All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

Hm, on principle I agree and find the methods behind halal/kosher very distasteful, but then again we slaughter animals en mass. You could argue that at least we do it 'humanely' and it is out of necessity rather than religious reasons, but in my opinion we have very little ground to stand on when we go to criticise other practices of killing animals. Not that I'm vegan or anything, I'm as complicit in industrialised slaughter as the next bloke, just pointing out the slight hypocrisy which raises alarm bells, especially in a Europe that is increasingly anti-Islam.

Hm, on principle I agree and find the methods behind halal/kosher very distasteful, but then again we slaughter animals en mass. You could argue that at least we do it 'humanely' and it is out of necessity rather than religious reasons, but in my opinion we have very little ground to stand on when we go to criticise other practices of killing animals. Not that I'm vegan or anything, I'm as complicit in industrialised slaughter as the next bloke, just pointing out the slight hypocrisy which raises alarm bells, especially in a Europe that is increasingly anti-Islam.

As they are not required to label cruelly killed animal meat, you probably have some in the fridge. I'm with the Danes that is should not be allowed, but while we privilege sky fairy believers in this, I at least want it clearly labelled so that it can be rejected.

I buy most of my meat from the local butcher and this is part of the reason why.

I can't see that there is any hypocrisy.  Yes, animals are killed in non-halal abbatoirs for food, but that's entirely different from inflicting completely unnecessary suffering on them for two minutes before they die.  It's a form of torture, basically, all in the name of medieval nutjobbery.

I'm not convinced that it is 'entirely different' at all. It's a grim activity (killing animals for meat) whatever way you look at it. Sparing an animal unnecessary suffering in its final moments may put some minds at ease, but I'm not sold that much of what we get up to is any more civilized or humane or whatever the argument is.

As someone originally with a  bit of farming background and having been a veggie for 18 years (now lapsed), I can assure you all that traditionally british farmed animals live a full and content life on carpet, have access to further education and free view and generally pass away peacefully once they feel they've become particularly succulent on a diet of fruit gums and cream soda.

At no point would they be treated like shit, stand in their own piss all day every day, eat rank silage because otherwise they'll go hungry, queue to be butchered and get a bolt in the head. I'm against halal butchery, but then I'm increasingly, once again, against all animal farming and slaughter not just the last 6 minutes. 

• Like 1

oh I've lapsed on quite a few things!

On the veggie front, I was veggie from the age of about 15 to early 30's but once I had kids I decided the best chance of a balanced start for them was to include meat and, importantly, let them have an informed choice. As such, if they were eating meat then I had to as well to set some sort of role model example. Back in the day I was quite into my trendy veggie politics sticking my 'animal based cancer research is a fraud' stickers everywhere. I even had a couple of trips out with some hunt sabbies that on weekdays work in the probate courts but at weekends basically went out looking for a country based ruck. That proved equally boring and scary so that got dropped as quick as possible without looking like a sissy.

It wasn't the smell of bacon that turned me, if that's what you mean.

I've gradually rolled back to being veggie 3 or 4 days a week again so might well go the full McCartney soon (ish).

What is the 'lapse'? If you have chosen to eat meat in some scenarios and not eat it in others then why would that be a lapse unless your decision to not eat meat was some kind of 'declaration'?

I'm not sure that 'deciding not to eat meat' equates to being vegetarian. Surely being vegetarian means that you have decided that you 'cannot' eat meat rather than you have decided that you shan't?

Pfft - the modern world and its lack of commitment. :P

I've been up since 4:30am, so perhaps the language is / was a bit clunky.

I originally became a veggie as part of my psychological war with my mother when I still lived 'at home'. However, very quickly, simply being a veggie kind of introduced you to veggie restaurants where postcards on pinboards get you into yoghurt knitting and all manner of broadly lefty nonsense. From there, being veggie becomes some sort of statement or manifesto.

As I say, solid vegetarian diet for a good few years no 'lapses' no secret midnight sausage (!). Saying that, if I was at a friends house, I wouldn't study the ingredients on snacks to make sure I never ate pigs rennet. I'd be polite and grateful.

Then, decided to stop rather than find out if my kids would do ok in school on a diet of cucumber and couscous.

I was fully convinced of the politics of veggie too, still am to be honest. But the justification did come as a secondary thing. I know this is hard to believe now, but in my past I had some quite fuzzy poorly focused lefty arsey opinions on everything. It takes a field the size of Belgium to grow fodder to grow a pig. We could just be growing the crops and eating them ourselves, much more efficient. Heck, this winter we could even use the now redundant pig field to build raised flood proof housing.

No meat or meat products for 18 years, then a diet that includes all the meaty stuff, I think I'm a lapsed veggie. What would you term it as? Other than dickhead?

...What would you term it as? Other than dickhead?

I wouldn't wish to be that rude.

I'm not questioning why you decide to be vegetarian or not (I think there are valid reasons on both sides) but rather how one could be 'veggie' part of a week and not all the time.

If the practicality is that the family isn't vegetarian but you, rather than imposing your decision on them, have decided to be as 'veggie' as possible (allowing for their choices) then I get that.

If it's a case of being vegetarian for 18 years and not being now (however much you may wish something different) then I'm not quite sure that 'lapsed veggie' fits unless you're also looking at it as some sort of pseudo-religious thang.

Edit: I'm genuinely being interested in your decision making rather than judgemental (I hope) about those decisions.

Edited by snowychap

I'm not meaning to suggesting I'm currently a part time veggie, sorry. I'm clearly currently a meat eater that some days gives it a rest. I don't have 'vegetarian Monday' or any of that tosh. I just often revert back to not eating meat. I think that maybe not eating meat every day is healthier for me and the planet?

For instance, today, on expenses I could eat anything I wanted. I've had nutty muesli, a three bean salad, some massively expensive M&S tomatoes, two apples and a greek style yoghurt. So today has been 'veggie' by default. Tomorrow there's every chance I could end up with a chicken curry.

So yes, thinking about my lazy language I used: I definitely used to be a vegetarian. Currently, I'm clearly a meat eater that often has non-meat days that I lazily refer to as veggie. I do this through habit / choice / health / keeping my hand in. I am however, heading towards going the full veggie again, now we're all grown up and the kids won't copy what dad does unthinkingly. I'm heading that way out of a desire to return to old convictions, personal politics and the one true path! Which does strongly suggest a pseudo religious element.

• Like 1

Â