Euro 2012: Quarter finals

The_Rev

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was the only England player who came out with any credit in the England game against Germany and crossed for Upsons goal. Secondly you can only play well against who you are up against. USA and Ukraine were not bad sides.

Agree that Lampard (or possibly Rooney) was Englands best player in 2004 but Lampard was very poor in 2006 and 2010.

Except for the fact that Lampard went one better than Gerrard and actually scored in the Germany game.

He was the only England player who came out with any credit in the England game against Germany and crossed for Upsons goal. Secondly you can only play well against who you are up against. USA and Ukraine were not bad sides.

Agree that Lampard (or possibly Rooney) was Englands best player in 2004 but Lampard was very poor in 2006 and 2010.

Except for the fact that Lampard went one better than Gerrard and actually scored in the Germany game.

But it didnt count, so he didnt score. Just like Devich did not score last tuesday.

Lampard had a poor world cup, that one single moment does not disguise that. Yes the goal should of stood, but his overall play was not as good as Gerrard, or as good as his performances for chelsea. 2006 he was even worse.

When it comes to Lampard or Gerrard and who has performed better in the big international tournaments, for me it is no contest, Gerrard easily.

I think Lampard, along with Gerrard, was one of the few English players in 2010 to do themselves any justice. Across a longer span, on the international stage they have both failed to live up to the hype and there is not much separating their England performances.

Yeh I agree their overall England performances there is not much difference, but if you read my posts you will see I was talking about the big tournaments, i.e. the Euros and the world cup. I think Lampard being injured has been a blessing. I think there is a better balance in the middle with Gerrard Parker etc.

Oh and Milan Baros retired from international football after the game. Still think he can play but he can't play as the lone striker. He needs someone up top with him. He can't do it all at this point in his career.

really? He showed no ambition or character in any of the 4 czech games, he was a passenger you could have done without surely Pekhart couldnt have done worse. think in last 2 games Baros had about 8 touches combined

His team-mates tolerate all that kind of stuff including his tantrums on the pitch because, basically, they know he wins them games. Oh and his ego can't be measured :)

At one time I'd have agreed Trent, but this Portuguese side are far from a one man team. Of course Ronny is the standout player - as he would be in any side on the planet excluding Argentina. But that midfield of Moutinho, Veloso & Meireles is very effective and the defence of Pepe, Coentrao, Alves & Pereira have a steel about them.

They're certainly not the lightweight crap I'm used to seeing from a Portuguese side. The one area they lack is up front. They don't have a prolific out & out striker, which makes it quite convenient that they have a 60+ goal genius playing the free role in and around him :)

No they aren't lightweight crap but then I don't think they've been that for a number of years in all fairness but they are a one man team.

I say that because take Ronaldo out of that line up and would they really be in the semi final of the Euro's? They would simply struggle to win games, any games without him because he is their entire attacking threat.

One man team might be a touch strong but without him I doubt they would have got out of their group, in fact they might have struggled to qualify at all.

On the subject of Portugal they now deserve to be regarded as one of the top footballing nations of Europe. This century they have made 3 semi finals (2000, 2006 and 2012) as well as 1 final (2004). They have also produced 2 ball'on dor winners as well as many other top players. Before 2000 they rarely qualified for tournaments.

The only thing the Germans have on Greece is the Economy

Birds, food, football, weather, more birds it Ellas all the way!!!

Come on my greek soliders!!!

Quite a huge thing though isnt it, the economy. Agree about the women and weather though. No contest.

Â