General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

We could concievably have caught Spurs, but developing Walker for them has put them well above us.

We're a long long way away from Spurs, even when we loaned Walker from them.

It's a strange point you make there. :?

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lukaku did an interview for SSN where he basically said he either wanted to play for Chelsea or score goals elsewhere and go back to Chelsea for next season. I'd love to think that we could get him with a purchase option but let's be honest, Chelsea would be mad to include that, he is only a kid who has had no opportunities.

Are there better options out there that we could afford? Possibly, but only by taking a risk and bringing in a foreigner who may or may not perform. Assuming that Gab and Bent are staying put along with Weimann and Delfouneso a loan signing doesn't sound like such a bad option.

Bit concerned by the lack of proven quality signings

I think PL has been told to work with what he's got which is a worry

No, he's just working on a sell before you buy type deal. Which is basic common sense when trying to lower the wage bill. Untill we remove players from the wage bill, we can't put any more on.

Bit concerned by the lack of proven quality signings

I think PL has been told to work with what he's got which is a worry

How exactly do you define "proven quality"? Because I get the impression that to you if you haven't heard of them they're not "proven quality".

I think KEA would definitely fall into the category of proven quality, as would Vlaar (although we haven't signed him yet).

By that I mean proven PL quality

KEA looked good against Burton etc but the step up to PL ? Let's see

Same with Lowton, league 1 to PL is a giant leap

You don't necessarily have to buy Premier League players to get proven quality. Look at Newcastle.

Signing "proven PL quality" is what got us into a mess in the first place. More often that not, they were **** shite and very very expensive.

I'm delighted we're looking for quality and value.

By that I mean proven PL quality

KEA looked good against Burton etc but the step up to PL ? Let's see

Same with Lowton, league 1 to PL is a giant leap

Proven is going to cost loads of money in transfer fees and wages. I would rather take the jump and sign someone from a "lower" league and end up with a right gem. When Robin van Persie signed for Arsenal from Feyenoord for ?£3m? did people think he was proven? did people even think he would be that good?

This season is still going to be one of consolidation after our horrific last. If a loan signing can provide the quality to put us higher in the league and a in better position for attracting players next season, so be it. It's not perfect, but we're not currently in a position to demand perfect.

We could concievably have caught Spurs, but developing Walker for them has put them well above us.

We're a long long way away from Spurs, even when we loaned Walker from them.

It's a strange point you make there. :?

I would have said Spurs were a long way from us not too long ago. It doesn't take much for things to change in football. There won't be much separating us and Spurs next season in my opinion.

Mantis you are bang on there, to suggest we have to buy within the premier league to bring in quality is unbelievable. How you can even suggest that CI, after some of the people you would want to bring in ( Murphy ).

For a few years now we have all wanted us to dip into the foreign market to expand the amount of players who could come to us and improve us, now suggesting we need to buy proven PL players? So basically have a similar transfer strategy to what we have had over the years. There are hundreds and hundreds of fantastic players all over the world who we could look to bring in. Just because you dont know of them doesnt mean they dont have the quality to succeed in the PL

Signing "proven PL quality" is what got us into a mess in the first place. More often that not, they were **** shite and very very expensive.

It also got us up to 6th and to cup finals / semis & Europe

What got us into a mess was mediocre signings ie. Curtis Davies £10m, Shorey £5m, Sidwell £5m not to mention Warnock Heskey Harewood etc

It also got us up to 6th and to cup finals / semis & Europe

What got us into a mess was mediocre signings ie. Curtis Davies £10m, Shorey £5m, Sidwell £5m not to mention Warnock Heskey Harewood etc

Yeah, and imagine what we could've achieved had we looked abroad from time to time instead of focusing solely on the Premier League.

If we have to wait until one of Collins, warnock or Hutton leaves, before signing another player, then we won't be signing anyone.

not only are those 3 not very good, but no-one's gonna be crazy enough to offer them similar wages to what they're on now, I can see at least 2 of them just idling away the last years of there contracts on stupid money!

Very much this, we've managed to add 3 players to the squad for what probably equates too the same Heskey was on a week here, one with champs league experience one very promising youngster and one player that looks like he could may well be the sort of player we've been crying out for years.