All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

Is there no room for middle ground? There's nothing wrong with believing or not believing in God.

If they want to believe in some spiritual guff, and they made their own minds up after much thought, then fine.

The problem comes when people turn to religion, which is what this thread deals with.

Religion is a stain. A horrid, misogynist, homophobic, slavery-permitting, blood thirsty totalitarian stain.

• Like 4

Religion has done more harm, and continues to do more harm, in the world than good.

Not as much as your teaching.

Ok, I'll stop now.

Should have picked up on my shit grammar there.

• Like 1

Religion has done more harm, and continues to do more harm, in the world than good.

Ok, I'll stop now.

I didn't want to be mean.

I respect peoples right to believe, just not what they believe.  It's stupid.

Well then don't be surprised if some don't respect what you believe either.

Is there no room for middle ground? There's nothing wrong with believing or not believing in God.

If they want to believe in some spiritual guff, and they made their own minds up after much thought, then fine.

The problem comes when people turn to religion, which is what this thread deals with.

Religion is a stain. A horrid, misogynist, homophobic, slavery-permitting, blood thirsty totalitarian stain.

That's just an absurd generalization. The problem comes when people are incapable of accepting that other people have views that differ from their own and feel that it is then acceptable to address such differences with force. That goes for all beliefs, including politics and yes, atheism. There are plenty of people that are religious but are none of the things you just described. It's attitudes like that which help to cause conflict.

There are plenty of people that are religious but are none of the things you just described.

Good for them, but the texts speak for themselves.

They were written in a different time. If somebody chooses to do blatantly nasty or evil things because it's in their holy book then that's their problem and nobody else's. We have free will.

Mantis, you could start a fight in an empty room :D

It's just a discussion mate. No need for that.

There are plenty of people that are religious but are none of the things you just described.

Good for them, but the texts speak for themselves.

They were written in a different time. If somebody chooses to do blatantly nasty or evil things because it's in their holy book then that's their problem and nobody else's. We have free will.

Mantis, you could start a fight in an empty room :D

It's just a discussion mate. No need for that.

Oh chill out, it was a joke.

Ok, I'll stop now.

Almost Yodaesque, your grammar is.

But I feel sorry for those of you who don't believe in God. There is definitely something out there.

The exact mirror image of my thoughts on the subject.

Strange old world eh?

Â