 1982 for a manager of his quality to take charge at Villa and help us regain some dignity within English football. I will not be impressed if he is driven out of the club by incompetence in the running of the club in regards to the management of expectations of the fans or handling of the media.

The majority of Villa fans are sensible intelligent people and we can take bad news, so please just stop the constant spinning and sound-bites that come out of the club. To be honest at the current time I don't believe a single word that comes out of VP at the moment, and I'm losing faith in you, your team (NOT THE PLAYERS OR MON!) and Mr Lerner.

JP

Before I start perhaps I should establish my credentials, I've been supporting the Villa since I attended my first game at the age of 6, 32 years ago. My father is also a Villa supporter, and the first date he had with my mother was at Villa Park standing in the Holte End. His father before him was also Villa supporter, and it is entirely possible (due to the long family connections with Birmingham) that his father was also a Villa supporter but unfortunately I never had the opportunity to ask him before he died.

I have come here today to express my current opinions and do not expect an answer or response, but I do hope that you will take the time to read my comments.

Firstly I would like to comment on the press releases that have been coming out of Villa Park for the duration of this summer. These messages regarding signings, especially before season tickets went on sale have I feel been over optimistic, misguided and naive at best, demonstrating a fundamental misunderstanding of the game. This has now led to the situation where our manager is under a great deal of pressure from the less perceptive fans all stoked up by the media who feed off this kind of discontent. I do hope that he is not to be "hung out to dry" for the failings of the club, as far as I am concerned you are completely responsible for the current position we find ourselves in.

Martin is a great man and manager, and deserves the utmost of respect. You may have read what he has done in the game but I (and many fans) have lived through it; his days with Clough and Forrest, to his remarkable achievements at Leicester and his single handed rejuvenation of Celtic. I have been waiting since 1982 for a manager of his quality to take charge at Villa and help us regain some dignity within English football. I will not be impressed if he is driven out of the club by incompetence in the running of the club in regards to the management of expectations of the fans or handling of the media.

The majority of Villa fans are sensible intelligent people and we can take bad news, so please just stop the constant spinning and sound-bites that come out of the club. To be honest at the current time I don't believe a single word that comes out of VP at the moment, and I'm losing faith in you, your team (NOT THE PLAYERS OR MON!) and Mr Lerner.

JP

Cant agree, simply due to the amount of people who were complaining about the lack of info from Villa Park when they were silent. The club are in an impossible situation, you may take bad news well and so on but there are others who wont. Very much a case of you cant keep all the people happy all the time.

In addition this window isnt over yet and the club may not have bad news to give, it might still be good. In fact O'Neill has indicated several times that he is playing right up until the transfer deadline and attempting to use it as a tool to lower prices. The club have said transfers are in the main his department.

The only thing that will pacify all of the fans is signings. In their absence the club cannot win as they will upset someone whether they stay silent or in whatever they say.

Lets just hope that O'neill, who i agree with you wholeheartedly about, will still come up with the goods and maybe re-visit this subject on 1st September.

Apologies for hijacking the thread on this issue but i felt the defence of the club was necessary.

General - If you have time or inclination to read it, several posters have further defended the clubs actions here

Load of tosh Corscombe_Villa. Frustration is high due to lack of signings. The buck appears to stop ith MON on this. End of story.

Agreed (and apologies as I know this isn't the thread for it...but it's something which needs response imo). How the board and even right down to Randy can be blamed is naive at best. Is it the fault of Randy that MON has been (thus far) reluctant to spend the money? It's worth pointing out that there is time left in this window so I don't actually follow that train of thought at all. As they say, patience is a virtue and I suspect we'll all be better for it come Sept 1st. I recommend you read this thread.

General,

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned previously but there was another problem at last weeks game, smoking in the toilets.

I took my son into a toilet in the Holte upper about 5 mins before half time and it was full of smokers. As I'm sure you can imagine, the smoke in there was dense and disgusting, a lot worse than last year on the concourses.

Are you (the club) aware of this problem? What action are you taking to prevent the law being broken in the future?