RIP Donna Summer

bickster

The multi-Grammy award-winning singer died in Florida after a battle with cancer.

A statement issued on behalf of her family paid tribute to the singer as "a woman of many gifts".

It read: "Early this morning, we lost Donna Summer Sudano, a woman of many gifts, the greatest being her faith.

"While we grieve her passing, we are at peace celebrating her extraordinary life and her continued legacy.

"Words truly can't express how much we appreciate your prayers and love for our family at this sensitive time."

The grandmother of four had numerous hits in both the 1970s and 1980s, including "Last Dance", "She Works Hard for the Money" and "Bad Girls”.

The singer and her producer Giorgio Moroder are credited with defining the disco era.

A spokesman for the Hot stuff singer was confirmed that she had died on Thursday morning, which was first reported by TMZ.com, the celebrity website.

The website reported that the singer had tried to keep her illness out of the public eye.

She believed she contracted the illness by inhaling toxic particles following the 9/11 terrorist attacks in New York.

Summer, who was born Donna Gaines in Boston, US, learned to sing in church before fronting a series of bands and appearing in musicals.

Working as a session singer brought her into contact with producers Moroder and Pete Bellotte and together they established her as one of the biggest acts of the 1970s.

The extended 16-minute version of Love To Love You Baby was a huge hit in the clubs, but was banned from several radio stations because of her suggestive vocal style.

The singer, who won five Grammy Awards six American Music Awards, charted three multi-platinum albums.

An album released in 2008, an impeccably up-to-the-minute pop-dance CD called Crayons, featured contributions from songwriters who have penned hits for Lily Allen, Natasha Bedingfield and Shakira.

In America the thumping single from the album, I'm a Fire, gave Summer a number one in the dance charts, making her the first artist to reach the slot in the Seventies, Eighties, Nineties and Noughties.

“Why would I do a record that doesn't work [in the contemporary market]?” Summer told the Daily Telegraph in an interview in 2008.

“I'd be just stroking myself.”

She is understood to have been finalising her latest album.

She was also an accomplished visual artist whose work was shown at exhibitions throughout the world.

She is survived by her husband, singer and producer Bruce Sudano, their daughters, Brooklyn and Amanda, her daughter, Mimi, from a previous marriage and four grandchildren.

clicky

Purveyor of disco filth to the 1970s.

Not really my sort of thing, but I did buy the 'Bad Girls' album (mainly for the Skunk Baxter guitar solo on 'Hot Stuff').

I loved I Feel Love..

Quincy Jones.... Donna Summer.....

Lazy hot weather........Ah them was the days!

except it was Georgio Moroder and Pete Bellotte, not Quincy Jones

Brian Eno whilst recording with Bowie on the Berlin Trilogy got so excited when he heard it, said that IFL was going to change the face of Club music for 15 years... if anything, he underestimated he length of time that impact would last

Purveyor of disco filth to the 1970s.

Not really my sort of thing, but I did buy the 'Bad Girls' album (mainly for the Skunk Baxter guitar solo on 'Hot Stuff').

Blimey ! I think 'disco filth' is a bit strong ! It was great to play and usually got the audience up on the floor. also required a definite musical 'technique'. 'On The Radio' was my favourite. RIP

Didn't know Jeff Skunk Baxter (of Steely Dan) played that solo.

Really sad news. Growing up in Boston in the 70's, there was extra excitement about her because she was from here. She was just a huge figure in pop music for that brief late 70's era. I can't say I was a true fan, cuz rock music was my thing, but she was respected by even the hardest rock fan, because she was a natural talent with a kick ass voice. She was a real class act, and she'll be missed. R.I.P.

except it was Georgio Moroder and Pete Bellotte, not Quincy Jones

I didn't mean that I feel Love WAS anything to do with Quincy Jones at all.

I was passing comment that I loved his music as well as Donna Summers.. of the same era

If I hear "I feel love"................ I also remember "Stuff like that"

I know what I mean anyhow Bicks if no one else does.

I vaguely remember I liked Steely Dan....and Earth Wind & Fire too - Went to see them live.

Complete paradox to Disco... I also am reminded of my absolute favourites of 10CC & Pink Floyd when I think of Donna Summer music.

Just remember the 70s early 80s as hot summers, disco & going to secondary school.

I was DJin the other week and dropped 'I Feel Love' in for my last track, the room went nuts, still sounds as good now as it did when I first heard it all those years ago.

RIP Disco Queen, very sad news :(

Just remember the 70s early 80s as hot summers, disco & going to secondary school.
I remember the early 80s as Margaret Thatcher, crap music and getting married.

I remember the early 80s as Margaret Thatcher, crap music and getting married.

I got married in the 80s too and yes I remember Margaret Thatcher and the awful look after No 1 culture of short term greed she

embodied...

Welcome to Broken Britain!

Â