PAUL MCGRATH - vote for in 20 yrs of premier league team

mikeyp102

as much as i love paul mcgrath, i wouldn't have him in the top 2 central defenders in the premiership.

I'd have Vidic, Stam on the team and even Terry ahead of him.

Saying that I still voted for him , out of the villa/ireland association

I have to seriously ask you if you've ever seen McGrath play. John f**king Terry? :shock: He's not worthy of even being compared to God. The other two ain't as good either, but Terry?

as much as i love paul mcgrath, i wouldn't have him in the top 2 central defenders in the premiership.

I have to seriously ask you if you've ever seen McGrath play. John f**king Terry? :shock: He's not worthy of even being compared to God. The other two ain't as good either, but Terry?

Even without considering mcGrath, Vidic and/or Stam wouldn't be in my team.

John Terry between 2004 and 2010 was a world class defender. And even now he is still a good defender judging by his performance last night.

John Terry in a conventional back 4 is shit, why is it I've never seen those level of performances for England? at Chelsea they played a Makelele/Essien or Mikel in front of him as Mourinho knew that if a striker faces up to him he's in trouble. On McGrath, watch that performance for Ireland against Italy, not one defender on that list has ever had a performance like that, considering the players he had with him. Stick Vidic, Rio, Terry in an AVFC side and they wouldn't meet McGrath's standards!

John Terry between 2004 and 2010 was a world class defender. And even now he is still a good defender judging by his performance last night.

Maybe so, but most of his game is built on determination, fighting spirit and being a good header. Not slow but not fast and decent in positioning. If Terry's world class McGrath was universe class. He had the determination and fighting spirit, was a good header, fast and, as people says, used to look like he'd read the script of the game before he played it.

Even without considering mcGrath, Vidic and/or Stam wouldn't be in my team.

I actually put Stam in my team, but that was mostly because I forgot about Adams. Still think Stam was very good.

Dont care how good/world class you think John Terry was or is Paul McGrath was easily the best Central defender I've ever seen. His decision making and reading of the game was simply mystical. He made defending seem the easiest thing in the world irrespective of who you stuck next to him. Just becaue he played for Ireland and not England or Italy doesn't make him any less world class than say Maldini or Baresi.

I don't agree with you on the Vidic/Stam thing (although they make up the top three with McGrath for me) - but I am gobsmacked that anyone could say Terry is better than McGrath.

For the team...

GK - Brad Friedel

Agonised between him and Schmeichel. In terms of ability Schmeichel has the edge but the sheer longevity and consistency of Friedel is nigh-on terrifying. Thinking about the level Friedel's performaning at today, at that age Schmeichel was all but a spent force. That shades it for me, only just but it does.

RB - Gary Neville

Slim pickings from that lot, and love him or loathe him Neville's the standout performer. My mouse hovered briefly over Lee Dixon, but it has to be Neville.

CB's - Paul McGrath, Tony Adams

Probably wouldn't be the smartest pairing out of that lot (glug glug!); I had Ferdinand, Terry, Stam and Vidić as contenders to partner God and eventually had to decide by process of elimination. Ferdinand? That drug test fiasco. Terry? word removed. Stam? Not in the Prem long enough. Vidić? Vidić... Vidić... well, he didn't have to overcome personal demons to reach the heights that Adams did, so Adams it is. Ridiculous, I know, Vidić is basically losing out by virtue of being a better sportsman. :P

LB - Denis Irwin

A little tougher to call than the RB's, and it came down to Irwin and Ashley Cole. Much in the same vein as elimating John Terry as a viable option, Irwin wins it by not being a word removed.

RM - Cristiano Ronaldo

Got to be really, hasn't it? Even against the non-hilarious options, he stands out.

CM's - Roy Keane, Patrick Vieira

Despite there being arguably superior players in the list, nobody in the history of the game would want to play against that midfield pairing. It's the footballing equivalent of lining the Great Wall of China with barbed wire and mounted turrets.

LM - Ryan Giggs

There's some phenomenal players to chose from there (and Harry Kewell), but again to keep up that level of performance for that long (and in a position that places such demands on speed and stamina, no less) is just mind-blowing. Ergo, it's got be Giggs.

FWD's - Thierry Henry, Ruud van Nistelrooy

Henry was the only easy choice. In hindsight, I think I regret choosing van Nistelrooy. I'd whittled it down to him and Bergkamp, and eventually chose based on sheer number of goals and in hindsight Bergkamp should probably get it on ability. After all, I'd ruled out Shearer despite his strike-rate (think I told myself I could justify it through lack of trophies and hairline-recedingness), it was disingenuous of me to then pick van Nistelrooy because of his strike-rate. Oh well.

Jon Terry was a key part of that Chelsea defence which was only conceding 18 goals a season for 2 years under Mourinho.

John Terry also got player of the year in 2004/2005 season. As with Mcgrath in 92/93 for a defender to get player of the season he must of been good. Because attackers are the ones who usually get the credit.

Look where Mourinho is now and look where John Terry is? John Terry winning Championships No when AVB was in charge it was always John's defensive partner's fault, like i said Makelele was a key player for Mourinho is guarding the back two, take that DM away which AVB tried and Terry gets found out as he has done with England. What you have to remember with McGrath, he never even trained, only played at games and still come out as the top player which is even more remarkable.

I aggree I love mcgrath - but if youre going for a team of 20 years, id also look at who did it for a long sustained period of time in the league......

My XI would go like this:

GK: David James

Dr: Gary Neville

Dl: Ashley Cole

DC: Rio Ferdinand

DC: Sol Campbell

Mr: Cristiano Ronaldo

Ml: Ryan Giggs

MC: Patrick Vieira

MC: Roy Keane

STR: Alan Shearer

STR: Thierry Henry

And people calling Mcgrath GOD, need to get a grip.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'd delete your account now mate.

You won't be welcome around this parish no more.......

:bonk:

A very good player, but calling him GOD is a bit silly and over the top.

Stop it. You're making it worse.......

You would have been better off admitting to some disgusting sexual perversion..... oh...... :lol:

Â