PAUL MCGRATH - vote for in 20 yrs of premier league team

mikeyp102

No Sir, that bridge has been burnt.

That says everything Troony. It's ok we all make mistakes.

Don't get me wrong, fair play to Neville, he played consistently in a team regularly winning competitions for donkeys......but to disregard Richards as a footballer and not to be in awe of his athletic ability is IMO a bit naive.

Surely these selections should be about ability rather than who won what the most.

Gary Neville a better footballer than Michah Richards?

Do me a favour love.(Richard Keys)

It's nothing to do with who won the most, it's about impact in the prem, and Neville has been a consistant quality RB for a long time, that for me beats Richards hands down.

I agree with what your saying about his athletic ability, but IMO this season has been his only stand out season, which makes him miles away from making a prem all time 11.

Before this season I only saw him as a child trapped in a body builders body, who made the occassional great run, and goal. His defending was very suspect.

Think there's a reason he was consistanly overlooked for England.

No Sir, that bridge has been burnt.

That says everything Troony. It's ok we all make mistakes.

Don't get me wrong, fair play to Neville, he played consistently in a team regularly winning competitions for donkeys......but to disregard Richards as a footballer and not to be in awe of his athletic ability is IMO a bit naive.

Surely these selections should be about ability rather than who won what the most.

Gary Neville a better footballer than Michah Richards?

Do me a favour love.(Richard Keys)

I'm sorry, are we saying Micah Richards is a better rightback than Gary Neville? Ah jayzis. I give up. One has, what, 8 PL titles or something like that? Now I can appreciate that you can be the weak link in a title winning side once, maybe even twice. But 'The Neviller' was a mainstay in a decade long domination of the English game and was also a captain of the side. Micah Richards has recently applied to be allowed to polish Neville's boots. He's still awaiting the response.

For the team...

GK - Brad Friedel

Agonised between him and Schmeichel. In terms of ability Schmeichel has the edge but the sheer longevity and consistency of Friedel is nigh-on terrifying. Thinking about the level Friedel's performaning at today, at that age Schmeichel was all but a spent force. That shades it for me, only just but it does.

RB - Gary Neville

Slim pickings from that lot, and love him or loathe him Neville's the standout performer. My mouse hovered briefly over Lee Dixon, but it has to be Neville.

CB's - Paul McGrath, Tony Adams

Probably wouldn't be the smartest pairing out of that lot (glug glug!); I had Ferdinand, Terry, Stam and Vidić as contenders to partner God and eventually had to decide by process of elimination. Ferdinand? That drug test fiasco. Terry? word removed. Stam? Not in the Prem long enough. Vidić? Vidić... Vidić... well, he didn't have to overcome personal demons to reach the heights that Adams did, so Adams it is. Ridiculous, I know, Vidić is basically losing out by virtue of being a better sportsman. :P

LB - Denis Irwin

A little tougher to call than the RB's, and it came down to Irwin and Ashley Cole. Much in the same vein as elimating John Terry as a viable option, Irwin wins it by not being a word removed.

RM - Cristiano Ronaldo

Got to be really, hasn't it? Even against the non-hilarious options, he stands out.

CM's - Roy Keane, Patrick Vieira

Despite there being arguably superior players in the list, nobody in the history of the game would want to play against that midfield pairing. It's the footballing equivalent of lining the Great Wall of China with barbed wire and mounted turrets.

LM - Ryan Giggs

There's some phenomenal players to chose from there (and Harry Kewell), but again to keep up that level of performance for that long (and in a position that places such demands on speed and stamina, no less) is just mind-blowing. Ergo, it's got be Giggs.

FWD's - Thierry Henry, Ruud van Nistelrooy

Henry was the only easy choice. In hindsight, I think I regret choosing van Nistelrooy. I'd whittled it down to him and Bergkamp, and eventually chose based on sheer number of goals and in hindsight Bergkamp should probably get it on ability. After all, I'd ruled out Shearer despite his strike-rate (think I told myself I could justify it through lack of trophies and hairline-recedingness), it was disingenuous of me to then pick van Nistelrooy because of his strike-rate. Oh well.

except Adams and Vieira for Vidic and Scholes that is actually my team. Stalker :P

I aggree - McGrath was the top knackers - but I went for Campbell & Ferdinand at centrebacks due to sheer longevity in the league, level of performance at the top level and a nice bulging trophy cabinet between them........ David James behind them, Gaz Nev and ashley "im really a bender" Cole either side of them.... Ronaldo, Vieira, Keane, Giggs in front of them supplyin Thierry Henry & Alan Shearer !!

Unbeatable !

David James? Really?

Don't get me wrong, he was a good keeper.

But if we're talking about pure ability, Schmeichel has him beaten by a country mile. And if we're talking about longevity in the league, then Friedel has him beat on that (and I'd argue Friedel has him beaten on abolity as well)

Â