All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

I quite liked the interviewer's 'belief' that she gets whatever she prays for from God.

If only all those poor souls living a starved life across africa knew of this simple tactic.

but their hearts aren't pure enough.

Mine just pumps blood.

I quite liked the interviewer's 'belief' that she gets whatever she prays for from God.

If only all those poor souls living a starved life across africa knew of this simple tactic.

Mine just pumps blood.

I don't know if you've ever watched much late night american aspirational / prosperity christian TV (I suspect the answer is 'not that much')? The views on there are really quite amazing, sermons and presentations telling you that all you have to do is believe in the absolute power of God to bring you prosperity, send $20 and touch the screen and a better wealthier life will be yours.

All you've got to do is really believe. Not send the money and hope, that won't change anything. but send the money and truly believe. The test is, if you really believed you'll get rich. If you don't get rich, it's your own fault.

It's fascinating stuff. 

Then there's the end of days stuff, I love it. Essentially it's power point presentations explaining that the USA is actually the devil and either Israel of the UK is the little devil. Their military adventures in the middle east are a proven pre cursor to the end of days. As such, all good christian americans should support the escalation of all wars and conflicts because the more the US Army gets involved, the closer we are to end of days.

Then an auditorium of middle aged americans claps and whoops.

Then I get an e-mail from the local Methodists about the foodbank rota, about handing over some property to the local community and asking people that are members and non-members to vote on what to do with some money that's been raised and it's really quite an extraordinary contrast.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mine just pumps blood.

I don't know if you've ever watched much late night american aspirational / prosperity christian TV (I suspect the answer is 'not that much')? The views on there are really quite amazing, sermons and presentations telling you that all you have to do is believe in the absolute power of God to bring you prosperity, send $20 and touch the screen and a better wealthier life will be yours.

All you've got to do is really believe. Not send the money and hope, that won't change anything. but send the money and truly believe. The test is, if you really believed you'll get rich. If you don't get rich, it's your own fault.

It's fascinating stuff. 

Then there's the end of days stuff, I love it. Essentially it's power point presentations explaining that the USA is actually the devil and either Israel of the UK is the little devil. Their military adventures in the middle east are a proven pre cursor to the end of days. As such, all good christian americans should support the escalation of all wars and conflicts because the more the US Army gets involved, the closer we are to end of days.

Then an auditorium of middle aged americans claps and whoops.

Then I get an e-mail from the local Methodists about the foodbank rota, about handing over some property to the local community and asking people that are members and non-members to vote on what to do with some money that's been raised and it's really quite an extraordinary contrast.

You should go to Singapore and listen to some of the sermons our massive megachurches spew out week after week, lovely stuff.

• 3 months later...

I full expect a "re-imagination" of this from the cardinals in the next few days. They will completely negate this or interpret it as "it's all natural law but God created nature, duh". They may even make up something new like "limbo" just so they can wait a few hundred years and then say that's not real either.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Â