Jan transfer window - rumours, speculation & suggestions

OnePablo

Diop: Yes good player now, but getting on a little bit. Not a player for the future and since he would cost approx £5million, MON will feel not worth it for what will ultimately be a short term option.

Diop is actually younger than McCann, but only 18 days though ;)

I agree with the limited avaiable players in the Prem, but what about abroad?

We are not experts, this is not our job. Surely there must be good enough players

outside of the country we could get a hold of?

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Diop is actually younger than McCann, but only 18 days though ;)

We are not experts, this is not our job. Surely there must be good enough players

Really??? But would you say Mccann is a player for the future?

Regarding the players outside the prem, perhaps MON felt they were really over priced, but like you said, we are not experts, the people at the club are.

At least I hope they are ;)

I was only joking about his age, I don't want Diop at the club.

That being said, a club does not need to have a DM in the first-XI.

Petrov and another solid player would be enough. Solid and attacking that is.

Fabregas isn't a DM, but Arsenal cope well without Gilberto who is. Not

saying we are signing anyone of Fabregas' calibre, but we don't need a DM for sure.

Carrick is sort of a DM, but he doesn't have a single defensive gene in his body.

Got it.

General Krulak here:

Bottom Line, Martin did not feel there were any other players out "there" who were AVAILABLE that could help the team. Now we need to get our team in synch with the new players and start getting results!!

3rd post down. I wouldn't lie to you guys :mrgreen: (although I wasn't sure if my mate was winding me up or not :angry: )

However, a later post on that page says

General Krulak here:

PLEASE don't misunderstand me....MON can certainly continue to operate as we close on the end of the window. My point is simply that he knows what he needs and what is available and will not go throwing money after someone who can't help the team.

It appears that the General posted that after I'd been sent the link above.

From what he's said on here and in his later post, there still might be a chance of a signing :cheers:

If you are from Watford, go to their games or know something we normal fans don't, then I excuse myself. Other than that, how can you know much about him?

From what I have seen, he is pacy (not Ronaldo/Henry-pacy) but lacks a bit self-esteem. When he dares he tries to beat players and gives a decent cross even though it is hard to judge when he had to pass to Watford-players!! Like I said, a great prospect and a future-star, but as of right now he isn't better than let's say Shaun Wright-Phillips. We have to differ current ability with potential ability, or else the pressure will crack the poor boy. He is only 21 or something.

Well I am from Watford (almost) and so I have seen him in the flesh a number of times.

He's a very solid Premiership standard player at present with plenty of potential. Much like Milner, he works bloody hard and has a great attitude off the field apparently as well. Hopefully this will help him to harness his potential. He has a good footballing brain, a decent free kick and will be a good player for us.

I wouldn't say he lacked self-esteem so much, but playing with better players will help him enormously IMO.

In generel Rocafella, I agree with your sentiments about him. He isn't the finished article just yet but is already good enough to be a regular for us, but will not set the side alight in the PL yet, let alone European competition.

Ah now you might have hit the nail on the head, nice post etc etc.

If you look at O'Neill's signings

Petrov, Sutton, Agathe, and possibly Mahoney were all known to him from Celtic.

He says that he has been following Carew's career since his days at Celtic so he's had him on his list for some time.

Young well I'd guess if you are looking for a young attacking winder he must top anyone's list

Doesn't suggest to me that O'Neill has managed to improve the scouting within the club too much as yet in comparison to other clubs.

It could also suggest.............. no I won't go there too inflammatory :)

Ah now you might have hit the nail on the head, nice post etc etc.

If you look at O'Neill's signings

Petrov, Sutton, Agathe, and possibly Mahoney were all known to him from Celtic.

He says that he has been following Carew's career since his days at Celtic so he's had him on his list for some time.

Young well I'd guess if you are looking for a young attacking winder he must top anyone's list

Doesn't suggest to me that O'Neill has managed to improve the scouting within the club too much as yet in comparison to other clubs.

It could also suggest.............. no I won't go there too inflammatory :)

Inflammatory? You? Never!

:)

If he has first hand experience of a player it's a million times better than getting a report from a scout.

Buying good players that he is familiar with is FAR from a weakness.

As much as I love McCann for his attitude and effort, sadly I just don't think he's good enough for where we want to be going. He's currently irreplaceable within our squad, but we need a DM who is more adept with the ball at his feet.

A lot of people have said similar things about McCann. They're all probalby right.

So If GM is "not quite good enough" why in the world have we not signed anybody to at worst deputise for him when he's out, or at best to replace him altogether??

But there aren't that many central midfielders around who can win balls as well as McCann does and at the same time distribute like angels (as McCann most certainly doesn't). They exist, but Vieira, Makelele and a handful of others.

Somebody to deputise for him? Yes.

Find someone better? One day.

Oh and Rocafella, although we may differ a little re McCann, you are in excellent form lately sir, hitting nails on heads left, right and centre (the guy was paying you a compliment).

Buying good players that he is familiar with is FAR from a weakness.

You would think wouldn't you

In addition improving squad size when the windowwas closed could hardly be described as a weakness

Just found this VIA Newsnow

It's all rumours right now but according to more than one website Manchester United player Alan Smith is at Bodymoor Heath for a fitness test.

Apparently he was also seen at Villa Park earlier in the day so the numbers add up, but how true this is we may never know.

Aston Villa had a bid for Smith accepted when he was at Leeds but the player turned it down. At the time I suggested it was because he had played for the previous incumbent before and wasn't stupid enough to do it again. Maybe I was right!

Well, we're still waiting for confirmation on the Shaun Maloney rumour and someone has said that the Freddy Adu rumour we mentioned earlier might not be as ridiculous as I had thought.

As and when I hear you'll hear. that's if I'm not walking to the fridge to get a beer.

Click