Can someone recommend me a WWII FPS type shooter?

Juju

As above -

Seem to not be as many about as modern combat - prefer the feel of WWII (Or indeed WWI).

Seems My choices seem to be

Call of Duty Series, (I, II and United offensive in a "Steam Warchest Combo),

Call of Duty World at War

Iron Front - (Supposed to be buggy)

Red Orchestra I&II Bundle (II supposed to be buggy too).

Anything I've missed - whats the best? The last time I played one of these was Medal ofHonour on a PS1! - And don't worry bout the specs, my pc should run just about anything ok.....

Suggestions please....

Alternatively, if the modern ones are *much* better, what would I go for?

Battlefield 1942 was always a great WW2 shooter.

Not sure how many people still play it though, so you might find multiplayer a little on the empty side.

Call of Duty 1 and 2 were great games at their time of release. However, that was a while ago. I recently played through 1 (on the 360 admittedly) and it really was feeling old. 2 should stand up better and was a really great game at release.

World at War is a more modern title, and feels it, it's not the best COD game but it's not terrible. It shows off the Eastern front and the war in the Pacific, can get annoyingly hard at the end.

Red Orchestra franchise has a huge fanbase (and is predominately a multiplayer game), can be difficult as it's more 'simulation' like than many games and has some strategy/tactical elements.

If you liked Medal of Honor on the PS1 the latest WW2 game they did is Airbourne I think, which is considered 'alright' IIRC.

Battlefield's 194_ games are great if you really want multiplayer hijinks and don't mind a fair amount of vehicle play. Getting on now as well unfortunately, particularly the original.

In my experience the COD games are probably the best if you did like Medal of Honor, initially the series was made by guys who had worked on Medal of Honor and started their own studio to make better WW2 games. As said though, the original 2 are showing their age, good as they are/were.

The modern shooters are often good, they have a different atmosphere to the WW2 set games though. Best thing I could suggest if you fancy a bit of an idea of what, say, the COD modern series is like, is to give World at War a try. It comes from the era just when COD went Modern Warfare esque and has pretty similar gameplay.

If you do take to it and fancy trying the modern stuff, COD4: Modern Warfare is a great game, as is it's sequel. Black Ops serves as a sort of sequel to World at War and features MW2's gameplay with a Cold War setting, Vietnam etc etc, but it's plot is bobbins.

I agree with Designer1, Battlefield 1942 is brilliant if you can play PC shooters (I struggle) and there is so much to add on if you do enjoy it.

On PS3, Battlefield 1943 is my favourite shooter, it's simple yet so much fun. I enjoyed it more than Battlefield Bad Company 2 (Haven't played BF3 yet)

As above -

Seem to not be as many about as modern combat - prefer the feel of WWII (Or indeed WWI).

Does anyone know any WWI games?, would love to try one

The newish Sniper Elite V2 is very good. You play an allied WWII sniper working your way through a variety of missions. The best thing about it is the x-ray kill cam.

The last WW2 game I can even remember is CoD WaW, before that I remember Medal of Honour: Frontline sticking out as a really solid game, had a cool D-day opening mission too, it's about 10 years old now though. I'm not sure you've got much to pick from. I would kind of like a decent game to go back to that setting actually.

For something different you could try any of the following.

For flying in dogfights ( not flight sims )

Attack on Pearl Harbour

Heroes Over Europe

Heroes Of the Pacific

Blazing Angels 1 or 2

For flying planes or controlling ships etc

Battlestations Midway

Battlestations Pacific

For commanding a tank....

T72 Balkans on Fire

For flying a helicopter ....

DCS Blackshark

Blackhawk Down